Council requirments for studio.

Ronan73

Premium
First Name
Ronan
Hi everyone,

I need to pick peoples brains, mainly uk centric,

Without going into details, I spent 14 months in hospital recently and have to change career. After a bout of depression on the back of major surgery and the knowledge my life will now be a lot shorter than I had hoped I have had to rethink work life and family and friends.

I always had an interest in art but have taken it more seriously recently. It got me out of my depression and gave me something to focus on other than a death sentence. Some people would have seen a small section of my work on here. Anyway I also had an interest in tattooing. I tried setting up a shop with a friend about 20/25 yrs ago but as we were both at college and working it slowly went to the wall. Things were so different back then.lol. Tattooing is now a massive business and highly regulated which isn't a bad thing...

So to my question at last.lol.
I want to set up an art studio / tattooing unit. 95% for my own entertainment but also for private tattooing work. In the UK we have laws on tattoo parlour set ups. probably the same in most countries. But id like peoples help preempting the inspections and their requirements.
I have looked up and been reading peoples experiences on here on their home set ups and my wife has a degree in property law so I know how to approach property user/use classes . I also know about hand wash sinks and hot water and so on.

I would like to hear all experiences good and bad. Also pictures of peoples set ups would be great. there are lots of loop holes but id like to know what you all did and what problems you ran into.

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate all help.

ThatguyTony

Premium
First Name
Tony
Not wanting to hijack, or take away from whatever terribleness it sounds like you've been through, but where in Birmingham do you live? I ask as I've got a lot of family between Sheldon and Lichfield and visit there every summer so might be able to drop in for a small piece, or send people your way, if you ever get the shop sorted out.

Good luck with it, and I'm glad to hear you found a way to fix yourself up to some extent. Depression is a horrible thing and I really wouldn't wish it upon anybody. Take care Ronan, and hope to see the set up soon!

Ronan73

Premium
First Name
Ronan
Hey Tony,
Thanks for the kind wishes. Yep depression is no joke. Im very fortunate that my bout was short lived and caused by morphine and other painkillers which I stopped taking and came out of it. But it was a hard dark road.
Sheldon and lichfield are on the other side of Birmingham to me but I do have access to a tattoo parlour in a place called Minworth which is a 5 min drive from Sheldon.
Im doing a house refurb at the moment and probably wont do a home set up now. I have other plans but part of it is the free use of the shop I was talking about. If you are ever in the country please feel free to contact me and we can swap some advice.....and ill tattoo you all you like.lol.

Thanks again and take care

Pete

ThatguyTony

Premium
First Name
Tony
Hey Tony,
Thanks for the kind wishes. Yep depression is no joke. Im very fortunate that my bout was short lived and caused by morphine and other painkillers which I stopped taking and came out of it. But it was a hard dark road.
Sheldon and lichfield are on the other side of Birmingham to me but I do have access to a tattoo parlour in a place called Minworth which is a 5 min drive from Sheldon.
Im doing a house refurb at the moment and probably wont do a home set up now. I have other plans but part of it is the free use of the shop I was talking about. If you are ever in the country please feel free to contact me and we can swap some advice.....and ill tattoo you all you like.lol.

Thanks again and take care

Pete
No way! My uncle and his family live in Minworth. Farvale Road/Lindridge drive if you know it. I spent pretty much every school holiday either in Minworth or Mere Green as a kid when I'd visit my dad. A lot of memories of that area. Is the tattoo place down by the fox and dogs by the lights? I seem to remember one being there years ago. Anyway, whatever path you take I'll be glad to drop in for something next time I'm around either for a pint or some ink.... šŸ˜‚

Take care of yourself Pete!

Cheers mate