Art Contest

schwartzy

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Rachel
Here's an idea that I have shamelessly lifted from another (not so friendly!) forum. Every week someone sets a theme (old school, Japanese, lettering, etc.) and people post their art work on this theme. Anyone can vote on which is the best one and the winner gets to choose the next week's theme. It is a good way of seeing how other peoples' work and styles compare and to give and receive useful feedback on what works and what could be improved. Anyone interested?

Remove Ads

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
I think it's a good idea, they did a thing on her when i first started but that was more tattoo practise, some one would pick a theme and then we would do a tattoo on practise skin or piggy but it didn't really take off, I think with there being more members now, it could work.

regards
Tony

Lucy Locket

Admin
First Name
Lucy
Good idea Rachel. I would suggest it to be a tattoo flash type image, rather than just a sketch etc. Something that can be saved by others.
I can set up a section just for contests, etc if you want, and yes Tony, the practice or piggy themed compo, may work better, now we have hundreds more members.

I will have a shuffle around, and write a few rules etc. If anyone has better ideas for rules regarding the entries and votes, then please feel free to post your thoughts. I like the site to be run more by its members, as you will probably have seen, i keep out of the way and deal with the bullshit that comes to my email from "you know who's" :icon_cheesygrin:

Should the contests be weekly or fortnightly and should it be in the locked Premium area or open to all??
I will try to formulate a script to take care of it.

schwartzy

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Rachel
Sounds good. how about having to design a flash image and then translate it onto piggy/ practice skin? That might be a good exercise. Weekly would probably be good to keep the momentum going but fortnightly could be better for people with not so much free time because of work commitments etc. Any thoughts on this anyone?

khosmy

Premium
Media
First Name
Edgar Valerio
Should the contests be weekly or fortnightly and should it be a Premium area or open to all??
Weekly would probably work better, and i think 2 contests would be better as well, one just for flash drawings, and another for piggy, and people would participate in the one they want.
If it is a contest of course it should be free for all... people pay because of the manual don't see why they should pay for a right to participate in a contest.

Deziner

The Bitch!
Premium
First Name
Claire
Great idea! I too think flash drawing and tattoo practice should be kept seperate.
Leave it open to everyone i say, but i joined the site as a premium member, not only for the manual, but the hidden areas and as a gesture/donation.
Eagerly awaiting the opening of this feature. :eek:

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
Week one, design flash and vote on the winner, week two, tattoo either piggy or skin so something for everyone.

Fozz

Premium
Media
First Name
Michael
As you know, I like this idea...... You could do it where the winning flash from the art contest is the flash that has to be used on the first piggy/plastic contest, and keep working it like that (if that makes any sense)......

Could get quite a collection of forum-exclusive flash by the end of it too......

flashhighland

Premium
Media
First Name
Steve
Sounds good. how about having to design a flash image and then translate it onto piggy/ practice skin? That might be a good exercise. Weekly would probably be good to keep the momentum going but fortnightly could be better for people with not so much free time because of work commitments etc. Any thoughts on this anyone?
I LOVE this idea! I struggle to get inspiration for designs without a theme so I'd really enjoy this. Definitely done on pig or practice skins, we are learning to tattoo after all. I reckon it should be weekly, if someone can't manage it one week there will always be one the week after. I also think it would be great to encourage posts of tattoo work as they seem to be few and far between to say how many members this place has.
Great idea, count me in!

khosmy

Premium
Media
First Name
Edgar Valerio
As you know, I like this idea...... You could do it where the winning flash from the art contest is the flash that has to be used on the first piggy/plastic contest, and keep working it like that (if that makes any sense)......

Could get quite a collection of forum-exclusive flash by the end of it too......
Loved this one, flash contest, winning flash would be next weeks piggy contest design. :icon_biggrin:

flashhighland

Premium
Media
First Name
Steve
Oooo!! The new forum links are already up for this. Cool! :icon_biggrin:
When does it all start, and who's coming up with the first challenge?

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
These things have been tried before,so lets hope it works this time around...when are we starting ???

Lucy Locket

Admin
First Name
Lucy
I will try and get this up and running in the next couple of days. Im busy busy busy at the min. :icon_confused:

Lucy Locket

Admin
First Name
Lucy
Just been writing a few rules regarding these weekly competitions.
What do you think?
I also think that whatever design wins the week befores flash comp, will then roll over to the week after and have to be tattooed on fake or pig skin.
basically, one week flash, week after tattoo. All agreed?

Firstly the pig/fake skin comp:

Weekly pig/fake skin competition guidelines.

