Hoodlum Tattoo Machines

Discussion in 'Suppliers & Product Ratings' started by akka, 16 Feb 2011.

1. akka

akka Premium

uk
    Ben
    just looking at their website their stuff looks well made and resonably priced
    has enyone had eny experience of them?

thanx in advance

2. Tattooz

Tattooz Donator Premium

Male
    Sheffield
    Dave
    They are just cheap machines that have had a respray and a new contact screw. Have a look around Ebay, and you will see the machines in black for around £15.

I bought one about 12 months ago, and all the paint stuck on my fingers. First time you wipe with detergent its finished!

A machine is as good as its setup/springs, etc. :rolleyes:

3. akka

akka Premium

uk
    Ben
    cheers mate ill steer well clear

4. toetoe62

toetoe62 Donator Premium

micky sharps

there is a micky sharps for sale for around £80 on a swap site I use sometimes, he may take less. www.swapz.co.uk

regards
    Tony

5. tat2zoo

tat2zoo Premium

cheshire
    Paul
    Hi everybody i have just looked at the site and the machines are fakes $30 from china be very carefull with micky sharpz most are fakes:mad:

6. barcode1973

barcode1973 Premium

Liverpool
    Lee
    I looked at those hoodlum machines and was thinking about one myself so thanks for the warning. Regarding mickey sharps machines the dodgy lookin website in one of my previous posts sells exact replicas with boxes and certificates for around $50!

7. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    machines

I have been using both shader and liner for several weeks which I bought from Supertatz, they are both really good and I would recommend them especially as they are so cheap. I have bought far worse machines for double the price of these.:thumbsup:

8. Mez

Mez Regular Member

Stourport
    Mez
    hoodlum machines

Steve baggrz builds the hoodlum machines, and he has been building them for years.
    I've been using hoodlum walker liner and iron brass shader machines for ages and
    they are just as smooth and solid as my sharpz t-dial and contraption machines,
    and cost half the price. :thumbsup:

9. barcode1973

barcode1973 Premium

Liverpool
    Lee
    I think were in danger here of damning someone on one bad review kinda thing? I have heard good things about these machines lately and his feedback is all good (apart from one which is the same complaint as on here) I don't think they are the same cheap china ones with a spray job and new spring? Anyone actually got one apart from the one unhappy dude?

10. Daz

Daz Premium

Worcestershire
    Darren
    Luo's Tattoo Machine

Hi has anyone head or used these machines Custom Handmade pure copper Luo's Tattoo Machine

11. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    Just had a look at his machines online & they look ok,also checked out his website TATTZOO.CO.UK all looks ok..

12. maggot

maggot Premium

Surfleet UK
    colin
    i decided to get the hoodlum blue liner which arrived today and ive got to say build quality is superb and it runs and sounds much much better than my other machines which cost about the same from killerink so if your looking for a decent budget machine so far i cant fault it only £45 with p&p took a week as he had none ready

13. akka

akka Premium

uk
    Ben
    ordered a cuple today been looking into all his feedback etc and for the money they look like a good buy :)
    been getting a bit frustrated with my upggraded kit machines (i replaced all but frames) so at worst theyl do untill i put the decent parts in better frames but hoping ther as good as the revews :thumbsup:

ill try and write a short reveiw once ive got em and tryd em :thumbsup:

14. mauno31

mauno31 Regular Member

Viljandi
    Mauno Kabanen
    Hey akka, i want buy those machines also, so i need your review :cool:

15. akka

akka Premium

uk
    Ben
    ill get it writen onece ive had them tested out etc the service is spot on so far and steve who makes them is good with keeping in toutch he builds them to order and tunes them to your requirements
    mine have been built and sent so just waiting for them to be delivered :thumbsup:

16. maggot

maggot Premium

Surfleet UK
    colin
    hes not taking anymore orders until after easter so he can catch up

17. akka

akka Premium

uk
    Ben
    DSC00502.jpg DSC00503.jpg DSC00500.jpg as promiced here is my revew on my 2 new machines from hoodlum tattoo
    first off id like to say theese are defenatly NOT cheap ebay machines with a new paintjob
    each machine is made to order (so factor this in if you order as does affect delevery time)
    i ordered 2 a liner and a soft shader
    frames are nice and thick and fineshd by heat treating also have brass binding posts and contact screws frames are engraved with date of manufacture
    i chose to have mine pre tuned as a nice chrisp liner and soft shader (the exact words i gave Baggerz the machine builder) but you can order the machines without specific settings if your a tinkerer
    on opening the packaging i ws pleasantly suprised as the build quality far surpasses what i was expecting for around £40
    each machine comes with a garrentee card with the voltage and needle grouping that was used in tuning i found the voltage on the shade4r to be spot on but i did have to turn it up on the liner but only by0.35 (witch could be my crappy power pack)
    on to how they perform
    f
    irst the liner once set up the liner felt alittle heaveyer than what i had been used to but once id got used to it i was putting in solid consistant lines first pass asnd found it a lot easyer to do so than before the liner runs nice and smooth with minimal bogging down in the skin it also seems to feeln softer (hurts less) also ther appered to be no heating up after use
    now the shader once id set up the shader and set to the voltage on the card i set it running and it felt super smooth with no rattles and minimal viberation due to the thicker frame no doubt
    on use i was surprised at how easily ink was going in cause previously ive had to really work the skin to create darker areas
    the shader is a joy to work with and defenatly has improved my work and work speed as with the liner ther is no heating up after use
    all comunication with the builder was spot on and whould defenatly buy another (im thinkin something to specificly put in solid coulor)
    so if ur after a good easy to work with machine thats solid and british built and at a price that doesent hurt ur pocket too mutch give steve baggerz a shout at http://www.tattzoo.co.uk

apolagys for my spelling i know its shite
    Akka

18. 13crows

13crows Premium

kent
    neil
    ive had there machines cost around the 80 mark each and were well worth the money,,the colour packer hit well and always layed black in thick ,,brilliant machines for those that are getting started ,,,as for sharpz i still got a liner laying around somewere ,,had more probs with setting up that than the cheaper machines ,,best place to get one is at a convention then you no you have the real deal ....brighton coming up soon so hope your all saving your pennys lol:icon_biggrin:

19. Chops

Chops Premium

Australia
    Steve
    I grabbed a set of 3 of these machines, and they are pretty good. Not sure if it was the shipping to Australia but the liner was a little problematic. The tuning card said it ran at 7.5v with a 7RL - but mine wouldn't start until it hit 16v which is a massive difference. I took it apart and realized the bottom coil needs a shim, but i didnt have anything small enough. I just took the springs apart and reduced the bend on the front spring, after that it ran well at 9v so I left it alone. I intend to shim it still. The other two ran within 0.2v of what the card said.

Overall id recommend these. They are well priced and even did custom coil pictures for free on all 3 so I was very happy with that! Their customer service is excellent too. I think I either just got a 'dud' or it was damaged in shipping. It was packed in a small box with maybe 3 or 4 foam peanuts so I wouldn't be surprised if it got a hard knock. Not hoodlums fault though.

20. Tarantula

Tarantula Premium

Jais
    If you can't find a small enough shim just file a bit off the bottom of the other one, or put a sticker or 2 instead of shim. If the coils dont work as well as expected measure the depth of the drilled holes in the coils, usually they have beed drilled out deeper than needed and you can fill this with some wire wool. also see what the frame is made out of and add a yoke if needed for a stronger magnet.