Approaches to original work

jasonmnash043

Premium
First Name
JASON
Hi

So I’m a beginner and in to a lot of traditional tattoos - particularly like Paul Dobleman’s work.

question I have is what are peoples approach to designing original tattoos? Do you use real life references? copy parts of one tattoo and parts of another? Design from memory?

im keen to develop my own original portfolio so would appreciate hearing what people do.

thanks in advance.

Remove Ads

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
Nothing original about Paul Doblemans work, his influence is obviously from tattoo legend Bert Grimm and all the SPEED skulls are Berts designs, Bert was tattooing from about 1920, check him out.
I love tattooing traditional designs, I find old designs and redraw them to improve them with different line weights, more than 5 basic colours, modernise flowers etc as some older flash was very basic, crude with no detail and colour pallet

jasonmnash043

Premium
First Name
JASON
Great thank you I’ll definitely check him out.

Perhaps a stupid question but assume there are no copyright issues if they closely resemble the original?

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
Great thank you I’ll definitely check him out.

Perhaps a stupid question but assume there are no copyright issues if they closely resemble the original?
No, flash was offered commercially for sale free to use by anyone, tattooists sold their flash to other artists or drew them for supply houses to mass produce and sell so available to anyone.