Blurry Stencils

Discussion in 'Designs & Stencils' started by barcode1973, 27 Jan 2011.

1. barcode1973

barcode1973 Premium

Liverpool
    Lee
    My drawings improving my tattooing is getting lots better but I keep getting pooh transfers and its starting to annoy me a bit! I'm using genuine Hecto carbon paper (I hope) but it seems rubbish?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFqI7OKOCVY&feature=player_embedded

There's the link for the stuff I got off ebay I doubt its cheap stuff (£13 for 20)

see attached pic!

Thanks for any help / feedback

Attached Files:

2. MrSpoon

MrSpoon Premium

Derby
    Darren
    what are you using to transfer the stencil? i use dettol and i put a couple of drops on and smear it about with my finger so its evenly spread out and then give it a quick pat with a paper towel, chances are you'e applying the stencil while the dettol is too wet and it causing the stencil to "bleed" anothing thing is to carefully lay the stencil onop and then keep it in place with one hand using 2/3 fingers and yours a couple of fingers from the other hand to pressy the stencil in place being sure to press down all over the stencil but be carefull not to wipe the stencil or rub it as this will cause it to be all blurry and smear :(
    hope that solves it. :cool:

3. Tattooz

Tattooz Donator Premium

Male
    Sheffield
    Dave
    The reason is its far too wet. You need the smallest amount of fluid on there, and rub it about. The area wont even look wet.

Try it on your skin instead of pig skin, and you will see just how little fluid you need.

4. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    Also,the paper you are using is designed for thermal copiers,not hand done stencils,
    i find that hectograph paper gives a much better transfer,you can get it from,
    :thumbsup:
    ShorehamsRed.co.uk

5. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    Stencils

Keep experimenting with stencils, you will soon get it right but it does seem that there is too much stencil fluid used. As mentioned above try just a wiping a small amount of dettol or whatever you want to use onto your own skin, make sure it's just tacky 'NOT WET' and apply stencil apply a bit of pressure and remove carfully. It should only take a about about 10-20 seconds for the whole process.
    Hope This helps.

6. barcode1973

barcode1973 Premium

Liverpool
    Lee
    Ive read dozens of methods from speed sticks to dettol but the reason i bought that paper was in the video (have any of you watched it?) they just ise 1 dop of water, when i tried this nothing happened? I think i'll try that other brand mentioned. This part of the process is letting me down badly at the moment and believe me i've tried different ways. thanks for the advice though i shall reduce my fluid level accordingly!

7. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark

when you apply the transfer,wait till the dettol is sticky on the skin,then put it on,gently press it down for a few seconds & peel off......WAIT TILL IT DRIES BEFORE TATTOOING ( i use this time to set up the machine ).;)

8. Tattooz

Tattooz Donator Premium

Male
    Sheffield
    Dave
    I'm using some cheap crap i got with my Thermal copier from China (100 sheets) at the minute, just to use it up. It is simply how wet it is that is causing the smudging. I always used Spirit, and i have quite a lot upstairs, and it is definately the best!

Honestly, you try it on your skin, and you will see what i mean. :)

Spirit paper, whether it is the three sheet or two sheet kind, is the same stuff, so is fine for hand tracing. It just has a shitty tracing paper stuck to it thats all.

9. barcode1973

barcode1973 Premium

Liverpool
    Lee
    Ive just gone right through this site and I can't find them?
    DOH!

Ok scrap that I found em

Its the same stuff!!!!

10. inkstar

inkstar Premium

i use 100% alc and a few drops of detol mix in a bottle a few drops of detol just so it duznt dry to fast so i can line up the pic, but you,s was to wet, the alc dry's very fast, also i use lunch wrap wax paper

Last edited: 20 Jul 2011
  11. toetoe62

toetoe62 Donator Premium

i would swap to neat dettol, not only the cheapest method but also the stencil will last until the end of the job, also when you go on to real skin what can be better to kill germs.

12. akka

akka Premium

uk
    Ben
    i always had problems with stencils unttil i tryed using greaseproof paper instead of tracing and dragonsblood stencil fluid on the recomendation of an artist friend it seems to work fine for me me but like enything else took practice give it a try and see if it helps

13. InkDrop

InkDrop Premium

FIRST - It definitely looks like you are putting the stencil on while the skin is too wet. Let it dry and get a bit "tacky" first.

SECOND - Don't rub the stencil, once it is on the skin. Press on it only. Careful not to move it around. Start at the center of the stencil and work your way out "lightly" pressing as you go.

THIRD - some paper saturates faster than others, so if you are placing the stencil while the skin is still too wet, this will only make it worse. Experiment with different types of paper. lightweight computer paper works well depending on how flat the area is you are placing the stencil