P 8 or 10 Wrap Coils?

barcode1973

Premium
First Name
Lee
When I bought my kit the guy on ebay made a point of stating his machines were both 10 wrap coils and not inferior 8 wrap ones. When I look at machines for sale online the really expensive ones all seem to be 8 wrap?
How can 1 machine be *£40 and another *£200? both looking pretty simillair to me

MrSpoon

Premium
First Name
Darren
i think the term "wraps" is ver miselading really, as in reality a tattoo machine coile is basically a bobbin with about 300 turns of wire around itm so technicallty... wraps make no sense :eek:

but anyway, i have good quality machines and all the liners are 8 "wrap" and all the shaders are 10, think this is pretty much standard and anything like 12 or 14 is just overkill.

alot of the cheap chinese stuff will state 10"wrap" but will infact be 8 :rolleyes:
you have to be carefull with ebay, you can see once machine for *£6 and then see the exact same machine for *£30 but with fancier background and better quality photo o give the impression its a good buy. id personally go for a secong hand well known tattoo machine as opposed to a cheap unknown machine thats not setup, they say they are but they're not, straight from the factory and run like stephen hawking!

barcode1973

Premium
First Name
Lee
I bought this one of this guy if you woud have a look and tell me your thoughts?

It all arrived very quickly and was all there and working fine. He also advised me on setup overall for what I paid I was more than happy and I did some serious research before I parted with my cash! As I get more serious I will invest in better kit but i'm quite happy with this at the moment.

lol just looked at his feedback he has sold about 40 since I ordered mine on 11th Jan

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UK-tattoo-Kit-2Gun-Machine-DigitalPower-Tube-Needle-Ink_W0QQitemZ170596303848QQcategoryZ33917QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m506QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DNGRI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D170585722141%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6695743374587488262

MrSpoon

Premium
First Name
Darren
looks an alright kit, certainly all you will need to get you started, hard to say what the machines are like people will always say they are set up ready to go straight away but in reality they are just assessmbled and need adjusting, a few people on youtube say they just replace the springs on the cheap china machines and they run pretty good. the cheaper chinese machines i have will produce decent lines now i've adjusted them and set them up properly and i know a lass who also uses similar machines and she's doing nice neat work.

j3rz3y1

Premium
Media
First Name
Frank
tattoo kits

Theres a company called Hildbrandt that sell canadian machines they have a kit thats 199.00 american right now, its a sweet kit.It comes with 3 machines made in canada 50 needles grips an tips ink all you need to get started . Not tryin to sell you on it but its worth a look HILDBRANDT TATTOO SUPPY

barcode1973

Premium
First Name
Lee
I stripped the liner down and rebuilt it (from the free manual on here) and it does seem to be running ok. I replaced my first O ring today as it was very loose and it seems to be running sweet at the moment. I have seen machines for *£600 I just can't imagine how much better these could be (although the wireless battery kit looks pretty cool)

MrSpoon

Premium
First Name
Darren
i think in general, any tattoo machine will do you fine no problems, just with these chinese machines you have no idea what guage springs your using, they could be identical but too soft or too hard, once you try different configurations they may work just as the standards ones but you find they are that little bit smoother etc
i also one of the biggest probs is the machines arent in line properly and coils too close together, wrong heighs in relation to the armature bar but small washer on the front will solve that, difference might only be minor but will takes alot of experience to notice what benefits it brings if any atall, i still dont know myself fully, jsut what i've read, all in the noggin with no evidence to confirm it all unfortunately, one day eh :cool:

Xaphaniel

Premium
First Name
Robb
For myself i use 8 wrap for my lining and 10-12 wrap for shading

as it goes it was explained to me that if i was using a 1-9RL then the 8wrap would be fine anything above that use the 10wrap and with shading the 10wrap gives a better punch because of the widder area the shading needle hits the skin at

if i can find it will post up the info i got thats just a simple version of it

and also just on a side note the tat machines you get in the cheep kits seem to be made of some sort of light weight alloy for my self i find no matter how much i tuned them the lines still went in wobbly i found using iron frames of steel frames helped cut down some of the vibrations giving a smoother run