2 weeks into the start of my journey...

Stephanie92

Basic
First Name
Steph
Hi all, I'm Steph, I'm 28 from Bristol UK, I've recently in the past 2 weeks started practising tattooing at home. I have 2 differnt machines, about 100 fake skins to practise on and a variety of differnt needles and cartridges ect. I think so far I've made great progress with my line work and just basic general knowledge of tattooing. I'm just looking for advice on shading at the moment, I've managed to steady my hand and get rather consistent lines considering I'm literally 2 weeks in to my journey. But I'm struggling to work out how is best to shade ect, more so the strokes of shading and how not to go out the lines of the outline ect if that makes sense. I'll upload a pic of my recent attempt at a tattoo last night. Any advice AT ALL is welcome! Thank you x

Torb

Premium
Media
First Name
Torbjorn
Hi Steph. Looks like you are off to a good start. Shading can be tricky. I'd recommend watching lots of closeup shading on YouTube. There are lots of different techniques that work. As far as shading up to a line. Its mainly practice and having a good light so you can see exactly where your needles are going. Good luck 👍

Stephanie92

Basic
First Name
Steph
Hi Steph. Looks like you are off to a good start. Shading can be tricky. I'd recommend watching lots of closeup shading on YouTube. There are lots of different techniques that work. As far as shading up to a line. Its mainly practice and having a good light so you can see exactly where your needles are going. Good luck 👍
Hi torb, first off thank you for your reply. I've been living on YouTube videos the past 2 weeks, I find them so so helpful! And attempted a differnt shading technique last night, which was easier to do, but a bit harder to blend to get the perfect gradient, but I'll gget there, I'm a determined person! I may invest in a decent light in my set up area also, I didn't think of that thank you 😊

Torb

Premium
Media
First Name
Torbjorn
Hi torb, first off thank you for your reply. I've been living on YouTube videos the past 2 weeks, I find them so so helpful! And attempted a differnt shading technique last night, which was easier to do, but a bit harder to blend to get the perfect gradient, but I'll gget there, I'm a determined person! I may invest in a decent light in my set up area also, I didn't think of that thank you 😊
No problem 😊 . Getting a smooth gradient is definitely hard. I've been at it a while and still struggle with it.

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
to me it looks like you need to slow your hand down whilst shading.
instead of trying to shade a rose - just try the various hand motions that are in the shading tutorials. once you have some muscle memory built up then start applying that to shape & what not.
i think for 2 weeks in you are doing a great job, concentrate on getting the basics though - bad habits learned early are hard to correct.

Remove Ads

Torb

Premium
Media
First Name
Torbjorn
You have probably already seen this guys tutorials. If you haven't, its definitely worth checking out 👍

KyleBl4ck

Premium
Media
First Name
Kyle
MrSinister2099
Lining is hard....
On practice skin, learn to go slow enough that you feel the pull of the needle.
It will be different on real skin.

Also, find your balance so you dont get as many wobbles. A lot of people use the knuckle of their ring finger or their pinky.

Dzikichrzan

Premium
First Name
Jakub
@dzikichrzan
hey hey hey, considering 2 weeks from start its a very nice piece :) and true linning is a bitch, after proper close up I can see some start/end point of a line in few places, to avoid it try to start your line overlaping end of one you made already ( if that make sense) also would suggest to slow down hand movement. OK regarding shading I really like the dotty effect, I like to shaping every peatel its own direction