2 Machines Vs 3 Machines???

gearhead91

Premium
First Name
Michael
hey guys posted this in the lining, shading, and coloring section but thinking it prob. belongs here more than there so sorry for double thread.

how many of ya'll use only 2 machines, and by 2 machines i mean a liner and a shader ~vs~ a liner, shader, and a color packer? is a color packer needed or will a shader pack color just fine? is there a setup geared more toward a shader/color machine ~vs~ just a shader or are they the same?

as always any and all advise is much appreciated.
thanks

jeffdodge

Basic
First Name
Jeffrey Dodge
I believe that comes down more to artist preference. I have seen some only use a liner and shader, like my brother who works in a shop and some use three machines. I use two identical rotary machines at different voltages; in a pinch I could easily just use one machine.

Chops

Premium
First Name
Steve
Yeah, i agree with Jeffdodge, it's artist preference. I found that if I turn my sharer up 0.5v it will pack color pretty well. It's not necessary to have heaps of machines especially when starting out.

My normal setup for a medium sized black and gray tattoo is 1 liner and 2 shaders (1 shaded with a small round and one with a larger round) but if there is going to be some black fill or something I'll swap out the second shaded for a color packer.

That's just ne though, every artist is different.