Another Sterilization Question?

Discussion in 'Infection Control, Sterilization & Aftercare' started by majestik815, 8 Feb 2010.

1. majestik815

majestik815 Regular Member

Does any one know if soaking tubes in polident then letting them soak in antibacterial cleansing liquid enough to consider them clean.
    I know some of u are saying "polident" whats that about. well it's antibacterial for one. and i kinda guessed the fizzing would help break loose some of the ink.
    just wondering. :rolleyes:

2. Slinky

Slinky Premium

Bradford-UK
    Perri
    another dumb ?

An autoclave would be considered the ONLY way of cleaning any stainless instrument. It isnt the breaking down of the ink. This is not why we "clean" our apparatus, its to stop contamination through blood, skin and any other micro organisms. Google, BBP, or Blood Borne Pathogens and you will realise the severity of cross contamination. Its all covered in the manual on here.

I know it sounds a bit harsh, but you wouldnt want to be operated on, knowing that the equipment had just been "washed".

3. Sonic

Sonic Premium

UK
    aarrgghhh
    Dumb Question

OMG. This is probably the only tattoo forum on the internet, where the fire wouldn't fly at a question like that!
    Autoclave ONLY.

Good job the mods here run an open minded forum...... :8:

4. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    Just read this old post n had to laugh (or else scream!)

BIN IT or AUTOCLAVE!!!!!

OMG!:icon_redface:

5. j3rz3y1

j3rz3y1 Premium

Benson, NC
    Frankie B
    Disposeble is the only way to go today , alot safer an alot less hassle . They are not that expensive if your going to charge your volenteer , lol :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: Ed :icon_cool:

6. ASH13

ASH13 Regular Member

USA
    TWM
    What about tubes/grips?

Im using disposable needles/tips, but my tube/grip is ss.

7. marked 4 life

marked 4 life Donator Premium

Male
    Staffordshire
    Andy
    The tube / grip still needs to be claved, no ifs or buts, it has to be done.

If you download the how to guide from this forum, the information on blood borne pathogens and sterillsation is second to non, worth downloading just for that.

8. tattytone

tattytone Premium

sunny essex
    Tony
    so nice to see good answers so many other sites bite your head off for asking this kind of thing, and i really put me off asking questions a bit.

but i do want to know this, i am learning at home and i will only be tattooing fruits pig skin and fake pooh skin, once i master these i will then move onto my legs, but i want to know what kind of AUTOCLAVE will be ok for home use ? some one said to me a baby sterelizer would be ok,but i cant see that working, and the other thing was sterelizing tablets, so would these be ok for what i am doing or can you suggest a cheap AUTOCLAVE that will be fine for home.

Thanks, this is a good forum and i am so glad i found it.

9. marked 4 life

Male
    Staffordshire
    Andy
    All the forms of steralising you mention wont work, it has to be autoclaved for re use, Instead of going to the expense of buying, maintaining and record keeping of a clave, use all disposable tubes instead, like the needles, single use then dispose.

If you are only tattoing fruit and fake skin then you dont have to steralise but it is good practice to treat fruit and fake skins as you would real skin to get into the habit of setting up, cleaning down working area and equipment, handling ink, changing gloves etc, treat the whole practice experience as a customer.

10. tattytone

tattytone Premium

sunny essex
    Tony
    i bought loads of dissposable tips but my grip is steel and thats what i am worried about ? i think dissposable is the best way.

11. ASH13

ASH13 Regular Member

USA
    TWM
    Same for me.

Ive only used mine on practice skin and myself. I boil the tube/grip in water for 10mins and then wipe them down with alcohol. Not sure if it does anything, but I cant afford to get everything disposable at the moment.

Also Im NOT going to tattoo anything except myself, practice skin, fruits until I get everything disposable.

12. jamesb

jamesb Premium

james
    i have a autoclave and lots of real good quality tubes/grips/tips i got pics up in th 4sale section im open to reasonable offers ;)

13. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    For sterilizing at home,you can use a 15 psi pressure cooker,but it must be 15 psi to kill the bacteria.....

14. tattytone

tattytone Premium

sunny essex
    Tony
    how do you find a 15 psi one ive looked and all the adds for them dont state psi.
    do you know a model that is 15 psi

15. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    If you have the cash for a pressure cooker - you'd be safer investing in disposables. You can always buy small quantities off ebay to start - keeps the cost down.
    I wouldn't risk anything other than an autoclave.

16. toetoe62

toetoe62 Donator Premium

When it comes to the most important thing in the tattooing business, I think you should either pay for a autoclave and don,t forget you will need a Ultrasonic Cleaner as well and do it properly or just stick to disposable tubes.

regards
    Tony

17. tattytone

tattytone Premium

sunny essex
    Tony
    Hi Dawn.

ive got loads of dissposable tips, but i have a steel grip and top tube. and its this i worry about to gt clean, my home smell of dettol as i use it to clean before and after my practice sittings, but i want to ge the grip clean and thats why i was looking a the 15 psi cooker.i only have the one grip at present but want a bigger one for more comfort.

thanks for your reply

18. tattytone

tattytone Premium

sunny essex
    Tony
    tottaly understand where your comming from tony and it i was in a shop or doing this as a living from home i would pay out for one, but at the moment i just want to pratice practice and practice more on pig skin and fake, and then move onto me, but i want to do this for a good year before i start to leave my mark on paying customers. i am very happy to plod along on me smelly pig skin lol but i want to make sure the grip i use is clean after use, and ive been soaking it in boiled water with a sterilizing tablet for 30 mins, not sure if this works, i also has the little brushes to clean it, then i spay it with dettol.

as i have loads or dissposable tips where the best place to get the dissposable grips from ?

thanks again for you feedback, its so nice to find a forum that willing to give advice

19. jamesb

jamesb Premium

james
    hi tony as far as im aware u cannot purchase a diss grip alone without a tip and backstem in it, the diss tips are for use in a ss grip, if "any" ss is used (tubes/grips/tips) they "have to be autoclaved there is no otherway other than an autoclave even if your still on piggy (but you are commited) get yaself a clave early on and get yaself into a good habbit on how to prosess the instruments and not pic up bad habbits ;) its more important to get this side more correct than the tattoo itself ;) hope this help bless

20. marked 4 life

Male
    Staffordshire
    Andy
    Dont forget if you get a clave it needs to be spore tested and recorded and did you know that only a vacuum autoclave is recogonised as been suitable to clean "hollow" instruments, non vac is ok for solid and dont forget how long the temperature has to be maintained for at a recognised psi, stick to all disposable, a lot safer, I buy mine from http://www.powerlinesupplies.co.uk/sterile_disposable_black_tattoo_tubes.asp