Practice Pics

Discussion in 'Art School' started by Daz, 26 Feb 2011.

1. Daz

Daz Premium

Worcestershire
    Darren
    I have uploaded my second and third practice tattoo on Pig skin.

My second tattoo attempt was a black & grey version of a Ed Hardy Tattoo

My Third tattoo attempt was of a tiger in tribal.

I seem to be having trouble getting the stencil to give a bold print on pig skin any ideas.

Welcome your comments

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    Hey Darren,
    nice work mate,lines are good,colour fill good.......like the lucky jim a lot...
    what stencil sheets & stencil fluid are you using ?? :clap:

3. Daz

Daz Premium

Worcestershire
    Darren
    Hi Mark

Thanks for your comments, I am using Spirit Carbon Thermal Paper 4 ply sheets of ebay and Transfer Application Fluid from Supertatz.

I dont know if you can also help with another issue, when is set my gun up it runs fine then after about 20 mins it slows down and stops. I then have to reset it but it does the same after about 5 mins.

The guns were bought in a kit so i dont expect them to be top quality but any advice would help mate.

Thank You

4. smum72

smum72 Premium

kent
    shaun
    hi darren
    i had same problem with getting a good stencil and keeping it on through the tattoo process tried lots of things and now i just use neat dettol to put transfer on as long as ya give it long enough to dry and keep a thin layer of vas on it gives a really good stencil and also lasts hope this helps mate.

5. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    The 4 ply sheets are meant to be used in a thermal copier,i have used them,but found that single hectograph sheets are better for hand drawn transfers,i can't comment on the transfer fluid because I have not tried it,i use neat dettol.
    Does this happen with both machines or just the one ??? if it's both,then your power supply is probably at fault,if it's just the one,then you have a dodgy machine....make sure the contact screw is locked in tight,if it isn't,it will vibrate itself loose & unscrew itself,thus the machine will stutter & die,also make sure all screws around the machine are tight...hope this helps.

6. oultimer

oultimer Premium

N I RELAND
    jim
    I find that i dont have aproblem with the stencil on the skin ater using neat dettol but the skin just will not take the ink !i have a load of skin that i take out of the frezeer and run it under hot water before i work on it but the cuts in it just soak up the ink and make a mess !i never seem to have had this problem when i have done a tat on myself but i know ineed more practice on piggy as i dont think my oul body can take much more abuse :cry:

7. j3rz3y1

j3rz3y1 Premium

Benson, NC
    Frankie B
    Nice work

Well ive seen your pics an for piggy with that many cuts i beleave you did great .Keep up the good work nice steady hands :thumbsup: As for the machines I agree with skinpix may be your power suppy did it come with the kit an make sure all screws are tight i had a machine that would rattle itself lose so i changed the front post out from the kit one runs fine now Keep up the good work :clap: Ed

8. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    Stencils

Hi Darren

Some nice work you have done especially like the tiger. Have a look in the froum "Beginners Tattoo Questions & Answers" Stencil Fluid and there is loads of good info there about stencils etc. But as Mark says make sure you are using the correct hecto paper. Regarding your machines I had the same problem with my machines when I bought my kit. I stripped then down sevearl times and tried retuning them but after about 10 - 15 mins they started to run badly. It turned out to be the coils and contact screws that were causing the problem. I got new 10 wrap coils and contact screws and springs and they are fine now. But check your power pack as well because I have also had to get a new one. Generally I think the stuff in my kit was basicly cheap rubbish, it was fine to get started with, but I am gradually replacing and upgrading as and when necessary. I have also bought 2 new machines from Supertatz and have no trouble at all in fact they are very good, definately worth a look.:)

9. Daz

Daz Premium

Worcestershire
    Darren
    Thanks Patrick for the comments I will take your advice and have a look.

Cheers

Daz:thumbsup:

10. Daz

Daz Premium

Worcestershire
    Darren
    4th Tattoo

Just finished this tattoo on pig skin, if you have any comments i would appreciate them thanks.

Attached Files:

11. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    Hey Darren,

tats are looking great! Particularly like the tiger - think that looks very good:thumbsup:

Sounds like you have same type of stencil paper as me and I have found it very dodgy. Think Skin is prob right, I think it's meant for a thermal copier - but I'm struggling to use up what came in my kit. I just use one layer (shiny brownish one) to trace the stencil - and have to use a heavy biro type pen to get it to work. I just use dettol on the pig skin, rub it on then let it almost dry before applying the stencil.
    Hope this helps!

12. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    hey darren,
    really nice work mate,:clap:have you had a go on real skin yet ??? go on,put one on your leg,all tattooists practice on their own legs...:thumbsup:

13. j3rz3y1

j3rz3y1 Premium

Benson, NC
    Frankie B
    legs

I can see you now with pinup girls all over your legs lol but no your work is comming along very nicely you should try real skin :clap: Ed

14. Reaper G

Reaper G Premium

N.e lincs
    Paul g
    Looks good I agree if you have not already done it it took me a long time to bite the bullet but I learnt lots

15. Daz

Daz Premium

Worcestershire
    Darren
    Thanks for your comments; I think it’s a bit too early yet to start on real skin, got to get my confidence up even if it’s on my own leg lol.

Makes a change though from this so called tattoo artists saying apprenticeships is the only route. Some of the work on here I have seen by up and coming tattooists is of an excellent standard, and could easily stand up in a studio along with the so called pro's.

Everyone keep up the good work. :clap:

16. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn

totally agree Daz!

My Bro-in-law has quite a few tats and some of them are terrible!

He got one years ago of a boxing 'hare' that just looked like a big rat! He then had it covered with a 'rose' a few years later, and that looks like a big cabbage!!! right on the top of arm!!
    Tell you what, he's had some stick for them LOL!:cheesy:
    - seriously tho, some so called pro's want closed down!:angry: