December drawing contest now active! Here

Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Advice with solid black tattooing

Irisnawer

Basic
First Name
Iris
Hi everybody! :)

I started tattooing as a hobby maybe 2 years ago and I've been on and off all this time but lately I tried to be more consistent because I really want to improve my skills and technique. I improved pretty well the lines and the lettering but I'm still struggling with the solid black. The style my designs have atm are pure b&w with no shading but with big black parts so I can't avoid missing some spots that I can only see when the tattoo is healed. I have the feeling (and probably I'm right lol) that I'm doing it wrong or I'm using the wrong needles. What would you recommend to improve this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Remove Ads Close

Dazza

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Daryl
Which needles are you using ? I’m sure most would agree that mags are the way to go ,curved or flat there’s arguments for both ,if I do solid black fills ,I usually set my needle throw at 1.5 -2mm and then just ride the tip ,this way should give perfect depth so you only have to think about a good stretch and your technique ,which should be tight overlapping circles and a good angle 45 degrees ,slow and steady wins the race

Irisnawer

Basic
First Name
Iris
Which needles are you using ? I’m sure most would agree that mags are the way to go ,curved or flat there’s arguments for both ,if I do solid black fills ,I usually set my needle throw at 1.5 -2mm and then just ride the tip ,this way should give perfect depth so you only have to think about a good stretch and your technique ,which should be tight overlapping circles and a good angle 45 degrees ,slow and steady wins the race

Hi Daryl! Thanks for the tip :)
I know i'm going be called scratcher but I sometimes I was using the same line needle (only when the solid black area was small). But now, I want to fill bigger areas so the advice you gave me about the mags will help a lot. However, I'll need to practice with fake skin or oranges to see how 'good' is my technique haha

Dazza

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Daryl
Look up Reelskin .com they sell excellent fake skin but don’t buy it till they have a sale as sometimes it’s up to 50% off and I’m sure they will,have a Christmas sale soon ,and we don’t call,any one a scratcher as most of us are self taught 🙂👍

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art

Irisnawer

Basic
First Name
Iris
Thank you so much for the advice and for the link :) I've heard a lot of good things about that brand but also that is pretty expensive. It's good to know they have some sales in Christmas. That's going to be one of my self-gifts this year haha

First Name
Allen
Instagram
hellhoundkustoms
Thank you so much for the advice and for the link :) I've heard a lot of good things about that brand but also that is pretty expensive. It's good to know they have some sales in Christmas. That's going to be one of my self-gifts this year haha
I think it's a little more expensive over here in the states since we only have one authorized seller, but I can tell you it's worth the cost. The amount of time I wasted on the cheaper stuff was horrible and worthless. The only thing gained from it was holding my machines. I spent 53 USD on 1 A3 sheet and 2 A4, basically 8 A4 sheets worth when you count both sides at under 7USD each. I'm still working on the first side of one of the A4 sheets using small designs and filling it up with focused practice. Once I can't fit anymore designs on it, I'll background fill the whole thing and get every bit of practice possible :)

Irisnawer

Basic
First Name
Iris
I think it's a little more expensive over here in the states since we only have one authorized seller, but I can tell you it's worth the cost. The amount of time I wasted on the cheaper stuff was horrible and worthless. The only thing gained from it was holding my machines. I spent 53 USD on 1 A3 sheet and 2 A4, basically 8 A4 sheets worth when you count both sides at under 7USD each. I'm still working on the first side of one of the A4 sheets using small designs and filling it up with focused practice. Once I can't fit anymore designs on it, I'll background fill the whole thing and get every bit of practice possible :)
Thanks for the advice! I will need to do the investment soon but they charge me almost the double of the price of the product just for the shipping, packaging and VAT... -___- I'm going to wait until the Christmas sales and see if I can get something good haha

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
Thanks for the advice! I will need to do the investment soon but they charge me almost the double of the price of the product just for the shipping, packaging and VAT... -___- I'm going to wait until the Christmas sales and see if I can get something good haha
It shouldnt cost more to ship from the uk to ireland, you are looking at reelskin uk i presume, it is an excellent product, if you register they will contact you with regular offers, my latest trainee purchased a bag of off cuts from them which was chap.

79josh81

Premium
First Name
Josh
Hey Dazza, when you say needle throw at 1.5mm to 2mm, do you mean that’s the length of needle you have hanging out from the tip of the tube to the tip of the needle when the machine is running? And then you’re riding the tube and packing the color at a 45 degree angle? I’m just trying to make sure I’m understanding this right.

Vitki Veiruz

Premium
Media
First Name
Andrew
Hey Dazza, when you say needle throw at 1.5mm to 2mm, do you mean that’s the length of needle you have hanging out from the tip of the tube to the tip of the needle when the machine is running? And then you’re riding the tube and packing the color at a 45 degree angle? I’m just trying to make sure I’m understanding this right.
I’m sure when dazza said throw what was meant was depth because throw is how far the needle moves on each swing
Just trying to help clarify

Dazza

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Daryl
Yes correct the amount of needle sticking out past the tip with the machine running,so when you touch the tip to skin the needle will,only penetrate to that depth