Art Books / Websites?

Discussion in 'Tutorials, Literature and Helpful Links' started by barcode1973, 21 Feb 2011.

1. barcode1973

barcode1973 Premium

Liverpool
    Lee
    I am trying to increase my art skills (shading/light sources/anatomy etc)
    I have found a few sites but they are really basic stuff and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a fgood starting book or site to start me off.
    I can copy a picture perfectly by hand and my lettering is ok its mainly the shadows and things i struggle with. I've tried the squinting method but I can't really get it (plus my contact lenses try to escape)

I dont want to go through my tattoing life just copying flash I have amazing ideas I cant translate to paper. Luckily my friend is an amazing artist and is willing to draw anything on request, line work and colour version but I feel I am cheating somewhat and I'd like to be able to look at a finished (or maybe not) tattoo and just know where to add a bit here and there to give it that extra bit of depth if that makes sense instead of constantly referring to my picture.

Thanks in advance for any idead / advice.

I do have paint shop pro I'm using atm to to all the work for me!

2. barcode1973

barcode1973 Premium

Liverpool
    Lee
    Here are a few sketches I have copied (by hand)

I know there's a little artist in me somwhere I just need help locating him!

Attached Files:

3. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
  4. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    I'm not being funny here, but it's a bit like learning to tattoo.... practice, practice, practice! You will have to be strict and sit down with a few drawing pencils - HB (hardest - sketch your outline), 2B, 4B, 6B (higher the no. softer the graphite for your shading) and a putty rubber to rub out the highlights. I am a qualified art tutor and would be happy to help, but you have to commit yourself to it! Good general sources are 'Artist and Illustrator' magazine and 'The Artist' both available from WH Smith etc. Maybe try copying a black and white photo? Don't give up.... it's not easy - but it'll be worth it! Tomorrow - if you have time, draw a glass bottle - an excellent exercise in light and dark and great for practicing shading! Then post it for us to see! No comic/cartoon characters allowed!;)

5. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    PS. Your sketches aren't too bad - they are just very flat! Keep it going x

6. barcode1973

barcode1973 Premium

Liverpool
    Lee
    I must admit I am a bit comic book only and my 2dness is my problem. I shall draw a bottle and post the results for you to judge.

And I shall leave all my guide lines in so you can tell me where i'm going wrong!

7. barcode1973

barcode1973 Premium

Liverpool
    Lee
    I've done a quickish drawing of a bottle with just a hb pencil. I will get some other pencils tomorrow. Plus I had it in the centre of the living room with only the overhead light so the light source wasn't very dramatic. And finally the bottle was 3/4 full when I started!

I thought the bottle shape was okish but the labels wrong and the lids pooh! should I give up now?

Attached Files:

8. toetoe62

toetoe62 Donator Premium

I think you mentioned the problem you have in the first sentence, the word quickish, you don't have to rush you drawings, take your time, you have already pointed out some of you own mistakes so why not put them right first, then post the drawing and ask how to improve it, but take your time, you will enjoy and feel much better when you see a better finished result, you are doing great, keep it up.

regards
    Tony

9. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    I think you have made a good attempt, but it is more of a sketch than a drawing if you know what I mean... Technically it is flat and shows no light source.. If you put a light on above a bottle there will be a dark side/s, working towards white light.. hope you understand what I mean.

Next time just concentrate more on the shape of the bottle - forget about its contents/lable etc. (it may not have any now in any case!! LOL! ) These things you can add later once you master the shape and form of the bottle. I'll try and dig out some old drawings and show you what I mean - that's the trouble really, you need to see an example. Don't give up though - honestly its not that bad:thumbsup: Anyway, you may decide vintage tatts or cartoon characters are your forte!:)

10. j3rz3y1

j3rz3y1 Premium

Benson, NC
    Frankie B
    Practice

Its been mentioned in this post already practice practice practice its not an over night thing but your well on your way already so keep up the good work an you will get there take your time an draw what you see it all comes out in the wash youll see:clap: Ed

11. barcode1973

barcode1973 Premium

Liverpool
    Lee
    Thanks people. I will some supplies as mentiones and try something simpler like a milk bottle and take more time. The comments are encouraging at least!

12. gazza

gazza Regular Member

uk
    gary shaw
    a good book drawing on the right side of the brain