Favourite Positions? Tattoo That is ;) LOL

Discussion in 'Tattooing Technique' started by WilD, 21 Mar 2011.

1. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    Hi - me again,
    sorry if you're all gettin sick of my questions!

It's sort of 'buggin' me a bit as to the best position to sit/lie someone in to do a tat on them! I struggled a bit yesterday with the forearm cover up - had him sat up - and now realise he'd have been better lying down - to give me something to lean on instead of hands wavering about in mid air!

So - if you don't mind, I'd appreciate some suggestions... I realise some may seem obvious - but it'll help me - and maybe others who are new to real skin - or about to start.

eg. Arm - inside - outside, back piece, shoulder, legs - inside, outside, feet...

sorry if this seems an odd post - but I would appreciate any suggestions, - and also any crucial 'can't do without' equipment? :eek: Now I am relating to tattooing here - so minds out of the gutter please!

Dawn :p

2. mxtattoo

mxtattoo Premium

cheshire
    Rob
    useful section in manual

Hi Dawn there is a good section in the manual about this!. i am no expert on this as you probably know! but from what i see most people when doing forearms use either, a stand/arm rest, or have the tattooee hold tattooers leg, thus allowing you to hold the back of the arm allowing you to stretch the skin on the front of the arm. Hope this helps, Cheers, Rob.:rolleyes:

3. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    Hi Dawn

When doing inside forearm I find the easiest way is to have them lay down with their arm spread out to the side resting on a arm-rest (Like a crufix). The same for outer forearm except the arm is better if the upper part is at right angles to their body and then the lower arm is pointed down towards heir feet. You will need an arm-rest for this aswell, but it's a comfortable position for both parties. Use the arm-rest for upper arm as well and if you position it correctly you can rest your elbow on it to help you.
    With the back I usually have them stradle a chair which can be raised and lean over the back rest, this seems to keep the skin stretched and is quite comfortable and if you have an adjustable chair as well you can adjust it to suit wha ever height you want to be. I use the office type chairs with wheels on. Alternatively they can lay face down on your new bed with their arms hanging down the sides or resting them on the arm rest underneath the bed.
    Feet are best done with them sitting on the bed with their feet resting on a chair. Front upper legs are easiest for me if they just sit normally on a chair lower leg and back of upper leg is easier face down on the bed.
    I hope this helps I have rambled on a bit.

Pat

4. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    Thanks guys - I'll have a look at the manual Rob - good idea, and Pat - sounds like I will def have to invest in an armrest as don't have one yet - but very helpful answers, cheers:thumbsup:

5. RTats

RTats RTats Premium

South West
    Rob
    Yep I agree - can't beat a good arm rest. I purchased the light weight one from one of the online retailers and it broke after about 5 tattoos; the bracket on the back of the rest itself broke out. I have since added a new backing to the arm rest and bolted the bracket into that and it is a solid as solid gets - its lowest height is now an inch higher than before - but its steady as a rock.

6. GreekGodofSex

GreekGodofSex Regular Member

athens
    Goran
    can you share with us the link? I am looking for armrest too.tnx

7. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    Most of the Tattoo suppliers sell arm rests, Killer-Ink, Barber DTS, The Tattoo Shop etc, or try ebay.