2 Machines Vs 3 Machines???

gearhead91

Premium
First Name
Michael
Hey guys how many of ya'll use only 2 machines, and by 2 machines i mean a liner and a shader ~vs~ a liner, shader, and a color packer? is a color packer needed or will a shader pack color just fine? is there a setup geared more toward a shader/color machine ~vs~ just a shader or are they the same?

as always any and all advise is much appreciated.
thanks

Remove Ads

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
Some people like to use a liner to do shading, but it would have to have at least 10 rap coils because of the needle grouping, i would definitely recommend two good machines up against three cheap ones, I have started to use the cheyenne hawk and only need the one machine, like me more and more people are starting to use rotary an all in one machine.

gearhead91

Premium
First Name
Michael
yea i have heard alot about the rotary machines and an all in one machine "WOW" thats versatile. so will a shader do fine going form shading a piece straight in to coloring it in or will adjustments need to be made to the machine or just to the power supply, like increasing volts?

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
with all machines being different it's hard to give you detailed settings, this is one of those things that comes with practise, i seem to use 7 mags, and 7 round shaders for most shading and i have less needle out, so the needles are not going in as deep, i do turn the power supply up a tad but my power supply went on one and so the digital read out doesn't work any more so it is all by sound, also make sure you dilute your black enough so you can keep adding ink until you get the right shade, i'm only just getting used to the hawk machine not making any noise and at first i was running it way to fast but like everything els it comes with practice.

Chops

Premium
First Name
Steve
Depends on the tattoo. I generally use a liner with a 5RL and a shader with either a 5RL or a 9RL depending on which i need. Sometimes I'll have a 3rd machine set up with something else, sometimes a 3RL or an 18RS. My boss used to have a spare machine set up to do white highlights so he didn't need to change needles and tubes, he'd just grab another machine.

Also you 'can' use just about any machine for any application. It's possible with some minor tweaks to line with a shader or shade with a liner. When I first started tattooing I didn't have a clue about tuning machines so I just used whatever machine for whatever application. It's not ideal, but it is possible.

inkstar

Premium
First Name
OG
i have 15 machines 4 liners liner's run 8wrap 10warp 12warp and all the rest are shaders ,most of the time i only use a liner and two shaders but if its a big job and there's lot of tricky bits il use,3L 5L,8rs 14rs,9m2,23m2, 6 machines it pays to have a few extra machines if ones playing up you can just set up a new machine and keep going but yes it pays to have a liner set up just for line work

Tarantula

Premium
First Name
Jais
I have 7 machines, I use 3 most times and have machines ready in case I have a problem, I'd rather just switch a machine than try to fix one mid tattoo...

The three I use are set up as liner, packer and shader. I build my own machines and they are set up to do the job they are meant for for example there is no way you could pack in colour with the shader without changing springs, abar etc, but for putting in smooth greys its perfect.