• Later today, the site will be offline for essential server upgrades. This upgrade should run without any problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.

another newb checkin in

Indica

Premium
First Name
indica
humble greetings from Canada
, stoked to have stumbled on this goldmine of knowledge <3

I'm as green as they come as far as tattooing goes but I've been living off my art for a few years now, work primarily with an airbrush when im painting, but dabble in whatever medium suits the mood and the design. I've been dreaming about tattooing since i was a kid and knew someday when the timing was right i would get my hands on some gear and get learned up.
A couple weeks ago i ordered a kit that came with three coil machines and all the other usual ingredients.. filled up my practice skin and considered ordering some reel skin after watching enough youtube tutorials to make my eyes bleed. I opted to just dive right into tattooing my legs and I doubt ill ever stick another needle in latex. I figured might as well embrace the suck get it over with, its pretty much the only way I've found i can learn is to throw myself in the deep end and figure out the details as i go. (within reason of course)

I was lucky enough to walk into tattoo shop for my first piece of tribal and hit it off with the artist and ended up getting a bunch of free work from him that at a time when no one knew his name in town and there was a dozen other shops.. carried a stack of his cards around and gave all the cards away in a hurry and then moved.. i went back to see how his shop was doing and turns out he made quite the name for himself..has a handful of apprentices and only works on sleeves or backpieces and those have to be booked at least a year in advance... anyways long story short i learned first hand what quality looks like and feels like. I'm 37 now and i was like 16 i think when he worked on my arm and it still looks fresh. And that is the quality of work i aim to achieve once i put in them dues learning the trade. So i guess you could say I'm in this for the long haul not just playing around.

anyways i hate intros but if im going to bother with one i usually try and say a lil more than just a hello. I'll post some progress pics in another thread.

cheers!

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
Welcome to the forum!

Although I'm much like you with diving into the deep, I do recognize the fact that reel skin (or similar) has its advantages. It is excellent for getting more consistency and getting to know your equipment. Practicing various sizes of needles for your line and shading work, different machines to see what works best for you, things like that. So don't discard it.
Other than that: just do it. :)

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
humble greetings from Canada
, stoked to have stumbled on this goldmine of knowledge <3

I'm as green as they come as far as tattooing goes but I've been living off my art for a few years now, work primarily with an airbrush when im painting, but dabble in whatever medium suits the mood and the design. I've been dreaming about tattooing since i was a kid and knew someday when the timing was right i would get my hands on some gear and get learned up.
A couple weeks ago i ordered a kit that came with three coil machines and all the other usual ingredients.. filled up my practice skin and considered ordering some reel skin after watching enough youtube tutorials to make my eyes bleed. I opted to just dive right into tattooing my legs and I doubt ill ever stick another needle in latex. I figured might as well embrace the suck get it over with, its pretty much the only way I've found i can learn is to throw myself in the deep end and figure out the details as i go. (within reason of course)

I was lucky enough to walk into tattoo shop for my first piece of tribal and hit it off with the artist and ended up getting a bunch of free work from him that at a time when no one knew his name in town and there was a dozen other shops.. carried a stack of his cards around and gave all the cards away in a hurry and then moved.. i went back to see how his shop was doing and turns out he made quite the name for himself..has a handful of apprentices and only works on sleeves or backpieces and those have to be booked at least a year in advance... anyways long story short i learned first hand what quality looks like and feels like. I'm 37 now and i was like 16 i think when he worked on my arm and it still looks fresh. And that is the quality of work i aim to achieve once i put in them dues learning the trade. So i guess you could say I'm in this for the long haul not just playing around.

anyways i hate intros but if im going to bother with one i usually try and say a lil more than just a hello. I'll post some progress pics in another thread.

cheers!
Welcome,
nice introduction. Let's see how the first tries went!

Peace,

DKJ

Indica

Premium
First Name
indica
Welcome to the forum!

Although I'm much like you with diving into the deep, I do recognize the fact that reel skin (or similar) has its advantages. It is excellent for getting more consistency and getting to know your equipment. Practicing various sizes of needles for your line and shading work, different machines to see what works best for you, things like that. So don't discard it.
Other than that: just do it. :)
Thank you! :)

I was thinking the same thing not long after I made the post, it would be nice to just get hand motion down for stipling which is what reminded me of the skins, and all the reasons you brought up as well of course! It was wishful thinking i guess

Its an odd feeling when you're at this stage of learning a thing like tattooing when you feel like you know enough to do something and you're all like, "I got this!" and then you stick that needle in your skin and battle that ink there through the whole piece. .. okaay maybe I need to learn about a couple more things :)

like my grandma always said.. shit or get off the pot!

Indica

Premium
First Name
indica
Welcome,
nice introduction. Let's see how the first tries went!

Peace,

DKJ
I'm just waiting for payday next week so I can get me one them upgrades to allow me the ability to do so :)

Peace

Remove Ads

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
Thank you! :)

I was thinking the same thing not long after I made the post, it would be nice to just get hand motion down for stipling which is what reminded me of the skins, and all the reasons you brought up as well of course! It was wishful thinking i guess

Its an odd feeling when you're at this stage of learning a thing like tattooing when you feel like you know enough to do something and you're all like, "I got this!" and then you stick that needle in your skin and battle that ink there through the whole piece. .. okaay maybe I need to learn about a couple more things :)

like my grandma always said.. shit or get off the pot!
Love your grandma, there's a woman that understands life ! ❤️
btw, I'm 61 and never stop learning. My mother is 98 and just yesterday learned she should not fall off a chair!

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
I'm just waiting for payday next week so I can get me one them upgrades to allow me the ability to do so :)

Peace
You can post pictures, just look for some external image service like google docs, photos or imgur whatever.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.