Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Couple of packing questions

ThatguyTony

Premium
First Name
Tony
Hey guys, so I did this little tribal design I made myself today and was going in to fill with a 9rs on a shader at around 7v. It didn't seem to he doing too well so after about 15 minutes if not getting great results, I switched to a 9rl and finished it off.

Long story short, it will need a rough up as it cane out patchy as hell from what I can see and I didn't want to do any more damage than necessary. So, what I would like to know is the following:

1. Would I be better using magnum, round magnum or flat needles to get a nice deep black? ( I know ink and other variables count, but just interested in needles for now)
  2. Would I be better going at a higher voltage and working down to suit, or the other way round?
  3. When I filled in the white parts it seemed to take quite nice, gaps filled, consistent tone, etc, but after a while, and now still (about 8 hours later) there seems to be spots of black in it. I cleaned my needle thoroughly in a mix of water, dettol and isopropyl alcohol and they were clean before I began, so if this just excess that is stuck temporarily or is there cross contamination with the inks?
Sorry for the long post, just sitting here wondering what my next move should be.
Thanks for the help! 😏

Attachments

marked 4 life

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Andy
It is purely down to your machine and technique, voltage means nothing as every machine is different so there is no magic number, round shaders are fine, learn how to pack with a round shader before moving on to mags as you will destroy skin if you do not know what you are doing, small over lapping circles with enough voltage to puncture the skin and deposit ink is all you need.

fylfot

Donator  
Premium
First Name
david
Looks solid black tony, not sure whats happening with the white, just see how it heals. I find rounds great for packing small pieces of tribal but take too long on large areas so you have to go mag, normally 9 standard. Sometimes it flies in, sometimes it fights me all the way and takes forever and i want to cry.

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
with colour id personally use a fresh needle and tip for each colour that way im 100% i wont get any of the colour contaminating my new colour..i dont pack black or colour with rounds really i use a round mags but iv been shown propper technique and practiced loads with them..id use a round when i cant get in with a mag

Last edited:

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Looks nice, but about speed - I don't understand why it seems to be the common opinion that shading is done best at high speed. Imagine trying to do a real nice soft shading with a pencil on paper - you're not likely to do it better at high speed, but rather the opposite, low speed. And if you're not used to it - even lower. To me that's the general for learning no matter what - you begin slow, and when you get the hang of it you can do it faster.

When I first started shading I did it at the lowest speed possible on my machine (a rotary). And did that for a long time.

And as for white - I change to a completely new needle when doing white.

TexasPT

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
there is a sweet spot for sure when shading. If you're too slow, you'll get rake marks. If you're too fast you'll just pack color in. You have to deconstruct the process and realize that every time your needle hits it leaves a mark...you want those marks gradually farther from one another. if your machine is flying...you better be. if it's SUPER slow...you better be.

Dazza

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Daryl
I can’t see the tattoo but I thought he was asking about packing black and not about shading :rolleyes:

marked 4 life

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Andy
When i colour pack i have 2 machines set up, 1 for rs the other for mags.
I dont use different tips for each colour but rinse my tip in my 2 rinse cups, 1 dirty cup and 1 clean cup, i use the same tip at the end of the tattoo for applying white also.

If you are worried about accidentally muddying your colours, squirt a shot of alcohol through the cut out of your tube over the rinse cup, this will remove the colour from the tip no problem 👍

ThatguyTony

Premium
First Name
Tony
Thanks for all of the comments and feedback, guys. All taken on board. Yes I was looking specifically for colour packing advice, but I just got my intenze grey wash set delivered so probably gonna be looking for shading tips soon too....

One thing I have noticed though, thinking back, is that I seem to be getting a lot of ink leaking out on to my guiding finger (middle finger, on the skin) and also a lot of dried ink inside the tip. I expect the dry ink is due to not dipping as regularly as possible, but why the spill over o to my finger, is this normal?

Goldwingdaz

Donator  
Premium
First Name
Daz
A couple of things spring to mind, firstly, dipping into the ink and filling the tip too much can cause it to spit from the hole onto your hand, also, splatter from the needles onto the finger can occur if the machine and needle tension are not right, (is it making a lot of splatter on the tattoo making you wipe more often than you would expect to?), but you will almost always get some on that finger, its just one of those things. Dried ink is def a sign of not dipping into a water cup every few runs to clean the older ink and loosen things up. A quick dip then a shake n dry before re dipping in ink and carrying on will give far better results and less problems, and will actually save time in the long run.