Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

BEGINNER EQUIPMENT AND OTHER STUFF!!

First Name
Elisha
PLEASE NO JUDGEMENT, I LITERALLY KNOW NOTHING! HENCE WHY I'M HERE:giggle:
Hey everybody, (This is my first post so I hope this gets somewhere)

A BIT OF BACKGROUND:
At the moment I have a mentor, someone who will teach me the techniques and trade etc, however this is usually done in the evenings when I have requested to meet up with her. She's very busy and always fully booked therefore this was the best solution for us (no judgement). She's more than confident with my artistic abilities and wants me to start practicing and learning hygiene, set ups and how the industry works right away.

She gave me some "homework" (how ironic, I thought I left school and would never hear that word again). The homework was to go and buy myself some equipment that I'll need to start. Whilst I was getting tattooed by her (so glad I got my sternum and chest out of the way o_O) the stuff she told me to buy off the top of my head was:
-A rotary machine
-Power supply (she told me to invest in a decent one)
-Cartridges
-Stencil papers and other stencil bits
-Fake skin or pig skin
-Ink
-PPE and other things for a good set-up.
So... My main questions are;
I want to buy a semi decent rotary machine that will get me started, do cartridges just fit into any old machine? and I need to make sure that isn't going to set fire to my bank, any recommendations? :ROFLMAO:

What "decent" power supplies are there out there that will do for a beginner?

And are there any particular stencil bits that I'll need for now?

Remove Ads Close

Dazza

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Daryl
Hi Elisha what sort of budget do you have ? Also sign up for a premium member ship as the natives are more friendly in that section

Last edited:

Dazza

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Daryl
Decent power supply,I wold recommend a critical,look at the range and see which u can afford,also a decent mid price machine ,Cheyenne Thunder,don’t buy the Cheyenne grip though it’s too expensive,you can get ego disposable grips or EZ do an excellent copy of the Cheyenne grip for a fraction of the real one ,all cartridges are a standard size and fit 99% of grips and as far as stencil bits ,get some spirt stencil paper and some Electrum stencil solution, Barber dts should supply most bits that you need

First Name
Elisha
Decent power supply,I wold recommend a critical,look at the range and see which u can afford,also a decent mid price machine ,Cheyenne Thunder,don’t buy the Cheyenne grip though it’s too expensive,you can get ego disposable grips or EZ do an excellent copy of the Cheyenne grip for a fraction of the real one ,all cartridges are a standard size and fit 99% of grips and as far as stencil bits ,get some spirt stencil paper and some Electrum stencil solution, Barber dts should supply most bits that you need
Thanks, I think I will invest in the premium membership.
Ok, so my budget isn't huge but I can hustle enough money to get anything I need :)
I'm buying the Critical Atom (Black) for a power supply... will this be ok?

And thanks for the machine info, made my life one bit easier :p

marked 4 life

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Andy
marked 4 life had the Critical Atom. If I remember correctly there was something about it he wasn't happy with.
We have 2 critical atom x in our shop and a chinese copy of the atom x for the trainee, mine still works but my daughters failed quite early on and killer ink messed us about terrible, it was farcical, we never found out what killer ink did with it, after nearly 4 months and dozens of emails, phone calls i contacted critical USA, even though it was not there problem they replaced it free of charge, we were without for 5 months in total, warranty means absolutely nothing with suppliers, read the small print, they send the item off to europe to have the it checked, it does state this in the small print, when my supply eventually fails, i will not be spending over £230 on a replacement, i will either go back to my old school lab power supply or buy a chinese copy of the atom x for £39

Chopper20

Donator +++ 
Premium
First Name
Andy
Hi this is what I’ve ended up with for my set up:

Power supply: Critical cx1
Machine: Spektra edge x rotary
Cartridges: Holy Grail or Killer Ink
(With Disposable cartridge grips)
Ink: Dynamic Black
Stencil Solition: Stencil Stuff
Fake Skin: Reel Skin sheets (A5)

If you’re starting out it’s probably worth getting a box of 5rl, 9rl and 15cm carts? I think that’s a good starting point. What do more experienced people think?

MalligaMallan

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
Hi this is what I’ve ended up with for my set up:

Power supply: Critical cx1
Machine: Spektra edge x rotary
Cartridges: Holy Grail or Killer Ink
(With Disposable cartridge grips)
Ink: Dynamic Black
Stencil Solition: Stencil Stuff
Fake Skin: Reel Skin sheets (A5)

If you’re starting out it’s probably worth getting a box of 5rl, 9rl and 15cm carts? I think that’s a good starting point. What do more experienced people think?
I've had a critical cxi-g2 and was happy with it.
As for machine I would go for your advice. The rest of your suggestions sounds fine to me as well, needle sizes is not my department as I use so different needle sizes compared to everyone else.

Killer ink carts work fine.

Chopper20

Donator +++ 
Premium
First Name
Andy
I've had a critical cxi-g2 and was happy with it.
As for machine I would go for your advice. The rest of your suggestions sounds fine to me as well, needle sizes is not my department as I use so different needle sizes compared to everyone else.

Killer ink carts work fine.
The Critical power supply has been brilliant compared to the dragon hawk one I started with. I like the magnetic stand and the liner/shader settings. It’s also really easy just to slip a bag over it.