December drawing contest now active! Here

Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Best rotary machine for apprentice/beginner?

WhiskeyWolf

Basic
First Name
Maz
I'm wanting to buy a rotary machine before I get an apprenticeship to practice on fake skin and fruit. I'd rather pay more for a really good machine and practice with it rather than buy a cheap one and learn the wrong things from it, so I'm wondering which machine is best to buy. I'm mostly interested in doing black and grey and neotraditional style at the moment.

So far I like the look of the bishop v6 or the Cheyenne spirit. Are these good machines? Does anyone have any better recommendations on where to start?

Morrissey

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
John
I have the cheyenne spirit and thunder , and various other machines ,,, the thunder is the one that I use more than any other , can't go wrong with it ,,, just remember you need a start up cord with it or a Special power supply (cheyenne own one )....

DKJ

Premium
First Name
Mathieu
Hi WW,

I'll be going for a Neotat Vivace, but for practicing i bought a dragonhawk for a few bucks.

Here's my pov: getting to learn on "poorer" equipment will allow you to get better as a starter.
See, like djing with vinyl, if you start with shitty turntables, you'll learn the hard way. A shitty tool puts you in problems so you'll have to find solutions to evolve.
And when you'll buy this greater tool, you will immediatly pass to a higher level.
I like to think that starting with restrictions makes you work a lot more on problem solving. And that's a super important quality to have as a tattoer.

You don't have to buy high end equipment to learn something.

Just my pov, do as you feel.
Tools are only tools. If you're a star with a shitty tattoo machine, you'll be the next superstar with a super machine.
So, i'll advice a shitty machine for Fake skin, then when you'll be ready to tattoo your first real skin, buy this good rotary.

Peace,

DKJ

Dazza

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Daryl
I’m with John ,the Cheyenne thunder is an awesome machine ,will be good for a beginner and good for a master ,I believe it comes with the start up cord so you will be able to run it with other power supplies,I use a critical supply with mine ,also they recommend you only use Cheyenne cartridges or you void the warranty,so just make sure you use cartridges that have a full membrane,you also don’t need the Cheyenne grip as you can buy disposable or you can get a excellent copy of their grip from EZ ,just ask if you need more info

First Name
Elisha
The Cheyenne spirit is a good machine! I managed to have a quick go of the guy that was teaching me. Loved it so much!!
I'm actually guilty of using the EZ Pen, it's insane. Love it so much, highly recommend giving it a go because it's really easy to practice with.
The EZ Rambo pen is great too if you're on a smaller budget:)