Help with Stretching the Skin Around Loose Areas

Discussion in 'Tattooing Technique' started by Reaper G, 9 Mar 2011.

1. Reaper G

Reaper G Premium

N.e lincs
    Paul g
    Hey all was wondering if any one has any tips with regards to stretching the skin around the love handle area I have done another sitting on the dragon back piece will post a pic asap I found as I went around the love handles area near the ribs the lines were really jumpy and scratchy I tried to stretch it in all kinds of directions but I never got it quite right I also tried to slow my pass down but again it helped a bit but not that much I'm a bit gutterd I had got the piece spot on all my lines were cock on until I hit that area I no I can fix the bad lines with the grey wash but still would have been nice to have it all solid.:(

2. MrSpoon

MrSpoon Premium

Derby
    Darren
    im sure when i've seen this area being done on miami ink they get the client to lie on their opposite site and raise their arm up over their head, then again upon raising my arm that could just be higher up the ribs, i have no tv at the minute to check

3. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    Hi Reaper,
    Have been watching some of the DVDs bought from Lucy and funnily enough they gave a tip for this type of thing - although can't back it up myself personally.... What he showed was the hand he used to tatt was pulling the area one way by using the side of his hand/fist whilst holding his machine (if that makes sense?) and his thumb and first finger on opposite hand doing a 'spider' think he called it which was basically pulling the skin apart - so a 3 way stretch. The guy was on a couch lying flat face down. Don't know if this helps? Did you get the dvd's yet - there may be a specific topic on them?
    Dawn

4. Reaper G

Reaper G Premium

N.e lincs
    Paul g
    Hi thanks for the replies I will try him on his side I can see how that would help I have just hot the DVDs am hoping to have a look today I have tried the 3 tier stretching and it's not easy when you move your wrist with the machine the stretch loosens off it maybe I am doing it wrong tho again thanks I will take a look at the DVDs how's the move going you sorted yet ?

5. jamesb

jamesb Premium

james
    hi reaper yea lay them on there side arm over the head and do a "3-way" stretch, (2 fingers as usual) andthen the palm ya hand to strech to, orrrrr still lay them on there side an use some paper towel in your hand to help grip the skin there is a vid on it in the vid section on this site and i no both ways work ;)

6. MrSpoon

MrSpoon Premium

Derby
    Darren
    the moves going ok i guess, nearly everything is packed away and loaded into my parents garage as im moving in with them temporarily untill the people im buying off sort themselves out, they cant complete by the 11th (the day i gotta get out my flat) as they haven't sorted out whatever they ened to do to buy their relatives empty house, so i've gotta wait it out, annoying thing is they're supposed to be no onward chain :rolleyes:

7. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    Hi Paul

I have been asked to do a large tattoo on the ribcage from just under the arm pit down to the waist. Unfortunately she is pretty big (over 20 stone) and so I will have stretching problems as well. I think the only way is to have somebody help me stretch the skin because there is so much of it. Or I might just decline and make some excuse, but I could get a lot of business from it so don't know what to do. I have told her I can't do it until the summer so have a bit of time to get more practice in and maybe a more substantial bench.:eek: Has anyone else done one on somebody of these proportions? If so please let me know how you handled it, or is it not actually possible.:1 This is her first tattoo so do you think she has been turned down elsewhere, I'm to scared to ask her, and if I'm honest I'm to scared to tell her that I can't tattoo her because she is too fat, and I can't find anything in the manual on how to be tactfull to fat people.:eek:

8. jamesb

jamesb Premium

james
    hi pat ;) yes its very posible to tattoo "bigger" folks, the 1 thing you will need to avoid tho is going over "stretch marks" its not good skin to tattoo be very carefull with stretch marks if it means you have to move the design or rework it to go around the stretch marks id strongly advise you do that, if you could have a freindly curtious polite cht with her tho about what the tattoo will look like if she looses alot of weight if she is around 20stone then if she lost a fair bit of weight shel have a bit of "excess"-(sorry was only word i cud think of)" loose skin ,the skin looses form and so will the tattoo and if its as big as she wants maybe a bad choice, i jst like to think of the future and you said its her 1st tattoo so she kind of dont understand this just my thoughts hope this helps mate :thumbsup:

9. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    Hey Paul,
    You should invest in a portable massage table,they are available on eBay for around £75.......much easier to lay a client down to do work such as ribs,chest,back,legs...etc......:thumbsup:

10. toetoe62

toetoe62 Donator Premium

talk to her

Hi patrick, next time you see her say to her, have you lost some wait, this is a nice way of you getting into a conversation with her so you can explain to her the problems you can have with tattooing bigger people, especially when they lose or put on wait, she has probably been large for a long time and will appreciate your concerns, and maybe you could suggest a smaller tattoo somewhere els, on her arm or something.

regards
    Tony

11. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    Hey Pat,

I would just be very honest - say you don't mean to embarass her or cause offence - you will be 'happy' to do it, as long as she appreciates the effects of possible weight loss in the future.

Think Toe's suggestion of perhaps considering another area may be an option - but chances are she has set her heart on it - so do it for the lass!!!:p

12. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    Thanks everyone

Tony I like the flattery idea of telling her she has lost weight, but if anything she is getting bigger so she will probably think I'm taking the p**s. However she has got a sense of humour in fact she reckons that if I can tattoo pig skin I will have no problem tattooing her. I think I will advise her to have a smaller tatt at least to start with, and somehow tell her how it would look when she loses weight.:eek:
    As usual thanks for all you help.

Pat