P ANYONE cleaning/steriizing.

steveo44

Premium
Right this might sound bad,but at the moment with spending so much on the other gear.Guns power supply ect.At this time i use pig skin and only do a few bits on my self.Right the proplem is i havent got an autoclave.I have a ultrasonic cleaner,then i usally steam them in a steamer for 15mins and it is a hot steamer.Is this ok till i can afford a autoclave.Will this sterilize the tips,grips,and grip tupes.If not is there a better way untill i purchase an autoclave.cheers steve.:eek:

Davey

The boss
Admin
First Name
Davey
I would never say it is safe to tattoo yourself without autoclaving, especially after using the same items on pig beforehand.

A cheap autoclave, which looks to me like a gloryfied pressure cooker from Ebay is around *£100 or cheaper.

BUT, this is entirely your choice if different tips are used between yourself and the pig! It wouldn't cause too much concern to me, but to others it may.

steveo44

Premium
Cheers dave will a steam sterilizer be ok just for me at this time as and not tattooing other people yet anyway till im ready.I will have a look on e-bay for 1.But funds a bit low at mo.Thanks for replying mate.:D

Davey

The boss
Admin
First Name
Davey
A steam sterilizer is fine.
Although the standard is usually:
An autoclave must maintain a temperature of at least 246 degrees for 30 minutes in order to fully sterilize the equipment.

I know its hard to determine this with a regular steamer, but you should be fine.

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
Right this might sound bad,but at the moment with spending so much on the other gear.Guns power supply ect.At this time i use pig skin and only do a few bits on my self.Right the proplem is i havent got an autoclave.I have a ultrasonic cleaner,then i usally steam them in a steamer for 15mins and it is a hot steamer.Is this ok till i can afford a autoclave.Will this sterilize the tips,grips,and grip tupes.If not is there a better way untill i purchase an autoclave.cheers steve.:eek:
if you really cant afford a clave but have a steamer ok its a far way away from ideal but as an extra precuation get some autoclave pouches with indicators on that change colour when ideal steriliation conditions have been achived give yourself that extra peice of mind :cool:

Jared

Premium
First Name
Jared
Why don't you just use disposable tubes and needles?

MrSpoon

Premium
First Name
Darren
after reading alot of info on the net it seems them autoclave bags with indiactors on aren't 100% accurate anyway, why you would want to run the risk of infecting someone is beyond me so it seems theres only 2 viable options

1, NEW autoclave, not some old thing that doesn't reach the right temp with worn out seals etc

2, disposeables! needles, tips and grips and cleaning your machine with 70% isopropynol 30% water etc

really dont think theres enough informtation about bloodborne pathegens and cross contamination etc :angry: well there is, but alot of people ignore it :cry:

that said above... i've also read that a pressure cooker with 15lbs of pressure for 30 minutes will achieve the same results as an autoclave :cool:

but... displosable tips and grips weigh sod all and are cheap as chips anyway, if i wasnt health registered (which you legally have to be to tattoo anyone) then id go the disposable route

In order to be health registered and legit you still have to have a fully functional autoclave which will involve regular sample testing to ensure its sterisilsing properly, even if you just use disposable everything

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
Hi Darren

The course I attended last Dec only used disposables they dont have an autoclave.
Prior to his the guys that work there had all used autoclaves in their previous studios, but due to the cost and the hassle of having them regulary tested and repaired etc they decided disposables were the best option. Apparently you soon get used to using them especially if you use the better quality plastics. Their local health authority have no problem with this, and likewise nor do mine here in North Somerset. I have heared on this site that even if you use disposable grips, tips etc that some authorities still require you to have an autoclve? This makes no sense at all as it will never get used. I think some authorities are not aware that disposables are available and are still using outdated guidelines. Down here the complete disposable blister pack is popular with the local regs, because the tip, grip and stem are all one piece and the needle is already inserted into the tube. This produces less packaging waste and less risk of injuring yourself when you insert the needle into the tube, also there is no danger of damaging the neele point. It seems (at least here in the south west) that anything environmetally friendly gets the thumbs up, even if it is a load of b******s.

MrSpoon

Premium
First Name
Darren
aye that sounds about right, i vaguely remember reading it on a forum from someone who was trying to be setup legit and was having problems due to not having an autpclave etc. tis daft how the people who are monitoring the trade and calling the shots aren't all as clued up as they should be :1