Added some color to a Black and grey tattoo

Beirdo

Premium
First Name
Josh
My buddy let me try some of his color inks out and I thought it would be a good time to do a bit to the ram skull and rose I did on my leg a while back. I wanted a bit of a vintage look and not ultra realistic. I'm pretty happy with it over all, though I think I could have chosen a better green or mixed somw red into it for a browner look in parts. All in all it came together pretty nice. Also let me try out the new machine I got.

Solong Hybrid Pen
13bm
Starlite ink

Attachments

• 1601332653143.jpg
    1601332653143.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20201016_084239.jpg
    20201016_084239.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 19

TexasPT

Premium Gold
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
I think you did a nice job. One of the challenges with color over gray wash is it can tend to muddy things up. I think those reds survived great and I really like that you left teh negative space at the tops of the petals like that. I think the greens just couldn't handle the grays...maybe when this heals come back with a solid black and LIGHTLY put those shadows back in where you wanted them initially.

I would also take the opportunity to reline some stuff...adjust some weights for consistency. Best part about our self-tattoos is the chances we get to go back in and play with them over and over. :) I've got stuff I've hit 4-5 times.

nice work.

Beirdo

Premium
First Name
Josh
I think you did a nice job. One of the challenges with color over gray wash is it can tend to muddy things up. I think those reds survived great and I really like that you left teh negative space at the tops of the petals like that. I think the greens just couldn't handle the grays...maybe when this heals come back with a solid black and LIGHTLY put those shadows back in where you wanted them initially.

I would also take the opportunity to reline some stuff...adjust some weights for consistency. Best part about our self-tattoos is the chances we get to go back in and play with them over and over. :) I've got stuff I've hit 4-5 times.

nice work.
Thanks for the feedback! You're definitely right about the greens. I also didn't choose those based on these leaves but a different project and tried to make them work. Seems we are both on the same page with how the colors turned out which makes me pretty happy. Means I'm learning and seeing the application from a solid lens.
I may reline the rose area and outside of the ram skull but pretty happy with the inner lines of the ram. May also try some light washes in the ram to give it a bit of color and see how I like working with washed colors. Im digging the sort of vintage, washed out look this has over all and might play with that more. Maybe add a jar in the background.

sheyd

Premium
First Name
Shey
I think the red looks great! you did great with the skin breaks for the highlights. I don't mind the greens you choose but I think you didn't add the same level of dimension as you did with the petals. I would've made the edges and the center parts deliberately different colors so they popped more.

Beirdo

Premium
First Name
Josh
I think the red looks great! you did great with the skin breaks for the highlights. I don't mind the greens you choose but I think you didn't add the same level of dimension as you did with the petals. I would've made the edges and the center parts deliberately different colors so they popped more.
Thank you for the feedback! The highlights are actually a pink but poor camera angle makes it look like skin breaks. Still haven't found that just right way of getting good photos of the work (definitely looks different in person). I think the leaves suffered from what Tex was talking about with the grey wash muddying things up a bit. The 3 colors of greens are pretty different spectrum wise and just sort of ended up mushed together (you can see some of the lighter green in the very middle of the bigger leaf). The top 3 actually look a bit more like that bottom one but looks washed out in the photo. In event, that was the intention, making the edges and very middle 'stems' different colors. Probably could have done well with some green/white highlights.

TexasPT

Premium Gold
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
sometimes when I'm doing leaves I'll take a golden yellow and mix it with my medium green and it gives a lemony pop around the edges. Because it's not just another green I feel like it gives it an easy feel of dimension with less work. (did that sound lazy?) Like in the hibiscus here...those leaves have dark green, medium green and then the mix with a golden yellow.

Attachments

• 2020-10-14_07-43-20.png
    2020-10-14_07-43-20.png
    531.6 KB · Views: 8