Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Advice on self made tattoo

First Name
Erin
I made this tattoo on my arm few weeks ago now its all healed and I can see it healed pretty rough than I wanted, you can see the skin and the tattoo has a rough surface (not smooth) am I doing something wrong here? My needle was too deep? was using 7rl and7rs rotary.. Idk if its just my skin but I made some tats on my legs too and same result... Let me know and thanks in advance!

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
the skin is scared if its all rough.over worked and too deep...you see the blue haze around it..thats under bleeding from going too deep also.. the needle only needs to penetrate about 2mm so not as deep as you think..dont practice on your arm as A you cant hide it and B you cant stretch the skin...im a big believer of practice skin.. its a good base for learning without tattooing yourself..

fylfot

Donator  
Premium
First Name
david
how long ago did you do this? the skin takes upto 3 months to fully heal.

fylfot

Donator  
Premium
First Name
david
ok, so the majority of healing has been done. Maybe the needle was a bit unstable in the tip causing a bit more trauma than it should.

First Name
Erin
ok, so the majority of healing has been done. Maybe the needle was a bit unstable in the tip causing a bit more trauma than it should.
Unstable tip? Im using a pen rotary.. mind explaining?

AtlantaNate

Premium
First Name
Nathan
Unstable tip? Im using a pen rotary.. mind explaining?
Traditional needle on bar tattoo needles use a combination of bend and rubber bands to keep the needle from moving side to side and front to back in the tube. This means the only movement is up and down into the skin. Cartridges do not have them same set up because of the way they are built. As a result, they have the potential to move other ways besides up and down. This is one of the main cons of a needle cartridge. This side to side play could be caused by numerous things and that is why there are so many different machine types. Its up to the artist to research and test until they find the set up that works the best for them.

Another reason could be damaged needles either coming from the manufacturer or from hitting the bottom of your ink caps. You should buy a Jewler's Loupe to check out the needles before using them. Even expensive needles have issues sometimes and if you are buying cheap needles you may have to toss as much as 20% of your needles. I haven't been doing it long enough to find bad ones but this info is from reviews and videos I've seen.

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
one of my mate takes his needles out of the carts and puts a slight bend it the bar so the hold the back of the tube

Last edited:

Patch72

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Russ
my mate takes his needles out of the carts and puts a slight bend it the bar so the hold the back of the tube
Is that still sterile when you break the carts down?

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
they just pull out and push back in.. its not the needle coming out of the slide the needle and guide if that's what you want to call it comes out together

Attachments

First Name
Erin
one of my mate takes his needles out of the carts and puts a slight bend it the bar so the hold the back of the tube
is that actually recommended? I never heard of cartridge needle bending before and would you recommend it?

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
i dont use carts personally.. but hes a very experianced artist and knows what hes doing..now cartridges may very and it may me only certain ones you can do it with..but id certainly inspect yours and see if its possible..or craft your skills using traditional machines..pens are good but i think and this is how im being taught.. use either a coil or rotary..im on rotary atm..my teacher said i gotta learn with machines before pens or cart machines...he said learn how to set them up and tune them..get your foundation..imagine you go on holiday.. pop in to a studio and have a chat... they turn to you and say do you fancy guest spotting today we are really busy.you can use our machines..we have coils or rotarys over there you can use..your gonna look pretty fckin stupid if you say you dont know how to set one up and tune it to how you need it....thats what i was told..just giving you the advise i was given mate..

balooka

Premium
First Name
Jay
I just checked a bunch of carts that I use on reelskin (other used ones are in the bin) and there is no wiggle or play in any of them. So maybe cheap crappy carts have play, but decent ones seem to be just tight as a fiddle.

I have seen one guy bend his single needle carts but not for play, only to get a better inkflow. The singles are dead center in the cart and bending them a tad down makes ‘m pick up more ink. So he says. I have tried that but the difference, if any, is not noticable in my case.

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
I talked to a pro tattooer only about a week ago - he's been a tattooer for 25 years - and he told me he does exactly this with his carts. I wouldn't do it myself, but the rattling with needles, even when ever so little, is extremely annoying. And I'm using Da Vinci and Kwadron carts and a Bishop Fantom rotary. The most expensive carts there is, and an expensive top quality rotary.

I think this is a problem only when using the smallest groupings; single needles and 3rl (which is what I use a lot).

The tattooer I talked to also did it because he claimed the ink flow get better when he bends them.

Anyone who feels like experimenting with the carts I would say give it a try.

The only rotary I've found where the needles are ON POINT every time is my new Inkmachines Scorpion. It has its own needle cart system though.

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
yeah thinking about it its his lining needles he bends..he also chucks new needles away after just 1 line saying nope dont like that...none of his machines are cheap..and neither is he at £100 per hour..but his work commands that money

balooka

Premium
First Name
Jay
Maybe I misunderstood. The rattling, is that the noise or the play in the needle? I checked Elite, Cheyenne, MagicMoon, EZ and Pinup, and the pinups are crap. The only play I get from the others is the flex of the needles, #10’s flexing the most. But at a normal needlehang I have no real play. What carts are giving that much play that you have to bend them?

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
my mate used Cheyenne hawk i think .not seen him for yrs so i dont know what hes using these days

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Maybe I misunderstood. The rattling, is that the noise or the play in the needle? I checked Elite, Cheyenne, MagicMoon, EZ and Pinup, and the pinups are crap. The only play I get from the others is the flex of the needles, #10’s flexing the most. But at a normal needlehang I have no real play. What carts are giving that much play that you have to bend them?
I'll try and film my needles with my machines to show.