Premium
23 Oct 2017
Media
France
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Hi all,
Being an advanced beginner (around 20 tatoos done), i thought i might give you some motivation to push through some walls which have been paving my way to this day.

THIS IS NOT WORKING

This tattoing stuff takes a lot of time to master. Even if you can draw anything on paper, the skin application is not a granted win.
Everything gets in your way with their particular problems, the machine is not working, the needles are not going in the skin, the skin is bumpy, the ink is too thick, the stencil is going away, your hands are shaking, the light is insufficent, etc...

Well.
Why wouldn't you let yourself a little room for learning everything, step by step?

DON'T SET YOURSELF IMPOSSIBLE GOALS
A noob, by definition, knows nothing at all. Be fine with that, we've all been there.

Go easy, start with fundamentals, go for lining on fake skin.
Little designs, few lines, 30 mins sessions.
You'll see where are your strentghts and issues.
There are no weakness, only issues you'll erase by some more work.
Don't create those first designs. Grab some great simple tattoos on the internets and redo them.
I'm sure everyone can do them.
First win, first step into building a good self confidence: make the whole thing easy and simple first.

DON'T ADD ADDITIONNAL TRAUMA
Are some people better than you? Yes.
Why care? Wouldn't it be a benefit to ask them some tips, and apply them?
Go the soft way, compare your works to what you did before.
Each session should be a challenge against the issues you had previously.
Let those challenges become habits along the way, accumulate all the skills from your experience.
And if you think you need more experience, tattoo more!

THIS IS STILL NOT WORKING
Nice speech, but some tips are not working.
You still have those ink drops from the tube, those greyish lines, those shitty angles... Damn' this!
Ok, but some peeps don't get those. This is proof it can be done. So, why you? Why after you tried all the tips in the world?
Well... Sometimes you suddendly realize what you were doing wrong. You adjust this move or this setting and Shazam! End of the problem.
I had some difficulties which have gone away, and i couldn't tell you why.
Maybe my hands or brains corrected them along the way.
Maybe i did some adjustements over another issue and it fixed both.
Trust your experience, the hours and the commitment will pay off, i guarantee.

I say commitment because not everything is muscle-memory related.
You will get to know your tools better and better. Sometimes a radical change in the way you hold the machine will become a total mind openner over so many things you were chasing for months.
Reading peeps posts over here, connecting dots, watching vids, this can make you gain months of trial and errors.

DANGEROUS, REALLY?
It seems a lot of people are afraid of tattoing real skin, because they feel they're gonna butcher their client's skin into a garbage ink blob.
Let's be honest, guys.
If you were to tattoo someone a little, easy design you already did perfectly on fake skin, do you really think it'll end like that?
You know how to do it. You will stress over it and enjoy some issues, but let's be realistic. If it's simple and beautiful, the worse it could end will be 'okay'.

So, to summarize:
- go easy on yourself to build your self-confidence
- keep it simple and step-by-step, it's more rejoicing,
- time spent and commitment will level you up,
- share your questions and try the tips you asked for,
- don't trip, stay realistic.

And i'm sure many high-level beginners will add more thoughts on how to keep on flowing!

Peace,

DKJ

Cyberthrasher

Premium
23 Sep 2019
US
First Name
Allen
I agree with all of it. Progress gradually so you have more wins and only struggle with a couple of things at a time.
Start small, line only, then black only, then some shading, then start with color, etc... You're learning, not trying to prove how good you are from the start.

I'm really good at doing "Okay" :)

Remove Ads

DKJ

Premium
23 Oct 2017
Media
France
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
The more i tattoo, the more i believe that any of them, when you saw the design and thought "i can do this", will end well.

If you're going places you don't wanna be, you're hurting yourself.
The challenge, to me, must be yourself validating it's going to be a great tattoo for you to do, no matter the difficulty. It shows in the end.
We can manage difficult ones by planning them, and the will of making it as good looking as the reference. Like, no surprise it's gonna cost me some sweat here and there, i need to focus on that area, i should start here, i'll try to grab this whole part before the end of 1st session, etc...

Cause if we're starting from some "shit i don't like long straight lines and never did any shading", it's an olympic dive into tattooer-repellent bath.

Peace,

DKJ

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.