Building a really slow coil shader for stipling 1-3rl, Possible?

soulskript

Premium
First Name
Sebastian
soulskript
What the title say

Got this builder in ukraine that got me my coil liner and its awesome (dont have much to compare with, but i love it).
@red.beards

He said he thinks he can do it, but i never see anyone running a coil machine that slow, only pens. You gurus, what do you say?

I'm really into learning this style of shading next but im not into pens at all.

example

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
I think this was made with coils in mind.

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
seems to me that if you had a longer throw with a hard hit you could get it to space out pretty well and still put dots in. setting it up like a whip shader or packer and just running it as slow as possible?

I'm just guessing here.

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572

soulskript

Premium
First Name
Sebastian
soulskript
I think this was made with coils in mind.
Yeah I dont know, seems like a pain to get the timing right and sounds like it does more than a few cycles every time it kicks in. I'll have to do some research

seems to me that if you had a longer throw with a hard hit you could get it to space out pretty well and still put dots in. setting it up like a whip shader or packer and just running it as slow as possible?

I'm just guessing here.
Thanks for taking the time.
I really should get into building, I love them coils! Just feels alot to take in at the moment.

Do you really need a hard hit with the small needles? in this video it looks super soft and the machine sounds like its dying haha. But the effect is so nice!

Edit: same thing with the WH irons one, a few cycles each go.
I'll order the slow shader from the ukranian and hope for the best, they go for 100-120$, so its not that big a risk. It'll probably do tighter peppershading okay anyhow

Last edited:

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
even workhorse said lighter hits won't work as well

it needs that punch because it's bogging so much is what I was getting out of it

soulskript

Premium
First Name
Sebastian
soulskript
even workhorse said lighter hits won't work as well

it needs that punch because it's bogging so much is what I was getting out of it
Ah yeah makes sense, the needle would get stuck while whipping i guess.

davidwedelin

Premium
First Name
David
Itā€™s totally possible. Just try to combine all the parameters for a slow running machine and it should get you down to pretty low numbers. Long geometry, heavy a-bar, thinner gauge springs, high uf capacitor (68uf or u can even try 100uf), 10 or 12layer coils and set it up for a long throw šŸ˜Ž