Stencil Transfer Fluid?

Discussion in 'Designs & Stencils' started by MrSpoon, 14 Jan 2011.

1. MrSpoon

MrSpoon Premium

Derby
    Darren
    just wondered what you use to get your stencils to transfer onto skin/practice skin?

theres lots of mention about using deoderant sticks and even melted down with green soap i think? which i believe is all that "stencil stuff" is, which i've tried and thought it was crap. the best i've tried so far is dettol, im happy with the results and will stick with it unless someone has a better alternative?

2. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    stick to using dettol,you won't get anything better,(deo sticks only transfer germs !!!) wipe it on,let it go sticky,apply transfer,press on for a few seconds,hey presto,just remember to let it dry before tattooing.:)

3. Xaphaniel

Xaphaniel Premium

Inverclyde
    Robb
    I use the deodorant idea just now but i was lucky enough to get a friend in the US to get me speedstick Origional the regular one dosent work as well but still does just congeals in the bottle and sometimes its better to use the spatula spread stick to apply it

the original speed stick is put in a glass bottle pre sterilised in the micro wave once it goes as hot as the sun add in the same amount again of green soap then a cap full of alcohol and lastly optional two caps of detol

in fairness its a pain in the arse and takes a tad longer than neat detol to dry on the skin so you can work on it but when its dried its brilliant the stencil stays there and if your starting out you have less of a worry about the stencil line disappearing

to buy speedstick original in the uk costs a fortune if you can get someone to send it its allot cheaper

all in all DETOL lol

4. MrSpoon

MrSpoon Premium

Derby
    Darren
    dettol it is then:cheesy:

5. Tattooz

Tattooz Donator Premium

Male
    Sheffield
    Dave
    Has to be stencil stuff! Its like a watered down pva glue. I used Dettol for a while, but it doesnt take long before the wiping makes it disappear. Stencil stuff needs a scourer to get rid!

I bought some off Supertatz on Ebay aswell a few months ago, (she is now a member on here) and that stuff was quite good aswell. :thumbsup:

6. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    Homemade Greensoap & Stencil Fluid

Hi All

I use greensoap for stencils, I make it myself.
    To make 1lt you need 200ml fairy liquid (genuine green fairy works best), 100ml dettol then 700ml water. It's best to add water in first otherwise it foams up and you make a mess. You can play about with the quantities to see what works best, but it works really well. Just spray it on and rub it in until it goes soapy wipe any excess off and apply your stencil in the usual way. If you have a Costco or similar in your area you can buy 4lt dettol and 6 x 750ml bottles of fairy liquid for about £25.00 and you could also use red fairy liquid, then you can use one lot as green soap and the other for stencil fluid.
    Hope this is helpful.

Happy Tatting

Patrick;)

7. MrSpoon

MrSpoon Premium

Derby
    Darren
    cheers patrick i might give that a go one day :cool:

8. Xaphaniel

Xaphaniel Premium

Inverclyde
    Robb
    Nice one Patrick much appreciated on that seems allot more simple than the one i put up and easier ingredients to get a hold of lol

9. barcode1973

barcode1973 Premium

Liverpool
    Lee
    I got the water only transfer paper (see other post for link) I have been using the fluid I got with my likt for it (looks and smells like nail varnish in a nail varnish bottle with little brush f***ing usless) then tried dettol but it seems that just water like in the vid they provided does the trick best.

I think the stencil is obvioulsy one of the most important stages and wondered if anyone had a fave paper / brand or any more tips.

Thanks in advance

Plus whats the thoughts on thermal copiers? as the stencelling is a slight plum throb (not sure if I can say ball ache? oops I just did)

10. jamesb

jamesb Premium

james
    i jus use neat dettol get plenty on the area you plan to tattoo but let it evapourate a lill bit then wen its "sticky" nows the time to get your stencil on, then let it dry f 5-10 mins now ya ready to go ;)

11. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Somerset
    Patrick
    Stencil Fluid

Lee

As James said neat dettol works quite well or buy a bootle of stencil transfer fluid from supertatz. On pig skin it's not as good as on real skin, but should give you a clear enough stencil to follow. Try soaking the pig skin in hot awter for 5 minutes dry it of and then apply your stencil while it's still warm. If you are using genuine spirit transfer paper with the above it will work. In fact you will have problems clean the transfer off. Hope this helps. Also see my earlier posts on making your own solution.:)

Patrick

12. jamesb

jamesb Premium

james
    yea i find neat dettol works a treat and apply the stencil jus at the right time ,,,,,, it sticks like shit to a blanket!!! and a total nightmare to scrub off "real skin" even with green soap,or dettol/water mix + you get the added benifit of wen you use dettol makeing sure your "work area " on the skin is clean ;)

then wen your in the process of tattooing "real skin" i use distilled water to clean off the "area" of excess ink wen im working thru the peice then a final wipedown of an clean with green soap/ water mix

Last edited: 24 Jan 2011
  13. akka

akka Premium

uk
    Ben
    hi i use a spray on transfer fluid called dragons blood tryed a few other things but this seems to work best 4 me quite thick and sticky and transfers seem more solid

14. toetoe62

toetoe62 Donator Premium

dettol and fairy

After reading this post I decided to test most of the ideas that people have mentioned, I have got some stencil stuff and also some new spray on stuff but I’ve forgotten what it’s called, any way they both came last up against the other ideas, I even tried fairy on it’s own and that produced the strongest image, the only thing with that is it is easy to wipe off, so as far as I’m concerned the winner was the dettol and fairy mixed together, a good strong image and hard to wipe off, so it should not cost more than three pound for a few years supply, nice one chaps.

regards
    Tony

15. akka

akka Premium

uk
    Ben
    might try the dettoll/fairy mix sounds waaayyyy cheaper than the spray stuff

16. Supertatz

Supertatz Tattoo Equipment Supplier Premium

Sheffield
    Sarah
    Hello all,
    Have any of you tried our stencil fluid? See our Ebay feedback about it. You will not be disappointed! :rolleyes:

We are in the process of developing our new brand of "Sticky StencilZ". We have been trying out new ingredients for the past few months, and we are very nearly there. Check back here next week or so, when we should have some samples of the product to give away. Obviously we cannot send to everyone, and not in great quantities, but we will try and find a way.
    This stuff is the dogs dangly bits! Guaranteed!
    Keep your eyes peeled.

Sarah x

17. ASH13

ASH13 Regular Member

USA
    TWM
    I just made my own that works good.

Melted a stick of cheap clear deodorant, few cap fulls of green soap, a little alcohol and water.

Works a lot better than the Stencil-Pro I have.

Oh yea I almost forgot, what is Dettol? I notice most of you afre from the UK, is it a UK only thing or is it in the States too? Ive never heard of it until joining this site.

18. tattytone

tattytone Premium

sunny essex
    Tony
    Ash you can get it it the states, ive seen a few people from ober there use it.

19. inkstar

inkstar Premium

hi there i use anti-bacterial instant hand sanitizer
    kills 99.99% of germs

its like a gel comes in a cool pump bottle its got
    ethyl alcohol
    water
    isopropyl alcohol
    glycerin
    aloe vera gel
    it drys in 1min to nothing the more you wipe it the faster it drys it works geart and cleans the skin before you start tattooing it clean hands with out the use of soap and water and you get good stencils from it ,years ago we used detol mixed with isopropyl 90% iso 10% detol the detol is added to stop it drying out to fast so you can get you stencil on alcohol works best for stencils cos its a sprit base carbon transfer paper