Advice on Cover Up

msrsimpkin

Premium
First Name
Rachael
Hi guys. A few years back I had a tattoo done of a pin up girl and, while I don't hate it, I'm not really happy with it. If I'm honest, I should have done more research into the artist who did it for me, as I think she wasn't too good at realistic features or shading. I had to go back to her a few times to add to it because it seemed so plain and unrealistic (especially compared to the picture I took to her).

Anyway, it's just not what I wanted. I was looking for something reminiscent of the old wartime pinup drawings, not the more modern cartoon-y style pinups. I absolutely love all of my other tattoos, but I tend to hide this one away because I'm not happy with it, so I've decided to get it redone. I'm posting to ask your opinions on what you think I should do with it.

I'm not sure whether to just take the original picture to a new artist and ask them to clean it up and make her what I wanted in the first place, or to go for something completely different. Like maybe a Zombie or Pirate (something I really love), as the shading is off in some places and I'm not sure if it can be sorted without completely covering it.

If anyone has any ideas about what I could do with it, I'd love to hear them. I'm interested in any ideas you have, be it just a simple rework, or a complete cover up because I'm a little lost at the moment.

Thank you <3

PS. It's mainly the face that I'm unhappy, like the ugly, unnatural grey shading on her cheeks and forehead. The artist assured me that it would fade when in healed, but it didn't! So, I'm not sure how easy it would be to cover up.

Remove Ads

Attachments

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
I think it would be better to try and improve what's already there. Perhaps get some more decent shading added and darken it up to make her look more dusky, this would then soften some some of the lining especially on the legs. You could also add some jewelery like bracelets and chains. Alternatively you could alter it to look more like a pirate as you mentioned. In my limited experience unless you are prepared to go much bigger it would be difficult to do a nice cover up. One last thing I would do is to shade an area outside of the line work this will give it a more realistic look, and re-do the facial features.:icon_idea:

Flying Monkey

Premium
First Name
Chris
If it was me, I would find a really good artist and have it just fixed. Doesnt look like too much damage was done and a good artist should be able to bring a lot of life to the face.

Fozz

Premium
Media
First Name
Michael
She does look a bit freaky without a nose..... It looks like it could be easily fixed though, I don't see any reason why you'd have to completely cover it......

msrsimpkin

Premium
First Name
Rachael
Thanks for all your replies. You guys are probably right, if I find a competent artist who know what he/she is doing, I could probably get away with just having it touched up, as opposed to a complete cover up.

I'm probably just dramatising it because I've lived with disliking it for so long, and I suppose it just seems to snowball. What started off as a few imperfections has now become a hideous eyesore to me, I guess.