• Only one entry per week per user. (More than one picture of same image is acceptable.
  • Entries entered in previous weeks will not be accepted.
  • Photos should be as close up as possible to see detail.
  • What needles and inks used is essential in the description, along with the time spent.
  • Please clean the skin as good as possible before taking pictures.
  • All weekly entries will be submitted before midnight every Friday night. Entries added after this time will not be counted.
Please do not post in this thread unless you are adding your entry. This is not a normal discussion thread, so until i can figure out a format, place your entry here and thats all. I will then add a poll to the thread, after the closing time and we will all get one vote only for the winner.

Secondly the Flash comp:

Weekly tattoo flash drawing competition guidelines.

• Only one entry per week per user.
  • All flash designs should be good enough to be tattooed onto skin (no sketches).
  • Entries entered in previous weeks will not be accepted.
  • Only original artwork created by you. No stealing or photoshop etc.
  • Create your flash with anything you want. pencil, paints, etc.
  • All weekly entries will be submitted before midnight every Friday night. Entries added after this time will not be counted.
Please do not post in this thread unless you are adding your entry. This is not a normal discussion thread, so until i can figure out a format, place your entry here and thats all. I will then add a poll to the thread, after the closing time and we will all get one vote only for the winner.

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
Agreed. All looks good to me. :icon_arrowu:

One thing thats not been said yet though. Who decides the design for the week after? My suggestion is at the bottom of our "entry", we add something like.
"Next week would be ...........".

Ah, but what if i dont like next weeks idea? Does that mean you wouldn't get my vote? :icon_wink:

khosmy

Premium
Media
First Name
Edgar Valerio
I would say, that besides the poll for each weeks winner, there should be a second poll for next weeks design idea.

Fozz

Premium
Media
First Name
Michael
I thought the winner decides what the next design will be......

By the way, who's starting this up?? I reckon Schwarzy, seeing as she came up with it.....

khosmy

Premium
Media
First Name
Edgar Valerio
Yes, but people need a topic for the flash contest, thats what i am talking about, each week the flash contest should obviusly have a diferent theme, and that could surelly be a poll, than the winner of the flash contest would be the design for the pig/skin contest next week.

Sorry i didn't explain it better.

Fozz

Premium
Media
First Name
Michael
I mean like someone would start and say, for example; traditional/old school theme..... The winner of that one would choose, say, a Japanese theme. Whoever won the Japanese could decide the next theme, and so on, and so forth......

I also think it's better for bringing people out of their comfort zones when the choice is made for them, which all adds to the challenge. If there was a poll, everyone would just choose their easiest option.....

And then the winning flash of each theme would become theflash used for that week's piggy/plastic contest......

Not sure if that makes any sense......

khosmy

Premium
Media
First Name
Edgar Valerio
Still, only the most voted would win anyway, and there could simply be a rule for, themes that were done before, couldn't be done again for a certain period of time. I believe that the fact that the flash winner will be the design for the pig/skin is already something, don't see why would also be choosing everything else, besides, the person that wins in one week, would easily pick a theme he is more comfortable with for the next contest and that would be easily his comfort zone, especially with no one else being able to chose something else since it would arbitrarily be his decision, so a poll would easily be more democratic.

Personally, i am in favour of a poll for the flash thematic.

Megzilla

Basic
First Name
David
Love the concept of this. I'm super busy over the next couple of weeks, but will try and get some artwork entered.

graeme

Premium
Media
First Name
Graeme McKay
Love this idea. I'm also really busy but really want to get involved.
It also has the bonus of seeing some original work.
Good luck everyone. :thumbsup:

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
Sometimes it can be hard to think what should i draw, just as practise to improve my art skills, this is great, even if it is in an area that i would normally stay away from now i have got to do it, or not enter, I am starting private art lessons soon, somewhere around Christmas and so by then i should have a decent size portfolio to present and it will show the teacher areas that I need to improve on and also my good areas, it couldn't of come at a better time for me.

schwartzy

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Rachel
Just got back on the internet after nearly a week off line (in the deepest Bulgarian coiuntryside...). Glad to see the competition is up and running. Luckily I've bought my sketch pad so that will keep me occupied on the 3 hour flight back to Gatwick tomorrow!

Lucy Locket

Admin
First Name
Lucy
I have just updated a rule for the contests area, which i'm sure you would agree will work fine.

Whilst the weeks contest is active, please do not post in this thread unless you are adding your entry.
Once the weeks contest is at the voting stage, you may then post as a normal discussion forum.