Bishop Fantom

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
You may all think I'm crazy - but I'm about to order a Bishop Fantom. There's been a looot of pros and cons, but today I asked Niki Norberg - who is sort of my role model in tattooing :giggle: - and I got this answer:

Hi Malin! I know that Bishop had problems with a transmission of engines. Obviously, if the engine turns off after a short period of time, they will fix it free of charge. Bishop's strong side has always been to solve problems even after the end of the warranty period.
Magi is still among the best I've used. Nowadays, I use Fantasy from Bishop, which is equivalent to magic but with slightly less vibration. The engine in it has the own manufacturing of.
Magi has so much nicer design, but the phantom is easier to bag. Mvh / Niki

This is good enough for me. I'm aware that in taking a risk though.

My question now is - Bishop recommend running it at 8-10v. That sounds pretty high to me who run my halo2 at 5-7v, 8v at the most. Even if I know you can't compare volts on different machines I'm wondering if higher volts requires greater skill? Or am I thinking wrong?

Jerry7297

Premium Gold
First Name
Jerry
Fantoms look great to me. LIGHT and small. I do not think skill is going to be a problem for you. Just cause it says recommended volts doesnt mean you cant start slower and find what works for you. Bishop makes quality stuff. I love their carts.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Fantoms look great to me. LIGHT and small. I do not think skill is going to be a problem for you. Just cause it says recommended volts doesnt mean you cant start slower and find what works for you. Bishop makes quality stuff. I love their carts.

Yeah?! Their carts - are you talking about the Da Vinci carts then? And good about volts (y)

Jerry7297

Premium Gold
First Name
Jerry
Yes I think they changed the name of the carts... Look at this link and you can see the old boxes (Fantom ) on the link to the carts.

NEEDLES

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Yes I think they changed the name of the carts... Look at this link and you can see the old boxes (Fantom ) on the link to the carts.

NEEDLES
Out of curiosity - how can you have a link where the old boxes show? Because when I search Da Vinci cartridges in your link i get no hit. When i search fantom cartridges on another link to bishoptattoosupply I get no hit :D

Anyway - I actually ordered Da Vinci cartridges today! I saw Niki showing a video on ig with his latest purchase to the studio, and all their cartridges were da vinci carts so I thought I'd give them a try. Good to hear you're happy with them! (y)

Jerry7297

Premium Gold
First Name
Jerry
Out of curiosity - how can you have a link where the old boxes show? Because when I search Da Vinci cartridges in your link i get no hit. When i search fantom cartridges on another link to bishoptattoosupply I get no hit :D

Anyway - I actually ordered Da Vinci cartridges today! I saw Niki showing a video on ig with his latest purchase to the studio, and all their cartridges were da vinci carts so I thought I'd give them a try. Good to hear you're happy with them! (y)
Huh, when I click on that link the image above where it says "Cartridge Needles" has the old Fantom box still. Not sure why it would not show when you look at it.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Huh, when I click on that link the image above where it says "Cartridge Needles" has the old Fantom box still. Not sure why it would not show when you look at it.

Because the link goes to the bishop tattoo supply site and the photos should change in the link if they change them on the site I figure. And these old photos of cartridges that seem not to be for sale anymore, as you can't find them or even search for them on their site, I figure would be deleted.
But that's just what I figure :D Don't know if that's how it works.

Goldwingdaz

Premium Plus
First Name
Daz
Its just lack of site updates and maintenance. I guess they dont think the picture matters, or alternatively they are saying "They are still your old favourites, just a different name, look at the picture." ;)

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Maybe not the best video in the world but I was soooo eager to show you! I think I'm going to love this machine to pieces :love:
The first half-hour with it my impressions are:

- NO adjusting! Two plunger bars of different length comes with the machine, you attach the one that fits your grips and then you're ready to go.

- A perfect balance in hand

- Feels like I imagine a pen would feel - but hopefully without the problems I suspect pens have.

- Very steady - NO oscillation which means needles are exactly where I expect it to be when putting them down in skin

- It seems to HIT. You don't have to go over the skin three times first (exaggerating a bit yes). I imagine this also means great responsibility not to chew skin up or at least not cause blow outs.

20180221_180929.jpg

LOOK at rca cable that came with ordering the Fantom from Barbers! :love::love::love: LOVE IT. And SUCH a tight fit.

That's all I can tell so far.

Dazza

Premium Gold
First Name
Daryl
Sounds quite noise ,how does it compare in noise level to your halos

Dazza

Premium Gold
First Name
Daryl
Did you have to pay the 20% vat ?

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Did you have to pay the 20% vat ?

I pay uk vat but not Swedish as they're both eu countries (for now). Vat was £85.

Sounds quite noise ,how does it compare in noise level to your halos

Noise is about the same as my halo. I don't find it extremely silent, nor extremely noisy.

As for vibrations when running it at 9v it's about the same vibrations as when trying my halo at 5v.

I wouldn't say noise and vibrations are extremely better than on other rotaries. And absolutely not worse either.

The best thing with machine is that needle is STEADY when running. You can't even see needles move even at like 9v. The only machine that passed that test before was my RW mk2 Springer.

I'm REALLY happy with this machine.

And bagging is EEEEEASY. It's like a pen but with a little bump which is the motor :) And my belief is that this will have less problems than many pens seem to have. Provided motor will work!!! That's my worry.

Daisy

Premium Gold
First Name
Kiaran
thank you so much for the update on this - I have inks to save up for/ then my course but I am hoping with the next 6 months to save up for a proper machine and I have read lots of good stuff on the bishop fantom. I wish I could have a shot!!! :)

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
I'll keep you posted about how I like when I've used for a couple of weeks or a month :) So far I only like it better and better! But as said - my worry is if motor will be a trouble or not.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Hey, it’s been awhile, do you have any updates on reliability?

It was a GREAT machine. Would recommend to anyone. Lovely for shading. My friend also bought one, she does only traditional = lot of fat lines, and works great for that too.

Very light and easy to bag to.

I bought an Inkmachines Scorpion since then though, and sold my Phantom, and all other machines I had. Not because Phantom wasn't good, but because the Scorpion is completely safe when it comes to cross contamination. It has its own carts with a solid shell= no need for membranes. And because Inkmachines is a Swedish company (they make Dragonfly and Stingray as well) = much easier and closer to contact them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.