2nd Go on Pig - Traditional Ship

flashhighland

Premium
Media
First Name
Steve
Never really had a go at traditional or colours for that matter so had a go at a traditional ship design. It was my girlfriends idea, she pretends to be my customer, and gives me a idea of what she'd like. (A bit like role play but with tattoos :icon_eek: ). So, she said she wanted a traditional ship with a pirate flag and a figurehead at the bow. I added the ruby, rope and sun etc just to finish it off. Took about 3 hours and is pretty much a4 size.
First time mixing colours too. (I have like 5 colours until tomorrow when i'll have trillions!)
Feedback welcome.

Stencil going on Mr Pig
IMG_2979.jpg

Outline done
IMG_2980.jpg

Finished.
IMG_2983.jpg

Remove Ads

X DEBS X

Basic
First Name
Debbie
I really like that, good job, your gonna be a great tattoo artist.:icon_biggrin:

If i can pick at something, it would be the purple shading - i think if it was blended out towards the edge it would look great, also the greens and blues in the water, try blending them into each other. Im sure your get the hang of it in no time.

Wish i could have advised you not to buy scream inks, but nevermind, as long as they are only for practice on pig and not real people coz they are crap.:icon_mrgreen:

It would be worth you buying a better brand ink, just one or 2 so you can see the difference in quality and consistency of them compared to scream.

Overall, im really impressed by your work and cant wait to see more from you!:icon_cheesygrin:

flashhighland

Premium
Media
First Name
Steve
Thank-you so much Debs! I really appreciate that. :icon_biggrin:
Yeah, I realise the Scream inks are cheap crap, but they work ok on pig skin and until i'm doing some real good quality work I don't want to tattoo people! So practice, practice, practice.
I'll definately buy better machines and inks etc as I get better, I really don't want "all the gear, no idea". Seems daft to spend loads just to do pigskin and throw out.
You're dead right about the shading, i'm not happy with my shading at all if i'm honest. I'm using a Stealth rotary and it seems very much all or nothing when applying colour. Any ideas where i'm going wrong?
The purple was supposed to fade in but I couldn't suss it, same with the sea.
As soon as I get the shading sorted i'll be a lot happier and I know my work will be better.

X DEBS X

Basic
First Name
Debbie
You are right that you shouldnt spend a fortune when practising but you are getting used to working with rubbish equipment at the same time...

Ive never used a stealth so cant really comment on that but there seem to be some good reviews on it.

When shading, try dipping your needle in water before blending the outer edges, this way your not saturating the skin fully and remember to pull your needle out in an onwards and upwards direction when leaving the skin or in a light circular motion.

What needle groupings are you using?

flashhighland

Premium
Media
First Name
Steve
Hi,
My shaders a 7 weaved mag, size 12. If i'm brutally honest i'm still not hugely clued up on needle sizes and need to read up more on what's best to use. I'll booked in on a days intensive training course later this month to learn all the finer details of tattooing and to get my million questions answered!
I've tried the water and the method you described, I just need more practice.
What machines and ink do you use? I'm looking at buying better machines now i'm getting right into it so would like some advice!

X DEBS X

Basic
First Name
Debbie
After i got rid of the scream inks, i thought id try bloodline/skin candy so i bought a few of those, seem nice colours but just a little too thick for me, then i bought a few moms colours which are really nice to work with and they have a great range of colours too, i have not tested them in real skin yet though as all my tattoos have been black and grey. I recently bought eternal inks to start with colours on real skin and will problably get a few intenze aswell.

So if i was in your position and didnt want to spend loads of money, i would go with moms.

As for machines, i got rid of chinese rubbish, then i got a hoodlum shader off ebay, not a bad machine for the price, i got a glyn flew liner from ebay, still use this, they are great machines, tried another handmade coil machine off ebay, havent used much but may be good for packing.

Now, im using a hyper stigma v2 with a critical cx-2 power supply and i love them!:icon_cheesygrin: Cant wait to get another rotary but ive got to chill out on the spending! lol!

flashhighland

Premium
Media
First Name
Steve
After i got rid of the scream inks, i thought id try bloodline/skin candy so i bought a few of those, seem nice colours but just a little too thick for me, then i bought a few moms colours which are really nice to work with and they have a great range of colours too, i have not tested them in real skin yet though as all my tattoos have been black and grey. I recently bought eternal inks to start with colours on real skin and will problably get a few intenze aswell.

So if i was in your position and didnt want to spend loads of money, i would go with moms.

As for machines, i got rid of chinese rubbish, then i got a hoodlum shader off ebay, not a bad machine for the price, i got a glyn flew liner from ebay, still use this, they are great machines, tried another handmade coil machine off ebay, havent used much but may be good for packing.

Now, im using a hyper stigma v2 with a critical cx-2 power supply and i love them!:icon_cheesygrin: Cant wait to get another rotary but ive got to chill out on the spending! lol!
I 100% agree with all the above! I really REALLY want the Stigma Hyper V2, my tattoo heroes Nikko, Kat, Mike Devries, Tim Hendrick all bloody use them or at least used them a lot and all say they're badass, and they'd know right?!!
Do you reckon i'm adopting bad habits then by using a shit Chinese liner? If so, that'd be a great excuse to just go out and buy the Stigma. Where did you get your Stigma and CX-2 from?

Thanks
Steve