Looking for a new tattoo machine.. Any help?

Discussion in 'Machines, Equipment & Setup' started by Jay, 15 Apr 2010.

1. Jay

Jay Regular Member

Hi, ive recently started tattooing in a studio :)
    My problem now is finding some new machines.. As i dont feel mine are good enough anymore..
    My "mentor / boss" said you have got to buy what you feel comfortable with.
    His personal machines are years old and he said they only cost him a few bob..
    The ones that im using at the mo are aprox a year old.. i brought them cheap off the net to start with.. they are ok but very heavy and noisy!
    I guess what im looking for is a light weight machine what runs smooth..
    Any ideas?

2. mhtwmwmw

mhtwmwmw Premium

try Hildabrandt thats what I use and they dont cost the earth!
    but i think they are very good!

3. meatgrinder67

meatgrinder67 Regular Member

micky sharpz

try micky sharpz tattoo supplies i just bought the
    Line-O-Graph Tattoo Machine - Liner

only used it a couple of times but it seems ok and produces some good lines

4. Micknoble

Micknoble Premium

mick
  5. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    Any recommendations for a good light weight shader?

I have linked to this thread 'cos I thought it may have some good suggestions - but nothing really jumping out....

Any ideas guys?

I would prefer something not too heavy - the shader I have (photos in my albums) is really heavy, noisy (like a garden strimmer) and very temperamental! Time to upgrade I think....

6. toetoe62

toetoe62 Donator Premium

IMG_0079.jpg IMG_0080.jpg I use Mickey bee, nice and small and I can use them all day without them getting hot and don't find them heavy at all but they are not cheep, about £170 each, I also made one up from buying new parts from ebay, it cost me £22 to build and is not as heavy as my Mickey bee's, the good thing about building your own is you can build it to your personal liking, the one on the left is the cheep one but I still think it looks the part and it does the job with ease.

regards
    Tony

7. Daz

Daz Premium

Worcestershire
    Darren
  8. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    Hey dawn,
    have a look at these.....http://www.maniatattoosupplies.com/machines.htm

9. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn

Cheers Mark,
    have sent them an email about the MT shader in brass - certainly looks a very nice machine, but really wanting something light. Is this a machine/make you have bought?

10. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    Hi dawn,
    i haven't used these machines,but my wife wants to buy me a new one for my birthday,& i was thinking of getting one of these,they do look good. I think its just trial & error with buying machines,just try a few to see what works for you....what are you doing with the shader you have now ??are you gonna sell it ?;)

11. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn

No, think I'll just keep it as a spare as I only have one of each at moment. Some guys seem to have loads of different machines??!

12. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    ha ha,yeah i have eight...if your shader is not to your liking,why don't you change the coils on it...I'm thinking of building a few more machines,lol.:)

13. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    suppose I could have a try... just prefer to look and buy! Think building a machine is a 'man thing'? LOL!

14. barcode1973

barcode1973 Premium

Liverpool
    Lee
    I got one of these today

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200579043233&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It weighs 190 grams with tube and needle it sounds like a rotary machine compared to my old one! Came with extra arm bar for making it a shader

Got it delivered next day didn't run right at 8-9 volts rang the guy (card with all his contact details in box) who informed me it was around 10-11 volts and could go up to 13! can't wait till tomorrow when i'm doing a betty boop on my Nephew!

Asked him how much extra for 48hrs delivery when ordered and he did 24hrs for no extra cost.

With all the copys out there I was paranoid about a 2nd hand machine and i'm so glad I got that one.

Darren I too considered the Hoodlum machines as some of them looked nice but there is another post on here off someone who got one of them and said it was just a cheap machine repainted with a new contact screw and they were junk! Saved me £60!

15. mon-tattoo

mon-tattoo Regular Member

cumbria uk
    John
    Light weight machine

Hi Dawn, I suppose machine building is a man's thing.........so let me introduce my partner John he makes light weight tattoo machines with us women in mind...check out his machines at ebay
    Item number: 200579043392

Made in mind for me...(being a small handed woman and wanting a light weight machine) and now only machines I will use in my studio........let me ken what you think.

16. amour

amour Regular Member

Sunderland
    Jason

Hi Daz, i bought a Hoodlum Machine it certainly looks the part, and sounds the part i think it cost me 50 quid , Ive still got to test it out yet though, will let you know once ive tested how good it is

Cheers
    Jason

17. schwartzy

schwartzy Premium

Female
    London, England
    Rachel
    I recently bought the MT liner and shader and am really pleased with them. Been practicing on my leg with them and have done a touch up on a tattoo on a friend that I did a couple of months ago. Doing a new tattoo on another friend tomorrow with them, I'll post pics when it is done.

18. marked 4 life

marked 4 life Donator Premium

Male
    Staffordshire
    Andy
    My new hoodlum liner and colour packer will be with me in the next couple of days, will post pics when they are here.

19. oultimer

oultimer Premium

N I RELAND
    jim
    I was considering getting one of the Cheyenne Hawk machines according to all the reports and reviews on this and the cartridge needle system .it definatly seems to be one of the best on the marketThey are a bit pricey tho' but if you are tatting regular and being paid for it the cost should be recovered easily.www.cheyenne-tattoo.com