• Later today, the site will be offline for essential server upgrades. This upgrade should run without any problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Clipcord/Footswitch cable question

dirtnail

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Pieter
I've been looking at a wire gauge chart at American Wire Gauge (AWG) Cable Conductor Size Chart / Table
to figure out what would be proper wire for a clipcord and footswitch cable...
I know power supplies can provide up to 3A to 5A...so I concluded a AWG of 16 (max 3.7 amperes) or 15 (max 4.7 amperes) would suffice.
The I look at some clipcords and see a lot use 22 AWG... which would be max amps of 0.9...
Footswitches seem to range from 22 to 18 AWG (max 2.3 amperes).
So now I am confused... why use max 0.9 to 2.3 amp cables on a power supply with max 3+ amp?

are there any technically inclined people who can shed some light on this for me? :)

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
I think I can help you, you know me already... denk ik :ROFLMAO:
As you may know I'm an electronics and electrics engineer.
What a power supply has as max amps doesn't mean it delivers that at normal tattooing.
Normal coil or pen machines work at about 6W which is 0,5 to 1 amps aprox.
Thus you could theoretically use AWG 22, but I advise to use what you mentioned AWG 16, basically because it has less resistance and thus can deliver a good variation in amps you need during the work.
Here's a picture explaining this:
capture-20210521-103857.png
It's like when you pinch a garden hose during watering. The more you pinch (more resistance) the less water comes out.
To have a good steady supply of power during your work it is important that there's less resistance in the wiring, good contacts and "oversized" cables provide just that.
The value put on an a power supply is usually the max peak current it can deliver. Meaning not the continues (RMS) power it can delivery during 4-6 hours. This value is normally about 50-70% of the peak value which is why most power supplies seem "over rated".
Groetjes (Greetz) Miranda.

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
my old coffee pot was nice enough to give me the perfect wire for my clip cords. It wasn't using it anymore.
The extension cord offered, but I thought it would be a little too heavy to be pulling back on my machine all day.

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
my old coffee pot was nice enough to give me the perfect wire for my clip cords. It wasn't using it anymore.
The extension cord offered, but I thought it would be a little too heavy to be pulling back on my machine all day.
For me it is more like: no coffee no tattoo..... ๐Ÿ™ƒ

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
That must be the BEST education for a tattooer!!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
It comes in handy, that's true. But if I'd be a lousy tattooer if I didn't have any artistic skills.
I paint and draw since I was 14. I have no arts education but on more than one occasion I was told to do more with my artistic skills.
I don't know, it's a hobby for me, I don't consider myself an artist or tattooer, I do it for fun, learn on the way and suppose to get better through experience.
I design and build IOT home security systems, I program and build weird stuff, I like doing that and seem to be good at it.
I have a UV sterilization box, it needs to function for 40 minutes but doesn't have a timer. So I built it into the box, now I only need to start it and forget about it, it'll automatically shut off after 40 min. I could have incorporated something more like getting a message through Google home telling me that it has terminated (I did that with my washing machine, very handy). Things like that.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
It comes in handy, that's true. But if I'd be a lousy tattooer if I didn't have any artistic skills.
I paint and draw since I was 14. I have no arts education but on more than one occasion I was told to do more with my artistic skills.
I don't know, it's a hobby for me, I don't consider myself an artist or tattooer, I do it for fun, learn on the way and suppose to get better through experience.
I design and build IOT home security systems, I program and build weird stuff, I like doing that and seem to be good at it.
I have a UV sterilization box, it needs to function for 40 minutes but doesn't have a timer. So I built it into the box, now I only need to start it and forget about it, it'll automatically shut off after 40 min. I could have incorporated something more like getting a message through Google home telling me that it has terminated (I did that with my washing machine, very handy). Things like that.

Haha must be great to be able to control the technique instead of like me, totally being in hands of it ๐Ÿ˜…

Yeah, of course it all comes down to the art part of tattooing ๐Ÿ™‚ I just meant having knowledge about the technical side must be a big help when it comes to machines and stencil machine and what not. The frustration not knowing anything about it - feels terrible sometimes!! And time consuming!!

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.