More Colour Practice

Discussion in 'Pig & Fake Practice' started by Patrick, 4 Mar 2011.

1. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    tattoo pics 2275.jpg

This is my latest, used 7rl, 9rs & 11 mag, getting used to using mags now thanks to the advice from this forum. As usual any comments very welcome.
    Thanks
    Patrick

2. Reaper G

Reaper G Premium

N.e lincs
    Paul g
    looking good patrick the mags are something else when you get the hang of them i like the two tone colours .faces are very difficult its very easy to try and put two much shading in i think you have done well the suttleness of the jaw line works there is def:clap:inition there but its not in your face

3. toetoe62

toetoe62 Donator Premium

Thats my kind of tattoo, not complicated but really nice to look at, the light shining of the hat brings it to life, if you had a tattoo like that it would still look good in 20 years time, some of these portraits that are being done will be unrecognisable, good stuff.

regards
    Tony

4. Daz

Daz Premium

Worcestershire
    Darren
    Nice work, have yet to try a Mag any tips on using them. Keep the good work up mate :clap:

5. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    hi darren,
    stick to using m1 mags....(m2 mags really tear up the skin.) For good colour fill,work in small circles & for soft shading work quicker in big circles...unlike flats,with mags you can work sideways with them,to get into tight spots......start off by using small mags,5-7,you will be surprised how quick the colour goes in.;)

6. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    Thanks Everyone for your comments.
    Darren I think the only way to get used to mags is just to keep practicing. I sometimes just make a stencil consisting of several different shapes, circles, squares, triangles etc and then apply it to pig skin and practice filling them in. Sometimes I don't do an out line In ink and sometimesI just use the stencil lines. I then use different colours to fill them in. I have tried holding my machine at different angles and altering the speed and power settings and have now found that if I hold the machine at about a 45 degree angle and about 8.5v using a circular motion about the size of a penny works well for me. I also keep moving in a forward direction making sure I dip my needle very often as a lot of ink goes in very quickly this way. For shading as advised by Mark (Skinpix)I do the same but move much faster. But like anything else it's just down to lots of practice and trial and error. I also done the same with round shaders to get used to them. However once you get used to mags you probably won't use RS very often on larger colour pieces. Don't be put off using them it really isn't as difficult as I thought it would be, and you can't hurt pig skin. My next tatt on real skin will be the first with a mag:eek: but should be ok, I will let you know. Four months ago I was frightened to use anything bigger than a 3rl and 5rs, and now hardly use anything this small now. Go for it.:)

7. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    tattoo pics 2282.jpg tattoo pics 2280.jpg tattoo pics 2277.jpg

Done these over the weekend, used 7rl, 9rs and 15mag on girl. On flower and dog I used 7rl, 9rs and 9 flat shader, I prefer mags to flats but have a few to use up, they are ok for shading but not so good for colouring. Have contacted a few local studios about helping out on weekends, but none of them very helpful, so figure that if I keep practicing and get a decent portfolio they might be more accomodating, otherwise I wll just have to open my own shop next year.

8. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    Hi Patrick,
    They are looking good! I've yet to use mags myself - kit didn't come with any, so must order some. I'll take the advice given here, and try smaller ones first - but keep up the practice, you're storming on now! Own shop sounds great - need a bit of stiff competition out there to shake up the 'pros':clap:

9. Daz

Daz Premium

Worcestershire
    Darren
    Hi Patrick

Your work is getting better and better , as for the so called pros giving you a break i wouldnt hold my breath.

Its like all trades no one wants to give anyone a break, we run gas training centre and part of there training they must build a portfolio of evidence with a gas engineer, however no one will give them a chance as they fear competition.

Its the same with so called pro tattoist, my advice is keep up the practice and go for it your own shop sounds great and give them a run for there money :thumbsup: