Candy Skull Girl

flashhighland

Premium
Media
First Name
Steve
This is tonights effort. It's a Candy skull girl or day of the dead or whatever you want to call these nowadays.
I really wanted one of these but my tattooist talked me out of it saying that they'd grown common,... then went and did 2 amazing ones a few week later. :icon_evil:

For this I browsed the internet for a portrait photo I liked, printed it out and sketched on the face markings to try and follow the contours of her skull the best I could. Stenciled it, outlined and shaded all the black and then put in the colour.
It's 12:30 ish now, i'd like to of carried on and done the hair etc, but it's late and i'd already cocked up (as I do with everything I do) by not putting any vaseline on when doing her eyes and so they don't look anything like i'd planned as I kind of just messed up the skin.
Well, i'm learning with each one anyhow.

Here's just after i'd done the black shading.

candyskull bw.jpg

After the colour.

candyskull.jpg

Feedback welcome as always. (By the way, if i'm uploading too many threads of my work, just say, i've just seen i've done the last 3 :icon_redface: ).

Steve

Urrrgghgh... this looked ok (ish) last night after midnight, just got up and had a look and i'm put out. Colours look flat and not gone in well. I may defrost tomorrow and finish it!

Remove Ads

Attachments

X DEBS X

Basic
First Name
Debbie
Another nice practice piece!:icon_cheesygrin: You are not posting too many threads so don't stop! im loving seeing your work as every piece you do is my cup of tea!:icon_smile:

I like how i can see that you have a style. You say you cocked up - i can tell that u know exactly in your mind how you want the finished piece to look but its frustrating isnt it when you cant quite get the results how you wanted them. Its bugs the hell out me when i practice - but thats what practice is about, everytime we do something wrong, next time we will do it right.

If i were you, i would attempt a small tattoo now on a family member or a willing friend, just to get the feel of real skin as its quite a bit different from pig.:icon_smile:

flashhighland

Premium
Media
First Name
Steve
Cheers Debs I really appreciate that. Yeah, I think if I had a day to concentrate on a piece rather than doing it so late at night i'd probably do a better job and not make silly mistakes that make all the difference. I was gutted about the eyes, not using the vaseline just meant the skin kinda tore and so couldn't put the detail in I wanted. I needed more time to added darker shading to the colours to give the face contours. I have it in the freezer in case I want to give it a go over.
My girlfriend says she wants to be the first, she wants a really small blue star... haha,.. she's clearly a bit sceptical to say she has more than me! :icon_rolleyes:
Glad you like my work anyhow. It's good to hear coming from you as your works great. (Mutual ass kissing!). :icon_cheesygrin:

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Steve,
Nice job as usual my friend. I always look forward to seeing what your up to, really enjoy your posts so keep them coming!
Now...I was skeptical when I first saw the outline and the dark shading on the jawbone that it was too dark, you have proved me wrong with the coloring and made it look perfectly natural, Kudos! I also dont think the eyes are bad at all rather i think you did a good job to be doing this late into the evening. I know from first hand experience how those late nights tatts go, Ive done a few of them myself!
I do have a few questions for you: Did you have shades of black or did you just dip in black and water to dilute? Its just out of curiosity and nothing more. I generally start with a very diluted gray wash (depending on skin color) and work my way into the darker tones...just wondering about your technique.
Second, youve blended the jaw line wonderfully, did you just cover the entire thing with white and it came out that way? Or did you have to adjust it any more than that???

Again, please keep posting....excellent work!:icon_mrgreen:

flashhighland

Premium
Media
First Name
Steve
Hi Mike. Thanks for your comments mate I do like to get feedback, good or bad. Right, the black shading was done just with 4 pots of different strengths of diluted black. The Hawkins was just done with white at the edge going to blue into the black shading which was then blended out with flesh tone.
I actually used so many different shades of many colours only to end up with a piece that looks like it only has a couple of colours in.
I was super excited about this after I'd finished with just the outline, it was looking cool, but just didn't get the colours nailed.
So in short it's said you should start with the darkest colours working your way up to the lightest colours with the idea that you don't contaminate/dirty the lighter colours with darker ones. Having said this I find with just the different washes of black I start with the lightest wash and work upto black otherwise I find that you end up getting more black than you want in the diluted pots. Other than that, I just blag my way through and make it up as I go along.. Haha.. That's my technique!

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Hi Mike. Thanks for your comments mate I do like to get feedback, good or bad. Right, the black shading was done just with 4 pots of different strengths of diluted black. The Hawkins was just done with white at the edge going to blue into the black shading which was then blended out with flesh tone.
I actually used so many different shades of many colours only to end up with a piece that looks like it only has a couple of colours in.
I was super excited about this after I'd finished with just the outline, it was looking cool, but just didn't get the colours nailed.
So in short it's said you should start with the darkest colours working your way up to the lightest colours with the idea that you don't contaminate/dirty the lighter colours with darker ones. Having said this I find with just the different washes of black I start with the lightest wash and work upto black otherwise I find that you end up getting more black than you want in the diluted pots. Other than that, I just blag my way through and make it up as I go along.. Haha.. That's my technique!

Actually, I have read many articles lately, and you are correct. When using color you would run from dark to light, again, as you said so as not to cross contaminate the lighter colors and dirty them up. With blacks however, you run from light to dark. You can always make it darker after you start out. Im a hit and miss kinda guy myself still trying to find my "groove" .....we will get there.:icon_mrgreen:

Now post some more of that great work of yours!