Ultrasonic Bath

Discussion in 'Infection Control, Sterilization & Aftercare' started by oultimer, 11 Jan 2011.

1. oultimer

oultimer Premium

N I RELAND
    jim
    Would an ultrasonic bath be sufficient to sterilise equipment if i was only using it on myself ie steel tubes grips etc.?

2. Starbuck42

Starbuck42 Premium

UK
    Kevin
    No, No. People have got totally the wrong idea about ultrasonics. All the ultrasonic does, is causes a type of "Fizz" in the fluid, or water that you put in it. This breaks down the ink etc in tubes, making things easier to clear.

It in no way sterilizes anything. To do this you need an Autoclave. A Prestige can be picked up on Ebay for around £250, or a stainless pressure cooker type, which are only £100-£150.

3. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark

why don't you use disposable tubes & grips,saves all the worry of sterilizing...

4. mxtattoo

mxtattoo Premium

cheshire
    Rob
    steralizing

hi ultrasonics are just cleaners not steralizers !!!! take a look on youtube at steralizing using a pressure cooker and you can buy the bags from ebat for a couple of quid.the cheapest pressure cookers around are £20 from tj hughes. if you go this route remember to let it all cool down and be careful with the bags until they are dry as they rip easily. best of luck. and let me know how you get on.

5. WilD

WilD Premium

UK
    Dawn
    Even if you're just practicing, you'd be safer always using a new needle. Unless you want the outlay, you'd be better off using disposable needles - and grips if tattooing someone else. This is the main thing that has put me off learning tbh. It's just so dangerous to re-use unclean equipment. Better safe than sorry!

6. skinpix

skinpix Premium

uk
    Mark
    if you are going to use a pressure cooker for sterilizing,it has to be a 15 psi,so it reaches the correct temp.Ultrasonics just loosen the ink from the tubes & tips,they should still be scrubbed to get the crap off,especially inside the tip...(small brush sets can be got from ebay to clean inside the very ends of the tip) if you are not using these options the only way is disposables.;)

7. petrolhead19

petrolhead19 Regular Member

lancashire
    adam
    i only use the ultrasonic to clean my stuff makes it easier to get all the ink off, then they get put in a pressure cooker.

Ive heard of people putting there stuff in a pan of boiling water for an hour, dont know if this is effective or not though.

8. beppe

beppe Premium

UK
    angelito
    Boiling water just isn't hot enough mate! Certain prions and spores can only be killed with a combination of heat and pressure. Boiling water at atmospheric pressure is at around 99 °C (dependent on altitude) autoclaves generally run at 121–134 °C and 15psi, which kills pretty much everything! And they aint cheep! Just use disposables.

9. chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey Premium

Barnsley
    Ian
    Disposables all the way for me, not too expensive, less hassle, no discolouring of your inks and safer for you, ultra sonics are for cleaning the crap off pre autoclave.

10. TexasPT

TexasPT Donator Premium

Texas
    Mark
    If you are only using it on you, it doesn't matter. Just clean it. It would be like wearing a condom to masturbate...you are not going to get herpes from you. The second you try to poke someone else with it...the game changes.

Mark

p.s.- that being said, I still use disposables on me. that way I am consistent between how I practice and how I play.

11. inkstar

inkstar Premium

boiling water will not kill bugs

12. TattooJay

TattooJay Premium

anytown
    Jay
    Good advice in this thread by saying NO, you can not do this. Let me tell you why you can not do this, even if you are only using them on yourself.
    The measures for making sure something is sterile are in place for a reason.

Blood & Serum can form a serious bacteria that will form can get you severely sick. True you can not give yourself HIV or things like that from your own blood. But you can give yourself a serious illness that you may not catch in time.