Thermal Copier for £30!

Discussion in 'Suppliers & Product Ratings' started by MrSpoon, 12 Jan 2011.

1. MrSpoon

MrSpoon Premium

Derby
    Darren
    i was contemplating buying one of them thermal copiers off ebay for about £130 but i decided to take a chance and buy a fax machine with a thermal transfer print head instead so i bought this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SAGEM-SP4...ent_Supplies_Fax_Machines&hash=item3cb1734d15

i took out the carbon ribbon cartridge from inside and put a piece of tape over a plastic noggin so it thinks theres a carbon ribbon still installed and removed a 2 inch flap that guides the paper when it comes out the top after copying (as this was causing the stencil to jam) and thats all, all ready to transfer. i've included some photos of the printouts before being copied and after making the carbon print and i've transfered one onto some pig skin so you can see how it looks. i used dettol to get the transfer onto the pigskin.

stencil 1b.jpg stencil 1a.jpg stencil 2b.jpg stencil 2a.jpg pig transfer.jpg

as for the carbon paper, you carefully pull off the yellow sheet and remove the centre sheet (between tracing paper and carbon layer) and then insert the rest upside down (end where the pieces are joined together)with the carbon stuff facing away from you and the tracing paper towards you into the paper feed

then put whatever you want to copy into the front slot with your design facing you and press copy.

remember tho that whatever you want to copy, you must first flip/mirror the image over on your computer first, then print it out and run it through the fax machine other wise you will end up with back to front tattoos:rolleyes:

2. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    wow...i have thought of using one of these but i didn't think they worked,have been doing my stencils by hand...think i might get one and give it a go...cant go wrong for 30 quid.
    cheers mrSpoon.:)

3. MrSpoon

MrSpoon Premium

Derby
    Darren
    no problem, word of advice tho, dont try to make stencils anywhere near a cream leather sofa :confused:

4. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark

Ahh,do they come out a bit messy then ?? :(

5. MrSpoon

MrSpoon Premium

Derby
    Darren
    the tiniest dot on your hand/arm soon spreads like wildfire all over the place, best way to get it off is hairspray and then wipe but be carefull as this can damage the protective laquer on the surface.

i think anyone with common sense wouldn't attempt this, but there you go, thats me haha!

6. steveo9441

steveo9441 Premium

Wigan
    Steve
    Hey I am thinking of trying this one out, congrats on the idea :clap:

7. akka

akka Premium

uk
    Ben
    nice idea mate cant go wrong for £30 i heard of sumthing similar using the old forms printers i think ther mite be one in dads loft ill post pics if i find it and it works
    that wuld save ages on large designs:)

8. mon-tattoo

mon-tattoo Regular Member

cumbria uk
    John
    Thermal machines

Hey guys I'm new here, (it's Yvonne) but I'm jumpin right in deep end, leather couches etc etc ouch......
    Have any of you just simply tried a old dot matrix printer, you know the ones nobody wants any more.....simply take out the yellow sheet of paper from your transfer paper load your printer, etc and presto crystal clear stencil. :clap:
    Shoot me if it don't work. :cry:

9. akka

akka Premium

uk
    Ben
    great minds think alike yvonne thats what i was trying to say but couldnt think of the right name thanks for that

10. toetoe62

toetoe62 Donator Premium

dot matrix

I used a dot matrix printer for about 3 months and had great results, you can hook it up to your pc unlike these thermal printers, they also print a full A4 sheet unlike the others, when I went to Sheffield for a one-day course at AJ’s he recommended not to use one at first because when you do a stencil by hand you trace the design two times before you do the tattoo and so you get to know the design and make less mistakes, I have done them by hand since, I don’t think most of us on this forum are that busy that we don’t have time to hand draw the stencils.

Regards
    Tony

11. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    I use a dot matrix printer,but its only a 9pin,not bad tho...when i first got it,i didn't realize i should have got a 24 pin,but that's part of the learning process ......

12. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    some useful info here guys - cheers! I'll have a look for an old dot matrix!