Don't Laugh But... Practice with a Nintendo DS

Discussion in 'General Chat & Advice' started by barcode1973, 20 Jan 2011.

1. barcode1973

barcode1973 Premium

Liverpool
    Lee
    I know this might sound stupid and you may all be semi pissing yourselves at the title but I have found this good practice for the weight / feel of using my tattoo gun I MEAN MACHINE.

What you do is get your (or your kids in my case) DS and get your machine tube and grip (and cord for ultra realism if u wish) and insert the DS stylus instead of needle or just use a plastic tube, then hopefully you have a copy of Art academy. Try and do the full course using this setup and you can see how much more difficult it is compared to just using the stylus.

Obviously the tuning, needle depth and all other important aspects aren't covered but for starting out and getting used to the "feel" of the g... machine it's quite helpful.

Any feedback people? I thought it was clever?

2. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    I used to put a pencil in the machine instead of a tube when drawing,its the easiest way to get used to the weight of the machine.

3. MrSpoon

MrSpoon Premium

Derby
    Darren
    would come in handy if you were to tattoo a robot one day i guess, or someone with a flat forehead ;)

4. MrSpoon

MrSpoon Premium

Derby
    Darren
    thats a good idea, you can get them silicone grips that youy can slide over the pencil for a more accurate feel i reckon?

i had a disposeable grip and tip and that was a full lenght tip/backstem with a rubber grip in the middle (same diameter hole in the middle as a tip/stem etc, nice snug fit) bet you could just slide one off them and onto the pencil even glue it in place if its gonna help you practice :cool:

5. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    that's what i did...put the rubber grip on...works a treat.

6. MrSpoon

MrSpoon Premium

Derby
    Darren
    ah i really cant be bothered to go get a pencil now :cheesy: im so lazy

7. barcode1973

barcode1973 Premium

Liverpool
    Lee
    Hmmm thanks for that slightly sarcastic response MrSpoon. Agreed it's not the most realistic surface but pencil and paper is pretty flat as i recall plus it had various brushes that emulate the flow of ink as well as giving the less artistic amongst us some handy tips.

I shall keep all my genius brainwaves to myself in future.... Honestly I don't know why I bother...... Give us me ball back i'm goin home etc.... :p

It wasn't the practicing with the DS bit that U was advising it was the DS and art academy (no im not on commision) The pencil practice is good it the various brushes that made the DS more unusual.

I shall say no more

8. MrSpoon

MrSpoon Premium

Derby
    Darren
    i wasn't trying to put down the DS idea, i've never tried it so i really wouldnt know, it was just light hearted banter :cool: keep ideas coming, i've made many suggestions on forums over the years regarding different techniques for other things outside of tattoing and some liked the ideas, some just laughed and was unwilling to try due to being stuck in their ways, if we dont all add our suggestions and opinions it would make for a boring non opinionated forum, which defeats the object of having a forum i guess.
    dont take anything i say to heart, its all banter :)

9. barcode1973

barcode1973 Premium

Liverpool
    Lee
    Dear MrSpoon

I thought the "have my ball back etc" bit with a smileey face with a sticky out tongue emphasized my not tkaing it to heartyness??
    I accept your grovelling apology and will indeed continue to post genius ideas in this forum. I have called the boys off and your back on the crimbo card list.
    Plus it's hard to take offence at somebody who has apparently just "nipped out" to button moon and will I have it on good authority "be back soon?"

keep up the fine work, peace out word to your aunty izznit blah blah blah (gun noises not like droning on noises) northwestsidey and all that jazz

Still BMX champ as well I see? Matt Hoffman my arse! (or whoevers good these days? I used to have a raleigh burner with mag wheels like 23 years ago I could nearly do a bunny hop)

I swear by clarence the cross eyed lion all future posts will be tattoo related but you must admit tattoo artists generally seem to be a bunch of humourless *******s (ooooh controversial) and I thought i'd add a touch of cheeky scouse humour coz werr all ded dunny wen werr not robbin carz an dat. Eh eh karm down wiv de stereotypin or ill friggin smashyeredin.

10. MrSpoon

MrSpoon Premium

Derby
    Darren
    haha well i've just woke up with a stinkin hangover and forgot i replied on this last night, tis hard to judge where people are coming from readin messages on a forum and being drunk i guess, your right alot of tattoo artists seem misserable tossers and do need to have a sense of humour, think id go insane without it really :cry:

11. barcode1973

barcode1973 Premium

Liverpool
    Lee
    what the ***k?

wow you can't say *******s that's a bit ******g stupid isn't it?
    ***k me this censorship ***t is going to far you shower of star inserting ****s.

I will keep it clean in the furture.