Practice skin or pig skin?

Discussion in 'General Chat & Advice' started by snorkel.002, 30 Jul 2009.

1. snorkel.002

snorkel.002 Regular Member

does anyone have any personal opinions on this topic? i am yet to try either but im keen to go for the hardest one cos everythin after that should be easier.

2. Koi

Koi Premium

Bristol
    Sharron
    Definately pig skin. Dont waste your time and money on fake skin. It is basically thick lino covering that you would otherwise find on a kitchen floor.

Pig skin is quite hard to stretch before you get used to it, but the finish is very good.

3. snorkel.002

snorkel.002 Regular Member

cool, i was leaning towards pig skin cos i have heard its really difficult. where can i get hold of pig skin?

4. Lucy Locket

Lucy Locket Founder/Admin

Female
    GB
    Lucy
    Pig skin from Morrisons

If you are in the UK, Morrisons supermarket in the fresh meat fridges. Ie, where the pork chops n things are. You will find 2 or 3 rolls in a blue polystyrene tray for around 70p, so its very inexpensive.

As for being difficult, once you learn to stretch well, its quite good, and the results look good.

5. punkvernie

punkvernie Regular Member

i used the rubber stuff it stains so you cant tell if you have done the shading right but you can keep the finished product.

6. crow3030

crow3030 Premium

ireland
    lee
    i use a childs football cut up into pieces like the one you buy for a £1.00 in you pounder shop try it works good good for applying stencils too as not all parts of the body are straight and smooth takes ink well from the needles too ;-)

7. punkvernie

punkvernie Regular Member

haahaa cool ill give that one a go

8. or like me if you have a bro use himm..haha.

9. MADASARUSTYFISH

MADASARUSTYFISH Regular Member

Someone mentioned lino.... has anyone ever tried it?

10. happyloz72

happyloz72 Regular Member

stretching pig skin

Can someone tell me how to stretch the pig skin and is there something you can do to it to preserve it without it rotting or smelling? thanks lorna x

11. Davey

Davey The boss Founder/Admin

UK
    Davey
    Hi Lorna.
    As for stretching the pig skin, the answer is very difficult, BUT on the plus side it doesnt really need too much stretch normally, as it is quite thick and rigid. Try getting a good stretch, with both hands, then trap it with your right hand, ang ently with your right. This makes it quite hard to get the feel for you machine, but pig skin is still the best "real" skin alternative.

12. happyloz72

happyloz72 Regular Member

preserving

thanks for that will give it a try. What about the preserving thing. Do you have any ideas about that? :)

13. Davey

Davey The boss Founder/Admin

UK
    Davey
    I think a photo would be your only option. I suppose pickling it would draw out the ink.

14. j3rz3y1

j3rz3y1 Premium

Benson, NC
    Frankie B
    I still haven't found any here in the states its hard to come by for sure.

15. oultimer

oultimer Premium

N I RELAND
    jim
    I find the pigskin very hard to keep clean and to get sharp lines on!I wash it in soapy water and clean any fatty gunk of the surface as reccommended i then shave it if neccessary'then apply a coat of vaseline but it still i find i have to use tons of paper roll with green soapy water to keep it clean 'but this takes some of the surface of it and it ends up like blotting paper has anyone any tips for this ?

16. art_class

art_class Regular Member

Angie
    Soak it in red hot water for 10 minutes, then scrub it with a spongy brillo thingy, and dry it. You will find it quite easy to use, but make sure you use plenty of vasso, although not too much, or it will clog up your needle and tip.

17. oultimer

oultimer Premium

N I RELAND
    jim
    Thanks will try that'

18. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    Big Pig Skins

Earlier today I went to Morrisons to buy some Pig Skin, but instead of picking it from up from the meat chiller cabinet I asked the in-store butcher. He was able to sell me pieces 3 times as big as what you usually find in the normal packs and they dont have so many cuts in them. I was advised to to go to the store just after 9am as they have a daily delivery. These pieces are big enough to tattoo a decent sized koi or sleeve. And if you rub vaseline into the cut marks and use vaseline throughout the tattoo it cleans up quite well when you have finished. The only problem I found was that I clogged the tip up a couple of times because of too much vaseline, but other than that it was great and cost the same price as the packs because it's sold by weight. Our local buthchers also sell it but its usually to thin or to thick and there are often lots of fleshy bits hanging of it as it comes untrimmed, but there are no cut marks so it's easy to clean.
    Hope this helpful to everybody.:)

19. Sonic

Sonic Premium

UK
    aarrgghhh
    They are usually quite good at Morrisons, but its the look on their face when you tell them what its for that makes me chuckle. :cry:

20. i have used both and it is pig skin all the way