• Later today, the site will be offline for essential server upgrades. This upgrade should run without any problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Can you go very dark with a light grey wash?

Newbbb

Basic
First Name
Dan
I done quite a bit of shading with a grey wash.

i used mixing solution and black ink to mix my shades, i done a few cups, 1 half full, next quarter and last one with just a couple of drops black.

now they all looked so dark, i mean even the cup with 2 drops black and the rest mixing solution, once i tattooed it all, it literally just looks black, will it fade much when healing because i dont understand why the hell its so dark lol

Dzikichrzan

Premium
First Name
Jakub
@dzikichrzan
Do it one pass - you barely can see anything, go over again and again and you have darker and darker tone, simple. Of course you shouldnt achieve your dark tones by doing that. Im also not saying you will be able to do pitch Black filling but you know what i mean...

Newbbb

Basic
First Name
Dan
Do it one pass - you barely can see anything, go over again and again and you have darker and darker tone, simple. Of course you shouldnt achieve your dark tones by doing that. Im also not saying you will be able to do pitch Black filling but you know what i mean...
I knew i shouldn't of mixed my own grey wash, im normally pretty good with solid colours, think my problem is i hate seeing any patchy work so if i see patches i keep going over it.

any tips on how to make it fall out lol, i only done it today, pretty sure its deffiently going to be a shade off full black, i could just tell once i was finished😖

hot water? Germaline? Must be a ink destroyer out there lol...

Torb

Premium
Media
First Name
Torbjorn
I knew i shouldn't of mixed my own grey wash, im normally pretty good with solid colours, think my problem is i hate seeing any patchy work so if i see patches i keep going over it.

any tips on how to make it fall out lol, i only done it today, pretty sure its deffiently going to be a shade off full black, i could just tell once i was finished😖

hot water? Germaline? Must be a ink destroyer out there lol...
I have had the same trouble. You really have to go super light with greywash. It will lighten up a bit when it's healed though.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Washes works like watercolors. Every time you add a layer, you add an amount of pigment.

If you want it to be an "opaque shade", you have to use a black and white mix (called opaque grey if you buy it).

When your tattoo is healed for a good while you can try going over it with white to make it lighter. It won't look like a shaded grey tattooed with washes, it will more get the look of a shade tattooed with opaque grey.

I've done that as an experiment and it works surprisingly well.

It's only 2,5 months since I did it though, so I can't tell if it will hold up well.

BEFORE TATTOOING WHITE ON TOP OF DARK SHADES:
20200614_175257.jpg

AFTER TATTOOING WHITE ON TOP OF DARK SHADES. HEALED 2,5 MONTHS:
20210405_090225.jpg

Be careful not to overwork the skin when tattooing the white though.

I actually hand poked this, which worked great. You can of course do it with a machine as well.

Newbbb

Basic
First Name
Dan
Washes works like watercolors. Every time you add a layer, you add an amount of pigment.

If you want it to be an "opaque shade", you have to use a black and white mix (called opaque grey if you buy it).

When your tattoo is healed for a good while you can try going over it with white to make it lighter. It won't look like a shaded grey tattooed with washes, it will more get the look of a shade tattooed with opaque grey.

I've done that as an experiment and it works surprisingly well.

It's only 2,5 months since I did it though, so I can't tell if it will hold up well.

BEFORE TATTOOING WHITE ON TOP OF DARK SHADES:
View attachment 25629

AFTER TATTOOING WHITE ON TOP OF DARK SHADES. HEALED 2,5 MONTHS:
View attachment 25630

Be careful not to overwork the skin when tattooing the white though.

I actually hand poked this, which worked great. You can of course do it with a machine as well.
Iv done this loads of times on a tribal cover up i had, “bits of tribal were still showing through” it works to some extent but you have to think about it, majority of time the ink will only sit ontop of the existing ink so when that white fades away as it always does it will be back to square one.

your tattoo looks really good, i hope them colours do stay for you as that is one of my favourite colours, i think it should as it dident look solid black before, not like tribal anyway

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Thanks, it's the first tattoo I ever tattooed on human skin (my own thigh 😊), so it's exactly 4 years old now.

Yeah, I expect the white to fade, I'm planning on tattooing more white on top of the already tattooed white though. (And the rest of the shaded leafs as well).

Post a photo of the too dark shading when healed, would be interesting to see.

Newbbb

Basic
First Name
Dan
Thanks, it's the first tattoo I ever tattooed on human skin (my own thigh 😊), so it's exactly 4 years old now.

Yeah, I expect the white to fade, I'm planning on tattooing more white on top of the already tattooed white though. (And the rest of the shaded leafs as well).

Post a photo of the too dark shading when healed, would be interesting to see.
When did you use the white? Not 4 years ago? I would post pics but im no a premium member so dont think i can, its also my first tattoo on skin on my own thigh! Big a4😂

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
The white is 2,5 months healed on photo, which I took yesterday 😊

Remove Ads

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.