Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Black On Top Of Color On Top Of Black?

WhippTatts

First Name
Brian
Hey I feel like a dick even asking this, but I'm curious if anyone would comment on how you approach mixing black shading and color?

Like if you were doing a rose that went red to black, would you do a full pass of red, then shade in the black? mix it all at once? do the black shading, then red over it?

Is there are right way and a wrong way to this?
Any comments on mixing color and shading with black?

dirtnail

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Pieter
you want to damage the skin as little as possible so I wouldn't pack in the color and then blast over it again with black.
on my pigskins I start with the black shading and then fill in the color up to the edge of the solid black.

Goldwingdaz

Donator  
Premium
First Name
Daz
Same here, I do all my blacks and shades first, then work the colours, if you want to gradient from the black to the colour then simple whip out the edge of the black shade and whip the colour onto that to achieve the gentle swap from one to the other, just the same as doing one colour gradient into another.. There is no right or wrong, but as Pieter says, you want minimal damage so better not to rework over solid packed colours or black if you can avoid it. Shading over solid black will take a lot, i know, i have just finished the fourth and final coating of red to cover over an old solid black (well aged thank god), the potential for damage is far greater than shade to shade whipping.(y)

First Name
Chris
Draw the piece out first on paper and work it with your pencils. As they said above me, blacks first. If you are going to use white to highlight anything, leave that area of the skin untouched so your whites are nice and bright. Make sure you clean out whatever needle you are using for white really good.

troub1edsou1z

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Tom
First become a premium member and this can go into more detail. You can do both ways. However it's best to get your blacks in first and establish your light source. Also depending on the size of the piece will determine for me how many sittings I'm going to do to reduce skin trauma...