Australian newbie

Ari Ed

Premium
First Name
Ari
Hey all,

From Adelaide, south Australia. Looking to this site to advance my skills and techniques as while I landed an apprenticeship and registered as a tattoo artist, studio I'm in is not full of helpful people. Most learning I do is on my own so any advice/tips greatly received as the only thing worse than never being at tattoo artist is to turn out a bad one!

Remove Ads

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Hi Ari and welcome to the forum! So many who share your experience with an apprenticeship where they get no guidance. Must be really annoying. Go premium if you're serious about being here! Then you get access to the real forum here. Doesn't cost much at all and keeps this great forum alive 🙂👍🏼

Ari Ed

Premium
First Name
Ari
Hi Ari and welcome to the forum! So many who share your experience with an apprenticeship where they get no guidance. Must be really annoying. Go premium if you're serious about being here! Then you get access to the real forum here. Doesn't cost much at all and keeps this great forum alive 🙂👍🏼
It's definitely annoying, but here it's so hard to get any kind of apprenticeship at all I'm sticking it out til I can find something better. There's some really great artists in SA but there's sadly a whole bunch of bad ones/bad attitudes/etc...and I landed the last kind.

First tattoo I do that I actually get paid for is going towards premium so I can read that manual! 😊

Dazza

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Daryl
Hi Aru is it an apprenticeship where you have to pay them or do they pay you at all

Chopper20

Premium Gold
First Name
Andy
Hi Ari ✋🏻

If you don’t have many commitments then an apprenticeship is probably a good option but I don’t think it’s the holy grail. Plenty of great artists are self taught and this forum + YouTube has some really good content.

The local council where I live seems to give out licenses to anyone so there’s a ton of shops, and a handful of them are what I’d consider pros. So an apprenticeship in a shitty shop will just teach you to be as bad as your mentor and not be as good as learning from pros online in my opinion.

Although there’s a couple of shops I’d love to apprentice in...but I’ll be joining the back of a long queue!

I’ve learned a lot from here. Like MalligaMallan says, going premium is well worth it!

Ari Ed

Premium
First Name
Ari
Hi Ari ✋🏻

If you don’t have many commitments then an apprenticeship is probably a good option but I don’t think it’s the holy grail. Plenty of great artists are self taught and this forum + YouTube has some really good content.

The local council where I live seems to give out licenses to anyone so there’s a ton of shops, and a handful of them are what I’d consider pros. So an apprenticeship in a shitty shop will just teach you to be as bad as your mentor and not be as good as learning from pros online in my opinion.

Although there’s a couple of shops I’d love to apprentice in...but I’ll be joining the back of a long queue!

I’ve learned a lot from here. Like MalligaMallan says, going premium is well worth it!
Very true, I guess upside is that I'm spending a fair bit of time learning by myself and for now it gives me a step in the door so that later hopefully I can apprentice somewhere better. Can't really learn their bad habits since they don't seem to want to teach me at all.. I don't know what it is but they seem to act like if they teach me I'll be competition or something. Answering a question is kinda like I'm asking for their first born lol

Chopper20

Premium Gold
First Name
Andy
Very true, I guess upside is that I'm spending a fair bit of time learning by myself and for now it gives me a step in the door so that later hopefully I can apprentice somewhere better. Can't really learn their bad habits since they don't seem to want to teach me at all.. I don't know what it is but they seem to act like if they teach me I'll be competition or something. Answering a question is kinda like I'm asking for their first born lol
Haha yes I kind of felt the same in the shop I was in. I guess you’ve got the best of both worlds - exposure to lots of clients/walk ins etc, seeing how the shop runs and how the other artists talk to clients. Plus learning online to fill in the gaps.

Frustrating that they won’t teach you but if you’re using it as a stepping stone into a decent shop later I suppose you can’t just keep your head down, learn what you can then jump! 😁