Large Tattoo Stencil

Discussion in 'Designs & Stencils' started by toetoe62, 17 Feb 2011.

1. toetoe62

toetoe62 Donator Premium

To do a large tattoo, something like a full back or chest is it best to draw the outline on first or do you still make a stencil, I’m asking this because everything like the tracing paper comes in the same size a4, which is to small, so what is the best way to do it.

Regards
    Tony

2. akka

akka Premium

uk
    Ben
    you can buy greaseproof paper in a roll (for baking) i actualy find it to work better for stencils and you can just cut to watever size you want :thumbsup:

3. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    how does that work then? can you buy the 'carbon' type copy in big sheets just on it's own? - sorry may be common knowledge, but I am still new to all this!

4. akka

akka Premium

uk
    Ben
    not sure on the carbon paper you culd allways tape 2 sheets together on the back
    ill ask if i can get it eny bigger next time i go to the staitionary place
    i normaly just get carbon paper in a4 sheets

5. toetoe62

toetoe62 Donator Premium

large tattoos

thanks for the reply, i'm not to bothered about the carbon paper because at that stage you can just put two pieces under the grease proof paper and if you miss a bit where the gap is you can just go over the bits that are missing, I have even some times on small designs not used tracing paper at all and just made a copy of the design and put the carbon striate under the copy and done it that may but with a large piece I think you need to see through the tracing paper to make sure it's in the correct position. When I first got into tattooing I thought it will cost about £200 but it's amazing what you don't realise you will need to buy, just to do the job.

6. Starbuck42

Starbuck42 Premium

UK
    Kevin
    Tracing paper can be bought on large rolls from Staples, and even on FEEbay.

Regarding the hectograph/stencil paper, you only need A4 sheets to do any sized stencil. Think about it??

Trace what you can, then simply move the same piece of hecto under a different part of the design, and do that bit, on and on and on!

An A4 sheet of Good quality Spirit Hectograph paper can be used a dozen times or more.

7. Xaphaniel

Xaphaniel Premium

Inverclyde
    Robb
    On one occasion before tattooing on the wife it was an A3 design she wanted done for full length of her thigh but i had gotten Stencil Pencils or hectograph pencils from ebay i had seen them originally on a training vid from Spalding the only thing is you have to draw it on the tracing paper or grease proof paper (Fantastic idea kudos for that one) in reverse so it goes on the right way when its turned over and placed on the skin

the pencils are a bit of a pain they have to be sharped with a knife or sanding block and are really soft so ona big design you end up spending most of your time sharpening it
    it was a guy in stirling scotland i got them off of he has an ebay shop if you want will try find it for you

8. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark

I have tried these hectograph pencils,what a pain they are,like you said,they just keep breaking where they are so soft,i ended up just throwing mine away.

9. barcode1973

barcode1973 Premium

Liverpool
    Lee
    I have seen those pencils on ebay and way thinking of getting some as I asked my girlfriend to get some tracing paper and she told me about greaseproof paper being the same stuff loads bigger and cheaper. One supplier on ebay actually stated that they were a mare to sharpen and you needed a stone / knife so I gave up on the idea. Joining 2 or more a4s together I can imagine to be a beach also? I have smudged a stencil of my lef mid tat and re aligning another one is hard enough? (still unable to do it)
    This I suppose is were being an artist as apposed to a tracer comes in handy

10. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    hey lee,
    You can also get A3 tracing pads for kids...i got one for a quid,the paper is nice & thin,brilliant for stencils,cant remember the shop name...ooops,will ask the missus later.

11. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    Hi all

I bought some A3 tracing paper from killer ink it is TECHNIK ART Brand and works really well. There is also a website printed on the back www.tollitandharvey.co.uk it may be worth a look. For some stencils I just cellotape a photocopy of the picture I want to use striaght onto the hecto paper and trace over it. There is no need to trace it twice this way, however I wouldn't recommend this way if there is lots of detail, and make sure you use a copy of the flash / picture "not the original" because it will get covered in pencil lines.

12. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    A3 Paper

Just googled Technikart and there are loads of suppliers around £4 for 40 sheet pad A3 tracing paper and also drawing pads etc. Hope this helps.

13. Xaphaniel

Xaphaniel Premium

Inverclyde
    Robb
    I know we got the same kind of kids tracing pad from a bargain book type shop in Irvine it was thin as well sort of same type as you get inside the hecto paper

14. Albionwolf

Albionwolf Regular Member

Back in the day for a big piece I'd use big rolls if greace proof it's actually better than tracing paper if u get a decent one and just use that with the spirit paper underneath get a decen pen so you don't rip through it can be a real pain now I just cut the design up whiz it threw a thermal copier then piec the transfers back together saves loads if time best £90 I ever spent and a perfect transfer every time better to do by hand at first though so you get used to doing it incase the machine breaks down and you would be screwed

15. bdahyrt

bdahyrt Premium

south fork,pa
    Rick
    I got some stencil pencils from superior tattoo, they work pretty good, sharpen with a regular pencil sharpener. Not sure if they ship outside the US or not though.