Ultrasonic Bath

Discussion in 'Infection Control, Sterilization & Aftercare' started by oultimer, 11 Jan 2011.

1. oultimer

oultimer Premium

N I RELAND
    jim
    Would an ultrasonic bath be sufficient to sterilise equipment if i was only using it on myself ie steel tubes grips etc.?

2. Starbuck42

Starbuck42 Premium

UK
    Kevin
    No, No. People have got totally the wrong idea about ultrasonics. All the ultrasonic does, is causes a type of "Fizz" in the fluid, or water that you put in it. This breaks down the ink etc in tubes, making things easier to clear.

It in no way sterilizes anything. To do this you need an Autoclave. A Prestige can be picked up on Ebay for around £250, or a stainless pressure cooker type, which are only £100-£150.

3. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark

why don't you use disposable tubes & grips,saves all the worry of sterilizing...

4. mxtattoo

mxtattoo Premium

cheshire
    Rob
    steralizing

hi ultrasonics are just cleaners not steralizers !!!! take a look on youtube at steralizing using a pressure cooker and you can buy the bags from ebat for a couple of quid.the cheapest pressure cookers around are £20 from tj hughes. if you go this route remember to let it all cool down and be careful with the bags until they are dry as they rip easily. best of luck. and let me know how you get on.

5. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    Even if you're just practicing, you'd be safer always using a new needle. Unless you want the outlay, you'd be better off using disposable needles - and grips if tattooing someone else. This is the main thing that has put me off learning tbh. It's just so dangerous to re-use unclean equipment. Better safe than sorry!

6. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    if you are going to use a pressure cooker for sterilizing,it has to be a 15 psi,so it reaches the correct temp.Ultrasonics just loosen the ink from the tubes & tips,they should still be scrubbed to get the crap off,especially inside the tip...(small brush sets can be got from ebay to clean inside the very ends of the tip) if you are not using these options the only way is disposables.;)

7. petrolhead19

petrolhead19 Regular Member

lancashire
    adam
    i only use the ultrasonic to clean my stuff makes it easier to get all the ink off, then they get put in a pressure cooker.

Ive heard of people putting there stuff in a pan of boiling water for an hour, dont know if this is effective or not though.

8. beppe

beppe Premium

UK
    angelito
    Boiling water just isn't hot enough mate! Certain prions and spores can only be killed with a combination of heat and pressure. Boiling water at atmospheric pressure is at around 99 °C (dependent on altitude) autoclaves generally run at 121–134 °C and 15psi, which kills pretty much everything! And they aint cheep! Just use disposables.

9. chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey Premium

Barnsley
    Ian
    Disposables all the way for me, not too expensive, less hassle, no discolouring of your inks and safer for you, ultra sonics are for cleaning the crap off pre autoclave.

10. TexasPT

TexasPT Donator Premium

Texas
    Mark
    If you are only using it on you, it doesn't matter. Just clean it. It would be like wearing a condom to masturbate...you are not going to get herpes from you. The second you try to poke someone else with it...the game changes.

Mark

p.s.- that being said, I still use disposables on me. that way I am consistent between how I practice and how I play.

11. inkstar

inkstar Premium

boiling water will not kill bugs

12. TattooJay

TattooJay Premium

anytown
    Jay
    Good advice in this thread by saying NO, you can not do this. Let me tell you why you can not do this, even if you are only using them on yourself.
    The measures for making sure something is sterile are in place for a reason.

Blood & Serum can form a serious bacteria that will form can get you severely sick. True you can not give yourself HIV or things like that from your own blood. But you can give yourself a serious illness that you may not catch in time.

13. coopermart

coopermart Premium

Basildon, UK
    Martin
    Would a steam steriliser work? (like 1 to do baby bottles)

14. Fozz

Fozz Premium

Nah, 'fraid not Cooper..... To properly sterilise things you need a combo of pressure and heat. Although steam sterilisers get pretty hot, they don't provide the pressure......

You need an 'autoclave'.... I've seen more and more autoclaves labelled as baby bottle sterilisers, so you'd need to find out whether it is purely steam, or autoclave......

15. toreodor

toreodor Premium

upstate NY
    Adolfo
    autoclaves run a drying cycle that prevents the packets form absorbing atmospheric "bugs" into the sterile pack and it's contents.
    Pressure cookers do not have this, so technically they do not work as autoclaves.
    Autoclaves need to be spore tested once a month at a cost to the user of around $100. Depending on local laws they need testing once a week.
    add that to your sterile distilled water, and electric bill. And then run the numbers for the disposable tubes.

Cost effective and safe, disposable tubes won for my operation. I had a partner who was arguing steel over plastic so much i wanted to puke. I told her shut up and buy and autoclave, and she suddenly loved plastic, lol.

16. Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink Titan-Ink Premium

Wales
    Steve Morris
    I got a prestige medical 2100 classic autoclave, really good. I use a heated ultrasonic bath (50 degrees) and run it with Rapidex before bagging the tubes etc and autoclaving them

For my license, i hid the autoclave :) bought disposables

17. suvla

suvla Regular Member

chris sutherland
    ok so i know its better to use disposable , but whats the best ting to clean your machine down with afterwards? would you suggest taking it to peices and cleaning it that way ? or doing somthing else with it what do you guys do with your machines?

18. demonicus

demonicus Regular Member

Fort Nelson, BC
    Shawn
    you may want to look up the ALL AMERICAN AUTOCLAVE because they do not have a so called drying time. It is a pressure cooker through and through. I use one and unless your going to let all the water boil out of it and then allow the unit to cook dry it is still considered an autoclave.

and to the OP an ultrasonic is a hot tub that vibrates for your tools. That is all. It removes particles and even then it still needs a cleaning agent to aid the process. Straight water will not do for this process.

Proper procedures should be
    tools into rinse bath
    brushed clean
    ultrasonic
    dried and packaged
    sterilized in an autoclave (pressure cooker) using distilled water
    drying rack for pressure cooker types
    stamped with a date (sterilized packs have a 3 month shelf life)
    longer shelf life while under UV lighting

did I miss something here? pros weigh in

19. khosmy

khosmy Premium

Marinha Grande
    Edgar Valerio
    Till i reach the happy day of getting myself a nice autoclave, i wont even take the risk of using pressure cookers or anything like that, disposables only. :icon_twisted: