Sl1pperyweasel

Get more ink..
Donator
Premium
First Name
Graham
Thread starter #2
Couple of new pieces.

Although I had to give up with the tribal as the skin became like elastic and I just couldnt stretch it far enough for the ink to go in. You can see from the roughly correct size flash what it should have been.

The tribal colouring I used a size 12 5RS. Should I be using a larger round shader? Most of the time I use a 7Mag but thought id try the round for this.

Cheers Sl1pp

Attachments

Sl1pperyweasel

Get more ink..
Donator
Premium
First Name
Graham
Thread starter #3
Morrisons is a source of great piggy :)

New tatt on some fresh piggy.
Using a 5RL, 5RS for the tribal & a 7M for the flowers

Attachments

First Name
Mick
Morrisons is a source of great piggy :)

New tatt on some fresh piggy.
Using a 5RL, 5RS for the tribal & a 7M for the flowers
I am also training on piggy , I have been using 5rl & 9rs
I did a large trible the other day and the 9rs seemed to be taking for ever so I changed to a 15 mag and as i had never used a mag before I did not know what to expect. but the mags just bounced of the piggy like a rubber ball :(

so I have lost a bit confidence with the mags and I have gone back to rounds

your work on the piig looks very good and clean (wish I could use the mags like you and keep the pig that clean)

keep up the good work.

Sl1pperyweasel

Get more ink..
Donator
Premium
First Name
Graham
Thread starter #5
I am also training on piggy , I have been using 5rl & 9rs
I did a large trible the other day and the 9rs seemed to be taking for ever so I changed to a 15 mag and as i had never used a mag before I did not know what to expect. but the mags just bounced of the piggy like a rubber ball :(

so I have lost a bit confidence with the mags and I have gone back to rounds

your work on the piig looks very good and clean (wish I could use the mags like you and keep the pig that clean)

keep up the good work.
Thanks.
With the mags maybe try a smaller size? or faster speed? & keep the skin really stretched. I find Pig skin to be like elastic sometimes & nothing seems to want to take!. They are great when they work & can colour large areas real quick.

As for keeping the skin that clean took a lot of green soap & kitchen roll ;)

Sl1pp.

First Name
paul black
i think you are doing well

Thanks.
With the mags maybe try a smaller size? or faster speed? & keep the skin really stretched. I find Pig skin to be like elastic sometimes & nothing seems to want to take!. They are great when they work & can colour large areas real quick.

As for keeping the skin that clean took a lot of green soap & kitchen roll ;)

Sl1pp.
i used to wrap pigskin around a bottle as it is a lot harder to do? and got me used to tattooing a not so flat surface all the same im thinking you are:cool: looking good !!

Regarding pig skin being like rubber.
Soak it in warn water for 5 mins, then scrub it with one of those sponges with brillo on the bottom. You need to pile on the soap though. Personally i use Carex and it really does work well.

Basically it takes out all the surface fat, and softens the outer skin.

Dry it out thoroughly, and you will find you get a really good colour fill.

Hope this helps.

First Name
Mick
many thanks for the piggy cleaning / softening and mag's info

will keep you posted - getting some more pig skin on friday

would you advise the use of mags, and are they just for colour

:):):)

Sl1pperyweasel

Get more ink..
Donator
Premium
First Name
Graham
Thread starter #9
^^
I will always use mags for large areas of block colour, I find them a lot quicker & easier to get the colour in. I also "try" & use them for adding shading. (not that I have a lot of experience with that or even do it well but....)

Latest Piggy. Not happy with how this looks, I was lazy with the colouring of the tribal & also the skin made it very difficult to get smooth lines with all the cut grooves in it. Also doesnt help that I smudged the transfer to start with.. Well thats my excuses out the way ;)

Attachments

Sl1pperyweasel

Get more ink..
Donator
Premium
First Name
Graham
Thread starter #11
Thanks,
Iv been learning now for abt 4 months, teaching myself from info/ videos found on the web but mostly from this site.

I got my first kit from www.thetattooshop.co.uk & just expanded on it with upgraded bits as I learnt more. Oh & pig skin from morrisons =)

First Name
Mark
^^
I will always use mags for large areas of block colour, I find them a lot quicker & easier to get the colour in. I also "try" & use them for adding shading. (not that I have a lot of experience with that or even do it well but....)

hey sl1pp,try using rounds for your shading,you get a lot more control,start light & darken up as necessary,they work great for flick shading.