Power Supply

Discussion in 'Suppliers & Product Ratings' started by Patrick, 2 Jan 2011.

1. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    Hi Can Anybody Help

My power supply unit keeps cutting out or at best it fluctuates whilst operating the foot pedal. The unit has a dual plug for liner and shader and has not really ever worked very well. It is Chinese made so this may be a problem. I have seen the same unit advertised for around £40. Please can anybody advise me the best type & make/model to buy, I dont mind spending around £100 - 150 for a good model if this is possible. Likewise any advise on machines, both shaders and liners would be helpfull. I bought all my stuff as a kit a few months ago and the whole lot was only £150 so it's probably not the best quality, however I did buy from a Tatoo Supplier and not from ebay. Any info regarding this and will be much appreciated.

Thanks And Happy New Year To You All

Patrick:confused:

2. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    hi patrick,it is well worth checking out different suppliers,as some will not sell to unregistered tattooists...i use a company called "shoramsred",really nice guy & very helpful,all his stuff is good quality & reasonably priced.

3. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    Shoramsred

Hi Mark

Thanks for the info, I have had a look at their website and the prices look really good especially for coils and other machine parts.

Patrick

4. DavidE

DavidE Premium

Suppliers

A small list of my favourite suppliers, and they will supply unlicenced. If they dont ask, you dont tell!

Barber DTS Very fast delivery (Next day) Eikon 300 supply £185

Powerline Supplies Good priced inks (2 day delivery) V.Good customer service

New Image If you are stuck for machine bits etc. (Do their own inks)

Hope this helps, Powerline would be my first choice i think.

5. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    Suppliers

Thanks for this info, I have just had a look at Barber DTS & Powerline. Both look really good. I think the Eikon power supply units look to be the best, so will probably get the 300 as you mentioned. Also I am going to buy a couple of new machines and leads etc to replace what I got in my original kit. Can you offer any advise on what is best to buy, I can go upto approx £150 each for the machines. The ones that came with the kit seem a bit fragile and are difficult to tune properly. And do you have experience with rotary machines as I understand they dont need tuning.:confused:

Patrick

6. MrSpoon

MrSpoon Premium

Derby
    Darren
    micky sharpz

i just recieved 2 new machines today from micky sharpz and they never questioned wether i was a tattooist, even spoke to them over the phone 3 times as i had a problem with my bank having a slightly different delivery address to the order address blah blah and they were extremely helpfull, might be of use to someone if they ever want to order from them :cool:

micky sharpz.jpg
    T dial colour/shader on the left and Micro dial liner on the right

7. Sl1pperyweasel

Sl1pperyweasel Get more ink.. Donator Premium

Male
    Chelmsford
    Graham
    I have been looking at mickey sharpz for an upgrade myself, have heard good things about them & are supposed to be good quality machines.
    Can you tell me what the difference is between a standard liner & a micro liner? Also i have seen people on here mention they have a shader & a "packer", what is that??

Cheers
    Sl1pp

8. MrSpoon

MrSpoon Premium

Derby
    Darren
    i havn't got a clue what the difference is, i know a cut back liner runs harder and faster if that helps?
    a shader is soft hitting and used to shading, a packer is hard hitting and used for filling in solid colour, i sorry i cant be more specific and give examples but im learning myself and haven't fot a clue :p

9. Sl1pperyweasel

Sl1pperyweasel Get more ink.. Donator Premium

Male
    Chelmsford
    Graham
    ok, I think im more confused now ;):rolleyes: cheers.

You will have to let me know how you get on with your new machines & how they compare with your previous ones.
    Im still using the cheap ones that came in my original kit a good few months ago & want a decent new toys to play with.

10. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    micky sharpz machines are the mutts,top of the range stuff,and are not cheap...compared to what you get in a kit,these baby's just purrrrrrrr...;)

11. MrSpoon

MrSpoon Premium

Derby
    Darren
    compared to my 3 cheap ebay machines they sound so much smoother and feel much better to hold tho they are solid iron! nice clean lines from the liner. not really used the shader yet other than to fill in a bit of black, need to buy some new needles and have a go at blending and whip shading etc feel damn good tho.

i've read quite alot about machines made by glyn flew, from what i can gather he builds about 5 machines at a time then sells them through ebay for about £70 each, there was a few a couple of weeks ago but have now sold so i guess you'll have to wait for the next lot.

second hand shader ends in 5 hours!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Glyn-Flew-Tat...Beauty_Tattoos_BodyArt_SM&hash=item4155f7da12

12. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    hey MrSpoon, have you got a good supplier for your needles,i use a guy in Sheffield,the company is called "Shorehamsred" he is also very helpful to us non pro tattoo artists.:)