P Coil vrs rotary

crow3030

Premium
First Name
lee
whats your thoughts on this i use the coil machine for linning and the rotary for shading
somehow i think the rotary does a better job on colouring and shading maybe thats just me but anyways whats your thoughts anyone else use a rotary machine

Koi

Premium
First Name
Sharron
I bought a rotary from powerline supplies, but only used it for lining. I just couldnt get used to it. Whether it just doesnt seem right because it is so quiet, i dont know, but i do now prefer the traditional coiled machines for lining and colouring.

RTats

RTats
Premium
First Name
Rob
whats your thoughts on this i use the coil machine for linning and the rotary for shading
somehow i think the rotary does a better job on colouring and shading maybe thats just me but anyways whats your thoughts anyone else use a rotary machine
I know this is quite an old thread so I hope folks dont mind me readdressing it.

I started using rotary (Blackcat's from Powerline, and Stealth from TattooShop) because the best time to practise was evenings after my 3yr old went to bed. I get great results from it as in quality of linework and solid colours. Recipients heal really quickly with no reported traumas - so it would appear that I am tattooing safely and happily with the machines.

What worries me though is whether or not I might, and I say might because I could well be completing them within perfectly acceptable timeframes, I might be taking longer to complete tattoos because I use rotary machines as opposed to coil.

So the question I am constantly asking myself are?

Am I tattooing fast enough? If I am taking longer than I should is it due to experience or is due to machine? If its machine, then is it because of rotary vs coil?

But one question at a time - if I choose to use rotary should I expect to take longer to get results? (two different scenarios to answer for)
- solid blacks (tribals and maori)
- black & grey (portraits etc)

These types of questions are where I think an apprenticeship helps, but we do the best with what we have, and so I have you guys. Please I am interested to discuss this point, facts, experiences, opinions or be directed to any articles etc.

RTats

RTats
Premium
First Name
Rob
These types of questions are where I think an apprenticeship helps, but we do the best with what we have, and so I have you guys.
when I read that part back it perhaps could be construed negatively - definitely not intended that way - I am grateful to find this group and resource.

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hi Rob,

I don't have any experience of using a rotary myself - although the lower noise level does appeal to me (incidentally - I'll sneak in a Q... what can I use as a bumper to lower noise on a coil machine - tried masking tape but messy n fiddly?....)
Anyway - back to the rotary, my good pal AJ - the pro :)rolleyes:), he says the rotary's are just slower in their motion - described to me like a sewing machine working - and this is why it takes longer to complete a tat. The revolution of the needle is overall slower than the straight up/down of a coil machine
He also explained this is where the skin damage comes in - because there is apparently a tendency to overwork the same area due to the slower speed i.e. not knowing when to move the machine on... I asked him about them as I am still toying with the idea - but thought maybe I'd benefit from mastering the coil first.
From what you are saying - it would seem you are handling the rotary very well.
AJ has tried them - but didn't rate them - overall it's a personal choice thing I guess!

RTats

RTats
Premium
First Name
Rob
thanks Dawn.

I guess I could do a really easy experiment to see... I am finishing off a maori sleeve on Saturday and have a series of large solid black triangles to fill... I could just setup the coil and the rotary and see... see why didnt I think of that?

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris
I have 2 x stealths, I use them for line work as you get a spot on outline with no trembling, yes i found the vibration of the coils affected the lines especially on a fine grouping. You can crank the voltage right up with no adverse heating, my finger & knuckles used to burn from the heat over the bridge.

I think, what feels best and what you are confident with wins all the time, whether its an expensive coil machine or a *£80 rotary?? I am no expert but i am comfortable with the rotary for outlining

RTats

RTats
Premium
First Name
Rob
I am no expert but i am comfortable with the rotary for outlining
Yep I agree I get on with rotary for outlining just fine and I doubt I could work faster at the moment with anything else.

Perhaps it is just experience, perhaps I am not slow at all, just a niggling thought.

Filling large solid areas (blacks etc) is really the thing I am still wondering about.