First Pig-long Way to Go

Discussion in 'Pig & Fake Practice' started by graeme, 15 Mar 2011.

1. graeme

graeme Premium

Denny, Scotland
    Graeme McKay
    Thanks again to everyone for the friendly welcome. I have attached my first piggy practice. Got to admit, I was far too impatient, thawed the skin for 6 hours in cold water, gave it a few quick dabs with a tea towel and attacked it with a machine, no stencil (still waiting for the postman to bring the stencil stuff) no pen lines(think the skin was still too damp, pen wouldn't take) so just stuck a needle into the poor piggy and made some lines:eek:. I then tried a bit of shading after letting the skin dry out and the needles bounced off the skin and machine started spluttering.Like I say, a long way to go:) P110313_201951.jpg

2. mxtattoo

mxtattoo Premium

cheshire
    Rob
    Freehand

Looks good for free hand mate well done! just imagine what you will do with the aid of a stencil. :clap::thumbsup:

3. toetoe62

toetoe62 Donator Premium

well done

You are bang on the money Graeme, with your practising, it is best to stay away from designs with long strait lines until you progress, saying that I used to practise the same sort of thing you have done but then on the spare bits of practise skin or piggy draw with a ruler some strait lines and just go for it, also triangles and squares because if you are using diamond (v) shaped tubes then this is a good way of practising the write direction you should be going in. Just until the stencil stuff comes try using some of you green soap or a squirt of green fairy mixed with dettol, I find it much better and a lot cheaper, great first effort, good luck for the future and enjoy yourself.

Regards
    Tony

4. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    Hi Graeme

That's a good first atempt, I have found that by soaking the pig skin in hot water straight from the freezer for about 10 - 15 mins is enough, then dry it with kitchen roll and apply stencil or marker pen whilst the skin is still warm. You will find that it's much easier to get a good stencil and you can use a skin marker, however the skin markers didn't work for me when the skin was cold. Keep practicing and look forawrd to seeing more of your work. Well done:thumbsup:

5. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    Hi Graeme,
    think we're all a bit impatient to get going at first - so no different to anyone else! Not bad, but if you read all the posts about prepping the skin - like Pat says, its better a bit warmer - room temp, and a scrub with a scourer and hand soap I find works ok, before you start to apply your stencil fluid....

Keep it up - will look forward to seeing the next one :thumbsup:

6. graeme

graeme Premium

Denny, Scotland
    Graeme McKay
    Thanks

Thanks for all the great advice. I will definitely be trying the skin that way. Picked up a couple of grapefruits today mostly to practice tuning and getting a feel for the needles rather than waste some piggy, although I am lucky enough to have a butcher in the family who can supply as much as I want:cool:
    Regards to all.