Cross Contamination, Spray Bottle, Frame/Coils,etc.

ASH13

Basic
First Name
TWM
The first guy I tatted was a real bleeder. And it made me realize that from touching him and then my spray bottles, tattoo machine, power supply etc., that they are probably contaminated now.

How can I clean and/or prevent this?

khosmy

Premium
Media
First Name
Edgar Valerio
To sterilize it all now, i would advice, for the bottles, do like it was a baby bottle, really hot water and scrub with an appropriate product, the rest of the gear clean all with alcohol and/or another strong product.

Next time use plastic wrap to protect your spray (even if he wasn't a bleeder, you always touch the area with your gloves, than grab the spray, and the gloves are dirty, so you get the idea), ink bottles do the same, use protecting plastic sleeves for the clipcord (and for the machine as well if you want), the power supply, keep it at a place where it is easily accessible but easily protected from possible contamination.

Always lose some time before each tattoo, clean all with alcohol, plastic wrap all the things and surfaces you'll be using, keep it all protected, so that in the end, you just need to take all off and put it in the disposable bin, than clean all with alcohol again and do that every single time you tattoo, that way you will keep all things clean and disinfected. (there are better products out there than alcohol to disinfect and clean all the stuff, just look around).

ASH13

Basic
First Name
TWM
I always spray everything with Lysol and wipe down with alcohol already, before and after, tattooing. I will have to get some plastic wrap.

khosmy

Premium
Media
First Name
Edgar Valerio
Do that than, plastic wrap is always a plus, you can never have to much to keep stuff clean.

Also if you are a smoker or like to chew gum during a tattoo, use a mask, it's always a nice plus for the hygiene and also gives a nice impression, but thats a personal opinion of mine. :icon_wink:

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
Us a piece of cling film or a colour cap on your power supply knob to act as a barrier, on spray bottles use a sandwich bag with a tiny piece of the corner cut off so only the nozzle sticks out and, pick up all ink bottles with a clean paper towel and shake, unscrew the top or uncap it again with the clean paper towel and pour, dont touch the spout against the ink cap.

Just think about creating a barrier between the equipment and you and the client.

To clean your possibly contaminated surfaces I would use trigene.

http://www.bioch.ox.ac.uk/aspsite/services/mediakitchen/documents/trigeneapplications.pdf