Overloading Needle with Ink? Messy!! Advice Please....

Discussion in 'General Chat & Advice' started by WilD, 13 Feb 2011.

1. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    Hi - any advice guys?

been practicing on my pig - but seem to be overloading my needle/tip with ink. When I first start I am just flooded with ink and no matter how I try, I can't seem to overcome this problem! It probably sounds daft I know, but when I watch the pro's on TV they don't seem to have this prob! (unless it's edited out?)

I try scraping off the excess/dab on kitchen roll.... it really gets on my nerves...

I just seem to end up with a great pool of ink - even if I just dip the needle once! (using Inktenze - don't know if it should make a difference?) The other prob is splashing! I am a real messy cow - and don't know why!!??:mad:

2. Reaper G

Reaper G Premium

N.e lincs
    Paul g
    hi dawn i am having the same problem i have been told if there is not inough tension on the needle with elastic bands it can cause the ink to poor out the needle bounces out at the tip

3. Starbuck42

Starbuck42 Premium

UK
    Kevin
    Simple advice is:
    How long have you been using your needle on pig?
    If it has spread, or hit a hard area, your needled will blunt and spread , thus gathering to much ink.
    Try a new needle. Some Chinese crap needles are very badly made.

Regarding ink spatter, you need a band that is made for the job. Try supertatz for the exact size. Sarah will sort you out.

Try pulling on the back of the band, and see if the spatter stops.

Also, DO NOT run the machine when dipping in the ink!

4. Reaper G

Reaper G Premium

N.e lincs
    Paul g

Thankyou Starbucks will let you know on my progress didnt know i shouldnt run when dipping, thanks again :thumbsup:

5. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    Cheers for the tips guys.

The needle I was using was new out of the blister pack - so shouldn't be blunt. Possibly could be chinese crap tho, Just what I received in my kit....
    I'll try tighter elastic bands - could make a difference...
    But no, I don't run the machine in the ink, so can't be that...
    Anyway a couple of things I can try. Cheers:thumbsup:

I'll let you know how it goes!

6. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    hey guys,ink pooling & spatter are common probs,you can also try turning the power down a touch.....and make sure you are using the correct size tip for the needles.The elastic bands you should use are size 12's......another little tip is to put a slight bend in the needle bar when setting up,this stops the needle jumping around,( it makes the elastic bands grip a little tighter) hope this helps.;)

7. MrSpoon

MrSpoon Premium

Derby
    Darren
    try using a very thin layer of vasaline on the skin, this will help the needle pick up the ink instead of letting it pool:cool:

8. barcode1973

barcode1973 Premium

Liverpool
    Lee
    I used to have the same problems it was mostly due to tubes too big for needle. When I got my kit it was gues work with the tubes/tips. I just use full disposable tubes/grips 9R and now I hace no probs with 7/9 needle sizes.

It's been said but I felt left out!

9. toetoe62

toetoe62 Donator Premium

tips of the needles

Are you using the tips of the needles or the tip of the tubes, if you use the tips of the tubes then that can cause the ink to puddle, normally in a kit you will have some steel tips, try the needle in the tips before you put your machine together to see if the needle fits the tip, even some ink will work different than others and you can bet with it being a kit you will be using a cheaper brand of ink and of needles, everybody has this problem at first but some more than others, it is really a case of trial and error and I promises you will get it in the end.

regards
    Tony

10. Reaper G

Reaper G Premium

N.e lincs
    Paul g
    running machine in ink

hi there i run the machine whilst dipping in the ink and suffer alot with ink splater can you tell me the method behind not running the machine please thanks:thumbsup:

11. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark

if you run the machine while "dipping" the needles will suck up lots of ink,& you are also at risk of banging your needles & ballsing them up.;)

12. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    I'm havin another go today - and will take all your advice on board - so lets see..

I will also use metal tube - there are a few in the kit (have used disposables up to now) and see if that helps.

One thing tho re. comment above by toetoe - how can you not dip the tube into the ink? The needle more or less disappears when the machine is off so you have to dip the end of the tube into the pot or else how do you manage to get ink just on the tip of the needle??:confused:

According to everything I watch/read the needle tip should only extend around 2-3mm with moderate resistance on the armature bar (video clip on smooth machine running) so it virtually disappears when machine is not running? As I see it, you can't avoid getting some ink in the tube?

13. toetoe62

toetoe62 Donator Premium

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I mean when you are tattooing the skin it is best to use just the tip of the needles, some people set the needles flush with the end of the tip and actually follow the line with the tip resting on to the skin, when you dip your needle into the ink pot you can't help getting some ink onto the tip, but if you wipe the surplus off the back of the tip with your tissue, by holding the tissue in one hand and just lightly touching the tissue and pulling your machine towards you this will also help, it's a lot easier to show you than explain it in writing so I'll see if any of the videos cover it and write back.

14. toetoe62

toetoe62 Donator Premium

tips of the needles

tat 1.jpg tat 2.jpg

i'm hoping these photos will help to show you what I mean, 1 shows just using the tips of the needles and 2 gives you some idea about wiping just the back of the tube tip after filling with ink.

regards
    Tony

15. gazza

gazza Regular Member

uk
    gary shaw
    an just go easy with the ink