Bloodlining...

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Some of you more experienced artists may have a good answer for this question and if you do I certainly hope you chime in.
Ive given some thought about bloodlining lately in the respect that since you are only using distilled water and its blood coming to the surface that in a few days completely dissapepears how acceptable this might be to use in practice?
we practice on everything from pig skins to fake rubber but nothing compares to the real McCoy, if this were acceptable the aspiring artist gets a full experience of setting up, applying a stencil, and tattooing without the risk of messing someone up permanantly....to me this would invaluable. Im curious though as to everyone elses thoughts on it? would it be a good Idea? If Its not a good idea please let me know, but have a reason behind it because i seriously cant figure out what the harm would be in doing it????

cheers..

Remove Ads

X DEBS X

Basic
First Name
Debbie
Hi, im by no means an experienced tattoo artist so feel free to ignore me.:icon_mrgreen:

I think it might be a good idea to do it on yourself, i cant understand why someone else would want to sit under a fair amount of pain for no results at the end of it tho.
The only thing with bloodlining compared to doing it real though is, your not really finding out if your lines are wobbly, you cant see if the ink is going in and the line is consistant and you cannot tell if you may have caused blowouts etc....

Like you said it is practice for the setup process and getting a feel for your machine but thats about it i think.

:icon_smile:

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Hi, im by no means an experienced tattoo artist so feel free to ignore me.:icon_mrgreen:

I think it might be a good idea to do it on yourself, i cant understand why someone else would want to sit under a fair amount of pain for no results at the end of it tho.
The only thing with bloodlining compared to doing it real though is, your not really finding out if your lines are wobbly, you cant see if the ink is going in and the line is consistant and you cannot tell if you may have caused blowouts etc....

Like you said it is practice for the setup process and getting a feel for your machine but thats about it i think.

:icon_smile:

Hi Debs..Nah, not ignoring anybody with feedback!! I agree with you on the point of it being alot of pain for nothing. I would likely do it to myself just to work lines. I think you might see some wobble after the blood dried and the line was visible? I dont really know though...
anyway, appreciate the feedback on it!!!!

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
Hi Mike

I have only been tattooing for about a year and only on real skin for the last 8 months. During this time I have bloodlined a few tattoos but only when I dont want to have a bolds visable line around the tattoo once it's healed. The blood line replacing a normal ink line so that I have a boundry to work to, but doesn't show after it's healed. I only normally do this for realism tattoos especially when the stencil starts to disappear. The other time I use bloodline is when somebody wants to find out what it feels like before having their first tattoo, if they really can't stand the pain then at least they haven't got a bit of ink in them "or worse a half finished tattoo". I should say that in my experience nobody has ever decided not to have a one afer having a blood line. You can also do a line that will hardly show if you dilute black down like you would for black & grey colour wash. If you get chance watch Corey Miller on LA ink he does this quite often.
Hope this is usefull.

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
Hi Mike

I have only been tattooing for about a year and only on real skin for the last 8 months. During this time I have bloodlined a few tattoos but only when I dont want to have a bolds visable line around the tattoo once it's healed. The blood line replacing a normal ink line so that I have a boundry to work to, but doesn't show after it's healed. I only normally do this for realism tattoos especially when the stencil starts to disappear. The other time I use bloodline is when somebody wants to find out what it feels like before having their first tattoo, if they really can't stand the pain then at least they haven't got a bit of ink in them "or worse a half finished tattoo". I should say that in my experience nobody has ever decided not to have a one afer having a blood line. You can also do a line that will hardly show if you dilute black down like you would for black & grey colour wash. If you get chance watch Corey Miller on LA ink he does this quite often.
Hope this is usefull.

yea thats pritty much the logic behind blood lineing is to "act" as a stencil pritty much,as for doing a tattoo with just diss water or whitchazel.... this isnt going to help or be of any good practice,because.... diff tattoos require different technuices, so like shading work theres all all sorts of styles(feel) to shade work, some by building tones up progresivly for example;- laying in shade for a cheeck bone on a portrait, thats prity light in tone,this i would work the area from light to dark, building up another layer of light tone each time i pass over the work area, to achieve the tone i need rather than use a medium tone of grey wash then going to dark in the 1 pass :icon_eek: as you can appreciate what im saying some part need going over mutliple times, some parts dont, so if you use no "pigment", you will not be able to see if your achieving the effect you require, and wont know if you will end up overworking the skin if it was with pigment ,+ you wont be getting to "know" how your inks work ,and what the capabilitys are of it,how it blends, how it mixes,how it lays in the skin,how light is it when it heals,

im not saying its the right or wrong way of doing things but its what i do and some reasons "why" i think it not such a good idea as apossed to just saying something rude like on other forums ;) and giving no valid reasons i welcome and appreciate thoughts in ways to help yourself progress :icon_cool:

Chops

Premium
First Name
Steve
Hi,
When it comes to tattooing another person while starting out, messing up the design is just one of many things that can go wrong. You can still spread infection and diseases and can still scar someone with a blood line. My advice would be to make sure you're working clean, and have got needle depth and hand speed worked out before taking a needle to another person, ink or not. If you've already got those things down then yeah, blood lining isn't a bad idea! :icon_biggrin:

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
Hi,
When it comes to tattooing another person while starting out, messing up the design is just one of many things that can go wrong. You can still spread infection and diseases and can still scar someone with a blood line. My advice would be to make sure you're working clean, and have got needle depth and hand speed worked out before taking a needle to another person, ink or not. If you've already got those things down then yeah, blood lining isn't a bad idea! :icon_biggrin:
not sure i agree with this 1 dude from my own experience ill assume we all working "safe" and clean but still cant see any way in which bloodlineing for practice will help?????

Chops

Premium
First Name
Steve
not sure i agree with this 1 dude from my own experience ill assume we all working "safe" and clean but still cant see any way in which bloodlineing for practice will help?????
Me neither, the OP asked what he harm in doing it would be. My answer is if he has needle depth, hand speed and cleanliness worked out then the idea isn't bad, but I'm not sure how it would be beneficial either.