Voltage

Discussion in 'Machines, Equipment & Setup' started by j3rz3y1, 26 Sep 2009.

1. j3rz3y1

j3rz3y1 Premium

Benson, NC
    Frankie B
    I always beleaved that the liner voltage was higher then the shading voltage because you make cirles when you shad in colors . Little do i know so i quess that i line at 7 to 7.5 an shade at around 9 on my machine.When i buy the book it should explain all that to me i guess . being dumb hurts thanks for all the help guys an girls ill take any that i can get .

2. j3rz3y1

j3rz3y1 Premium

Benson, NC
    Frankie B
    high low voltage turn around

I just checked the literateture i got with my machines again and it insist its high voltage liner low shader im so confused . I guess teh states are a little backwards lol . Are you sure its low liner high shader . Ed

3. GMMAD

GMMAD Regular Member

liner should be set between 7-8 and shader 8-9 from what I have read and from the tutorials that I have watched

4. Rondog

Rondog Premium

Hi Battlemedic

From what ive read on the course work from here is that the liner is set between 7 - 8 volts and a gap of a dime or a 5p british money and set between 8 - 10 for shading with a gap of a nickel or a 2p coin british money . from how i understand it and it works well for me.

Cheers
    Ron

5. DavidE

DavidE Premium

The volts ALWAYS depends on the machine, and also the setup that you have. You will soon be able to hear the difference between running well and not!

Practice and practice some more, and tou will start to see perfect lines.

6. Jay

Jay Regular Member

I always beleaved that the liner voltage was higher then the shading voltage too...
    mmmhh...

7. crow3030

crow3030 Premium

ireland
    lee
    my shader runs higher voltage than my linner look for the figure 8 on the armature bar nipple as for small circles i normally run anti clockwise circles count to 5 so your not over working the skin

8. j3rz3y1

j3rz3y1 Premium

Benson, NC
    Frankie B
    thats what ive been reading in the forums,here in the states its just the opposate high on liner low on shader thats what the forums read here but i will buy the book an go from there . thanks for the info tho it will help . Why counter clockwise tho ?

9. crow3030

crow3030 Premium

ireland
    lee
    skin takes it better anticlockwise lifts the skin better for colouring.
    same as linning we work a line down in one stroke not up.
    and when tattooing move from left to right.
    you need the course ourfella pay by paypal and its then a direct download you can print all the course out soem really good stuff in there

10. Koi

Koi Premium

Bristol
    Sharron
    My shader runs at a lot lower voltage than my liner, and i dont get what you mean by anticlockwise. It doesnt really matter which way you go. Same as the left to right business.

A little tip for getting a brilliant continuous soft hum from your shader.

When positioning the elastic bands on the needle bar, slide the bands down as far to the bottom before fouling the back stem. Then turn the volts down as low as possible, so when your thumb is on the grommet, the speed slows slightly.

You will find you get a lovely smooth shade effect with diluted black.
    Try it.

11. j3rz3y1

j3rz3y1 Premium

Benson, NC
    Frankie B
    thanks

thanks Koi

12. crow3030

crow3030 Premium

ireland
    lee
    its as easy as that then well spoken koi your little tip for a continuous hum i dident realise i could just plug my machine in and turn the volts down and thats it tuned to shade?
    should have said thats my way for and lining we all have different ways in tattooing i work from bottom then left to right cheers ;-)

13. j3rz3y1

j3rz3y1 Premium

Benson, NC
    Frankie B
    sorry Crow

I didn't mean to offend you Crow its just that in the states everything seems to be backward and im abbsorbing all info i can to make the experiance easier lol over here we don't have a beginners forum and getting info from tattoo artist is hard . I want to thank you for your help ann i have written it down for futre referance thanks . Ed

14. spongeboob74

spongeboob74 Premium

i understood it that if you run your shader fast on a short stroke its better for a smoother shading... but for filling block colour a slow longer stroke is better!?!? but im really no expert so am probably totally wrong

15. Deziner

Deziner The Bitch! Premium

Norwich - UK
    Claire
    Did anyone watch the Joshua Carlton DVD's?
    On the 2nd volume at the very beginning he tells you how to set 3 machines up and all with different "sounds" and "jobs".

Machine 1 - Smooth shader, not colour packer.
    Contact gap should be nearly, but not quite touching the front spring. 7ish volts, (Before you shoot me down, this will vary with every machine).

Machine 2 - Liner, or precision colour such as white.
    Wind the contact screw out very slightly from the previous setting, to give slightly more punch, and add possible 1/2 volt (.50).

Machine 3 - Colour packer, solid colour (Not shade).
    Wind the contact screw out while the machine is running, until it is just running smoothly, and not missing a beat! (Around thickness of a credit card is nearly there). You will see the long stroke now!

Hope this helps you as much as it helped me! (My finger hurts now)!

Ps Josh Carlton DVD's aren't so expensive :wink:

16. j3rz3y1

j3rz3y1 Premium

Benson, NC
    Frankie B
    I have yet to start shading think i will on my son tho hes pretty easy to get along with so maybe he will let me I hope anyway :biggrin: