Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Bloody bugpins

Iceman87

Premium
First Name
Adam
Last night I attempted to tattoo a small design that I thought wasn't complex. It was only till I realised how small the design was, it became more difficult.

Anyway, I decided to use good old bugpins for the lining of the tattoo, which for the most part I have had limited experience of using. And after 30 mins, I honestly wanted to give up the dream of tattooing and walk away forever.

For some reason my lines were shaky, the ink wasn't taking as usual and I felt like I couldn't tell where my needles were. At the end I feel like I managed to salvage the tattoo, but jeeez it made me consider if I should be doing this.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Was I doing something wrong with the bugpins? Im contemplating to just using normal needles.

marked 4 life

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Andy
My advice is ... dont use bug pins for lining šŸ˜‚ they are very fine, I only use a traditional needle and tube set up and for small lines i use 10 gauge needles also known as 00, for really thin lines i use a 1005rl in a 1vt tube or a 1007rl in a 3vt tube, everything else i use 12 gauge needles.

Also if your tube was too big for your needles you may run out of ink quicker from experience.

balooka

Premium
First Name
Jay
Are you using regular needles or cartridges? I only have experience in cartridges so if you're using regular needles some or most of this might not apply to your situation. I've had the same problem and my issue was that my needle went allover the place. My lines looked like an ant trail. I switched to a regular 35 cartridge and it was all good again (different brand). The quality of the bugpin cartridge was non existing and was shaking allover the place. To be honest, I stopped using bugpins for lining after that rather use tight long tapered needles, #35's for tiny details. ( These for example ).

If you're using regular needles, the wrong combination of tip and needle might do the same, I reckon?

fylfot

Donator  
Premium
First Name
david
Two great answers and totally agree, if your liner needles ate too puny the will flex and bend, i think malin uses a single needle but it's quite fat. i never go smaller than a 3rl.

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Two great answers and totally agree, if your liner needles ate too puny the will flex and bend, i think malin uses a single needle but it's quite fat. i never go smaller than a 3rl.
I usually use a #1401 cart Da Vinci. Works great. I would stick to the high quality brands when using single needles.

I started using #1201 and #1001 now, but that's my neocarts from inkmachines, and they only work to scorpion rotary. I love all thicknesses of single needles :)