Advice On Rotary Machine Volts

Discussion in 'Machines, Equipment & Setup' started by ijzzBloc, 15 Mar 2017.

1. ijzzBloc

ijzzBloc Regular Member

Male
    NLD
    Michiel Hendrik
    So i have a Rapier 2 rotary machine gifted to me to start practicing. I havent done anything on real skin just the fake silicon skins.

I run my machine at 8 volts for the lining. works out pretty decent. can get clean steady lines with it. But i have absolutely no idea what cps it is running at. Does anyone know this? tried to contact the builder but did not succeed.

Tried some shading with it running it a ~ 5 volts. Not so good it went way to dark to quick maybe its just the greywash is to dark maybe the voltage is to high not sure. How can i figure this out except lightening the greywash wich i will try now.

2. Goldwingdaz

Goldwingdaz Donator Premium

Male
    Stoke on Trent
    Daz
    are you 'whip shading'? 'fill shading?', cross shading?' are you moving too slow? what needles are you using for shading? What inks are you using?
    all these factors make a difference. Voltage with a rotary will simply make the machine run faster or slower, it wont make it work better for anything, unless it suits your particular style, and i dont think you have found that yet.

Some of the folks on here are well versed with rotary, im sure they can help better, but her above info would help a lot if you can provide it. and welcome to the forum.

Premium opens doors to a lot of useful info for the serious learner as well as veterans. well worth the low price.

MalligaMallan likes this.
  3. PhillipCraig

PhillipCraig Regular Member

Male
    Indiana, USA
    Phillip
    Running too slow and moving too slow yes can cause extra bruising and darker coloring OR even splotches of missed spots.
    I agree. you need to find YOUR sweet spot when running the machine. and Move to the speed that YOU need to make the Art right !!!!.

4. troub1edsou1z

troub1edsou1z Premium

Male
    Pennsylvania
    Tom
    running your machine slower isn't going to cause more bruising, darker color, or holidays (missed spots). If anything it will take longer to get the piece done and if your hand is moving faster then the machine you could possibly get a lot of snagging.

you don't need to worry about CPS or any of that. you need to first know what you want your machine to do. If its being used to line then set it up to line. you really need at least 2 machines, otherwise you will constantly have to mess with any adjustments and thats more headache than its worth.....

5. whippet

whippet Donator Premium

UK
    Solo
    I think the cps is a pretty important factor when tattooing and requires different settings (faster to slower) from lining through to colour packing, shading in the middle somewhere.

Too slow for lining will produce broken lines, can be compensated for with a slower hand, but this is likely to impede smooth lining. Too fast for colour packing and you're likely to cause excessive trauma...burgering the skin.

Cps is central to tuning coils, though it can be affected via a whole range of variables, generally starting with air gap settings. Cps is controlled by volts directly on a rotary. Some new rotaries come with cps guidelines, albeit expressed in terms of volts, but clearly important enough to publish.

Goldwingdaz likes this.
  6. WilliamCaldwell

WilliamCaldwell Regular Member

Male
    USA
    William
    As I know Rotary machines run efficiently on the same voltage (about 5.75v to 7v) as a standard coil machine, so you don't need to buy another power supply. I'm right?